3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
October 23, 2023, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Or perhaps he isn't doing well enough when playing, like earlier this season and last, and the season before that with Oldham.

To me he's looked exactly like what he is, a player whose blown hot (first quarter of 21/22) and cold (second quarter of 21/22) down in the NL, and has continually struggled with the step up to EFL, and not just with us.

Personally I'd welcome him being tried further forward but definitely not in the role just in front of the back 4, he's looked a liability there. If he's going to be of any use at this level it's further forward were when he's caught out it's less damaging but maybe his passing might be key to unlocking defences in the final third.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
MuddyWaters
October 23, 2023, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from toontown
Or perhaps he isn't doing well enough when playing, like earlier this season and last, and the season before that with Oldham.

To me he's looked exactly like what he is, a player whose blown hot (first quarter of 21/22) and cold (second quarter of 21/22) down in the NL, and has continually struggled with the step up to EFL, and not just with us.

Personally I'd welcome him being tried further forward but definitely not in the role just in front of the back 4, he's looked a liability there. If he's going to be of any use at this level it's further forward were when he's caught out it's less damaging but maybe his passing might be key to unlocking defences in the final third.

Exactly this. He’s an 8 or a 10 and certainly not a 4.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
golfer
October 24, 2023, 7:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I nearly gave you a red x . I thought you were giving him marks out of 10 and not his position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
bedders78
October 24, 2023, 9:21am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Maringer
Let me just add, it's just silly to claim that a manager who is under pressure would deliberately avoid fielding a player who a fair chunk of the crowd seem to want us to have playing.

I suspect we'll see Khan start as he ought to be fully fit by now, though I wouldn't like to hazard a guess about the set up in midfield.

I think in either a 5-3-2 or a 4-5-1 there is a good chance the central midfield 3 will be Conteh, Holohan and Khan. Wing backs and you have Rose and Wilson up front or back 4 allows Eisa, Rose and Wilson.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
gobby
October 24, 2023, 9:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Why do people think Khan can play in centre of midfield? Was it not clearly obvious against Stockport that it isn’t his position! When Holohan departed we needed Andrews or Hunt to fill in for Gav’s absence, it clearly shouldn’t have been Khan in my opinion. 😎

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
diehardmariner
October 24, 2023, 1:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from toontown

No argument on any of those points from me here.  But that first one about not doing enough when playing seems almost unfair if he's getting dropped based on his scattered appearances when there's certainly plenty of players who have consistently underperformed all season in central midfield.  

Completely agree about where to play him too.

If Clifton is indeed out tonight, I hope it serves as a rest for the lad.  He never gets a proper rest, on the few occasions he does get dropped to the bench he ends up having to come on after 45 minutes.  Really think he would benefit from a few games out.  

Fully expect Andrew to come in and Hurst to stick with 5-3-2, which for a home game against a side 23rd in the table and having shipped 27 goals in 13 games would be very depressing.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
October 24, 2023, 4:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No way is he a 10, probably 7 at best.

Reply: 16 - 23
Rick12
October 24, 2023, 4:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from chaos33
Well that’s helpful then. Being without Clifton isn’t necessarily a bad thing, given his very middling performance levels. Whoever comes in has to play well. No excuses. We’ve got a squad and spent money. Time for these players to stand up and be counted.
Hope whoever comes in for Clifton tonight and if they do well  can keep their place. Sometimes managers in league clubs bottle it and go back to familiarity which is a killer emotionally for a young lad/player who has worked his nuts off to try to get in the team be it in reserve games/1st team fringe minutes.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
moosey_club
October 24, 2023, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from moosey_club

I am expecting a Hurst fantastical re-arranging of the line up entirely to avoid Hunt getting a run out.

Well....didn't expect him to be dumped altogether....did me completely there Paul.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 11:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Funny how players like Hunt become world beaters when they’re not playing. He’s done nothing since he came back, and doesn’t deserve to be in the team.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.