Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 28 Guests

Next Town manager ?

This thread currently has 326,403 views. Print
204 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
October 30, 2023, 9:39am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,522
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Had anybody heard of Luke Williams at Notts County before they appointed him?
Look at what he's managed to do with them.

I'm not sure a 'big name' is needed such as the Cowleys etc.

I've just been reading this thread and was going to bring him up. Obviously not as a suggestion for manager there's no way he's going to come here but he started with West Ham as a coach working with young offenders.

The path to becoming a successful manager in football has no straight lines and past win ratios mean nothing. It's like when the data argument comes around, some believe the data from the last game is irrelevant because THAT game has gone and the next one will be new. Same with managers, the environment they worked in, the facilities, the players, the supporting staff, even down to small personal things like commuting times or time away from family can all melt into marginal factors which affect performance.

The reality is that despite the chit chat of who will do well and why, or rather who will be crap and why, no-one - board included - has a clue how the next manager will perform. Anyone from this forum could apply and present a great idea on paper but bringing the page to life is much more a difficult challenge. The board have the challenge now of looking at everything they have available to them and leaning on industry professionals to find someone they believe will suit the short and long term strategy.

Without knowing anything in depth and so having a very amateur view on it, I like the sound of Leam Richardson from all names listed so far. Dean Brennan seems and interesting one as he's getting a tune out of a consistently under performing Barnet.

I'm probably more aligned with those who've said it will be a left-field appointment and someone younger with much more of a coaching background than managing and we may see someone of the Jolley mould, coming in from a bigger club of the coaching staff, rather than a known manager who has experience under his belt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 2034
Croxton
October 30, 2023, 9:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,033
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from livosnose

After Eastwood , Mullarkey has been our worst signing .

Really? Disappointing collapse in confidence yes but Pyke was not the answer to any question fans were asking. Mullarkey gives plenty of effort but Pyke just doesn't seem arsed. Ainley arrived waving his sicknote (due diligence?) and is another body in a bunch of mish mash midfielders.

I still think that the spiral of form and morale hints at off field issues. We may never know but whatever sticking plaster was put on those issues was totally ineffective.

The silence from the ITK's on this board and around the club has been deafening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 2034
The_Laughing_Mariner
October 30, 2023, 9:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
Michael  Beale?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 2034
ska face
October 30, 2023, 10:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,992
Gold Stars: 859
Quoted from Croxton

The silence from the ITK's on this board and around the club has been deafening.

Absolutely begging everyone on here to find a new phrase.
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 2034
GibMariner
October 30, 2023, 10:46am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
ITK’s ?
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 2034
buckstown
October 30, 2023, 10:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,243
Gold Stars: 80
The manager search is fascinating. There are literally hundreds of highly qualified coaches out there but the key is finding one with leadership skills. As someone said earlier nobody had heard of the guy at Notts County and the same can be said for the people at Plymouth, Ipswich and many others
Find a leader and he finds the right coaches
The issue is that it’s a massive risk attempting to undercover a hidden gem, especially in our position and that’s why lots of clubs revert to the merry go round looking for safety
Burchnall is a good example, under achieved at Notts and FGR but doing ok as first team coach at wolves. Good coach, very average leadership skills
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 2034
LocalLadGTFC
October 30, 2023, 10:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,518
Gold Stars: 144
Club isn't taking applicants for the managers position so i'm told, which leads me to believe we have a shortlist of people we want and are going after primary targets.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 246 - 2034
forza ivano
October 30, 2023, 11:02am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +71 / -21
Approval: +15,316
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Club isn't taking applicants for the managers position so i'm told, which leads me to believe we have a shortlist of people we want and are going after primary targets.

Tbh I'd have been amazed if they did. Wouldn't surprise me if 1 position hasnt already been filled
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 2034
devs
October 30, 2023, 11:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Board will have 5/6 managers on a short list - business people like Jason and Andrew have said it's not a snap decision; they've been looking at this for six weeks
They will almost certainly have been taking soundings before Saturday - it's perhaps not ethical but it's the way of the world and the way successful business people operate

I hope the 'data' has suggested we need more attacking football etc but I think one of the main things is to motivate the squad

I'm 62 and have seen some right old shite over the years and this squad is much better than those teams; young posters trust me!

It's the basics that need improving - be ruthless at both ends

A mate of mine said we are top three 'box to box' but bottom three in both boxes - I think that's a good summing up

Just hope a fresh face, fresh ideas, fresh energy can turn things around and soon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 2034
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 30, 2023, 11:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,153
Gold Stars: 203
We’ve seen every type of perceivable manager ‘type’ over the past few years. The only one we’ve really not had is the ‘foreign’ approach (not including limbrick)

Hurst (and Scott) : up and coming managers

Holloway : big name manager

Jolley : left field coaching route

Bignot : ex high (ish) profile player

Woods : ex player

Slade : returning ex manager

The difference this time, is that I have a lot more trust in the owners than anytime over the past 20 years, in the hope that due diligence has been done. Like many on here, I was hopeful of a top 10, maybe even top 7, finish come the end of the season but now I’d take top 16!!!!!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 2034
204 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.