Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Grimsby v Sheffield United 1980 footage
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Grimsby v Sheffield United 1980 footage

This thread currently has 2,609 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
October 31, 2023, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
The game clashed with Hull FC v Hull KR RL Cup Final at Wembley, so every camera crew in the Hull-centric region were down there I expect.

Dear old Charles summed it up on RH for us though - with all the fans on the pitch at the end I think he said something along the lines of “no one gives a stuff about rugby league in Grimsby…”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
Fenners
November 2, 2023, 2:52pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from It Bites
I’m guessing if there is any Roly Godfrey would know about it ?

He's always told me it wasn't filmed. But there are random cine clips I have of Barnsley (h) in 78/79 and Exter 71/72 filmed from the Main Stand so always the chance someone else filmed it. We can live in hope.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
chaos33
November 2, 2023, 3:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Germo66
Great match, only 14 at the time. I used to have an official audio cassette of the match, but have never seen any video of the game.
Happy days UTM

Yeah there was an audio cassette of the match and some interviews with players and Kerr. It included the Town Hall reception too. I loved it. Played it and played it as a kid. Wish I’d still got it. Think it was produced by Radio Humberside. Dave Gibbins presented it. Might’ve been called ‘Up the Mariners’.?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
ginnywings
November 2, 2023, 3:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
There may not be a video of the game to watch, but I still have the memories in my head.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
Roast Em Bobby
November 2, 2023, 5:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
I was a 10 year old perched on a crush barrier at the front of Main Stand near the tunnel. Can't picture the goals in my head though. A very vague recollection that the goals were shown on Calendar on the following Monday but not 100% - would love to see some footage if there is any.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
The Yard Dog
November 2, 2023, 5:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
I have about 30 full match dvds from the late 80's early 90's copied from VHS videos, the quality is of its day, but watchable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
ancientmariner54
November 2, 2023, 6:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Fenners
3rd May 1980

Grimsby Town are crowned Division Three champions after beating Sheffield United 4-0 at Blundell Park in front of 19,276.

Does anyone remember ever seeing videoTV footage of this game?

We aren’t aware anything exists. Can anyone tell me otherwise?

UTM

Don't know about footage but one of the highlights of watching town for me .hot day and the atmosphere was electric ,we battered them . Got to hand it to utd supporters though , they didn't stop singing for the entire game. Magical match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
SouthLakesMariner
November 2, 2023, 10:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +939
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I was a 10 year old perched on a crush barrier at the front of Main Stand near the tunnel. Can't picture the goals in my head though. A very vague recollection that the goals were shown on Calendar on the following Monday but not 100% - would love to see some footage if there is any.

I remember Kev Drinkell rifling one into the roof of the net from the edge of the box, but no recollection of his other two. I seem to recall Joe Waters’ goal was a brilliant individual run and finish from distance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
bradzmilne
November 3, 2023, 9:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,422
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from The Yard Dog
I have about 30 full match dvds from the late 80's early 90's copied from VHS videos, the quality is of its day, but watchable.

Always worth getting in touch with Bruce from OTD GTFC, to ensure it’s nothing that he doesn’t have copied.

That man does an unbelievable job.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Grimsby v Sheffield United 1980 footage

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.