Expectations

This thread currently has 3,330 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 30, 2023, 3:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,278
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from ginnywings
Talking about still getting to the play offs is fanciful.

It certainly will be if the new manager says that when he first meets the players. There is a LOT of football to be played this season.

We are 12 points away from a play off place with 90 points available. Can results swing in the positive for us while teams currently above us go on bad runs? Of course, this is the fourth division!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
1mickylyons
October 30, 2023, 3:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
From the current league position I'd settle for top half now before a ball was kicked I hoped for play offs.Hope we can get to 3rd round in FA Cup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
horsforthmariner
October 30, 2023, 3:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 9
I think some people are a bit deluded Im afraid. We are in a relegation battle. The idea of play offs is fanciful.

A good season is we pick up some wins throughout November and we gradually move up the league finishing 13th or 14th and we feel pretty comfortable from about February.

An acceptable season is 22nd.

The problem is that we are so low on confidence and we could well continue to lose throughout November. Then we have another tough run of games in January and we are stuck in the bottom 2. Nobody good will come to us and we end up really struggling and relying on two worse team than us.

I think the most likely scenario is somewhere in between where we struggle, but somewhere along the way we pick up a bit of steam and have a bit if run that will take us into either just above or just below 50pts and end up in 19-21.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 30, 2023, 3:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,278
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I think some people are a bit deluded Im afraid. We are in a relegation battle. The idea of play offs is fanciful.

A good season is we pick up some wins throughout November and we gradually move up the league finishing 13th or 14th and we feel pretty comfortable from about February.

An acceptable season is 22nd.

The problem is that we are so low on confidence and we could well continue to lose throughout November. Then we have another tough run of games in January and we are stuck in the bottom 2. Nobody good will come to us and we end up really struggling and relying on two worse team than us.

I think the most likely scenario is somewhere in between where we struggle, but somewhere along the way we pick up a bit of steam and have a bit if run that will take us into either just above or just below 50pts and end up in 19-21.

It isn't November yet! 5 wins in our next 10 games and we'll be safely mid table.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
horsforthmariner
October 30, 2023, 4:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 9
We're a third of the way through the season. if we win 5 out of the next ten we'd still only be on 29pts from 26 games which is still dodgy at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 30, 2023, 5:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
No way I’m expecting play offs but it’s amazing how clubs have changed their fortunes when appointing the right Manager, see Forest & Middlesbrough last two seasons. A few wins on the bounce and you can quickly move up any league.

Not sure we quite have the players capable of that but who knows with a different Manager, different tactics and a little change in our luck then who knows, maybe just maybe?

However, right now I’ll settle for mediocrity as long as I’m not biting my fingernails come April !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
GrimRob
October 30, 2023, 5:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,411
Gold Stars: 113
Comfortable midtable finish, few wins though and will start looking up not down. Got a lot of the hardest fixtures out of the way already. Hope the season isn't over in February. But it's certainly not over now. It's not over until we get appraching 50 points.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 36
chaos33
October 30, 2023, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
For me, it’s criminal if a relegation battle becomes a reality. Club of our size. We have to fight that off.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
pkscouse
October 30, 2023, 5:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +66
Gold Stars: 3
Mid Table please away from that relegation scare - oh and 3rd round with maybe a decent home tie  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
RonMariner
October 30, 2023, 6:10pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,718
Gold Stars: 226
Given that we finished level on points with the team in tenth place last season, and given what seemed to be some really positive signings in the summer, my expectations for this season were that we would be challenging for a play off place. A view, as others have pointed out, that seemed plausible given some of the early performances.

But now, whoever comes in, I really cant see us being able to do that. I would like to think that we can move steadily up the table. A top ten finish would be a very good outcome. That would probably mean picking up 50 points from 30 games, which is a tough ask from where we seem to be at now.

The new owners stated that the aim was to improve the squad in each transfer window. That being the case if they bring in some quality in January and more in the Summer I think it is reasonable to expect us to be competing for a play off spot next season.

That should be the ambition. Otherwise what is the point of just bumbling along in the middle and lower reaches of League two? It would be such a shame to lose the momentum created in the last two seasons.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Expectations

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.