Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Dodorondon, October 23, 2023, 6:28pm
Hurst said that Clifton  would be missing tomorrow with 5 yellow cards but no mention was made of Rodger’s, who also collected his fifth yellow on Saturday.
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2023, 6:32pm; Reply: 1
Both out I think.
Posted by: Poojah, October 23, 2023, 6:33pm; Reply: 2
One of Rodgers’ bookings was in the trophy. I’m fairly confident that bookings / red cards are only applicable to that competition itself.
Posted by: ska face, October 23, 2023, 6:34pm; Reply: 3
Think cards in the pizza cup only count in that competition, which is why Osadebe was sent off against us for Bradford but played the following match.
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2023, 6:42pm; Reply: 4
Well that’s helpful then. Being without Clifton isn’t necessarily a bad thing, given his very middling performance levels. Whoever comes in has to play well. No excuses. We’ve got a squad and spent money. Time for these players to stand up and be counted.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2023, 9:27pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from chaos33
Well that’s helpful then. Being without Clifton isn’t necessarily a bad thing, given his very middling performance levels. Whoever comes in has to play well. No excuses. We’ve got a squad and spent money. Time for these players to stand up and be counted.

Don’t disagree with that.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2023, 10:16pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33

I am expecting a Hurst fantastical re-arranging of the line up entirely to avoid Hunt getting a run out.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2023, 10:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from moosey_club

I am expecting a Hurst fantastical re-arranging of the line up entirely to avoid Hunt getting a run out.

Me too. Another concocted formation that apparently won’t suit Alex.
Posted by: Maringer, October 23, 2023, 10:25pm; Reply: 8
Or, perhaps, Hunt is just not doing well enough in training to deserve a place in the team? No idea if this is the case or not, of course, just like everyone else.
Posted by: Maringer, October 23, 2023, 10:29pm; Reply: 9
Let me just add, it's just silly to claim that a manager who is under pressure would deliberately avoid fielding a player who a fair chunk of the crowd seem to want us to have playing.

I suspect we'll see Khan start as he ought to be fully fit by now, though I wouldn't like to hazard a guess about the set up in midfield.
Posted by: toontown, October 23, 2023, 10:33pm; Reply: 10
Or perhaps he isn't doing well enough when playing, like earlier this season and last, and the season before that with Oldham.

To me he's looked exactly like what he is, a player whose blown hot (first quarter of 21/22) and cold (second quarter of 21/22) down in the NL, and has continually struggled with the step up to EFL, and not just with us.

Personally I'd welcome him being tried further forward but definitely not in the role just in front of the back 4, he's looked a liability there. If he's going to be of any use at this level it's further forward were when he's caught out it's less damaging but maybe his passing might be key to unlocking defences in the final third.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2023, 10:49pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from toontown
Or perhaps he isn't doing well enough when playing, like earlier this season and last, and the season before that with Oldham.

To me he's looked exactly like what he is, a player whose blown hot (first quarter of 21/22) and cold (second quarter of 21/22) down in the NL, and has continually struggled with the step up to EFL, and not just with us.

Personally I'd welcome him being tried further forward but definitely not in the role just in front of the back 4, he's looked a liability there. If he's going to be of any use at this level it's further forward were when he's caught out it's less damaging but maybe his passing might be key to unlocking defences in the final third.

Exactly this. He’s an 8 or a 10 and certainly not a 4.
Posted by: golfer, October 24, 2023, 7:29am; Reply: 12
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I nearly gave you a red x . I thought you were giving him marks out of 10 and not his position.
Posted by: bedders78, October 24, 2023, 9:21am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Maringer
Let me just add, it's just silly to claim that a manager who is under pressure would deliberately avoid fielding a player who a fair chunk of the crowd seem to want us to have playing.

I suspect we'll see Khan start as he ought to be fully fit by now, though I wouldn't like to hazard a guess about the set up in midfield.

I think in either a 5-3-2 or a 4-5-1 there is a good chance the central midfield 3 will be Conteh, Holohan and Khan. Wing backs and you have Rose and Wilson up front or back 4 allows Eisa, Rose and Wilson.
Posted by: gobby, October 24, 2023, 9:48am; Reply: 14
Why do people think Khan can play in centre of midfield? Was it not clearly obvious against Stockport that it isn’t his position! When Holohan departed we needed Andrews or Hunt to fill in for Gav’s absence, it clearly shouldn’t have been Khan in my opinion. 😎
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 24, 2023, 1:12pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from toontown

No argument on any of those points from me here.  But that first one about not doing enough when playing seems almost unfair if he's getting dropped based on his scattered appearances when there's certainly plenty of players who have consistently underperformed all season in central midfield.  

Completely agree about where to play him too.

If Clifton is indeed out tonight, I hope it serves as a rest for the lad.  He never gets a proper rest, on the few occasions he does get dropped to the bench he ends up having to come on after 45 minutes.  Really think he would benefit from a few games out.  

Fully expect Andrew to come in and Hurst to stick with 5-3-2, which for a home game against a side 23rd in the table and having shipped 27 goals in 13 games would be very depressing.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), October 24, 2023, 4:43pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No way is he a 10, probably 7 at best.

Posted by: Rick12, October 24, 2023, 4:51pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from chaos33
Hope whoever comes in for Clifton tonight and if they do well  can keep their place. Sometimes managers in league clubs bottle it and go back to familiarity which is a killer emotionally for a young lad/player who has worked his nuts off to try to get in the team be it in reserve games/1st team fringe minutes.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 24, 2023, 11:00pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from moosey_club

Well....didn't expect him to be dumped altogether....did me completely there Paul.
Posted by: davmariner, October 24, 2023, 11:02pm; Reply: 19
Funny how players like Hunt become world beaters when they’re not playing. He’s done nothing since he came back, and doesn’t deserve to be in the team.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 24, 2023, 11:03pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from davmariner
Funny how players like Hunt become world beaters when they’re not playing. He’s done nothing since he came back, and doesn’t deserve to be in the team.

He’s started 3 games this season. He’s also our best passer.
Posted by: davmariner, October 24, 2023, 11:54pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He’s started 3 games this season. He’s also our best passer.

He’s a great passer to opposition players, as shown by him giving the ball away regularly which has led to conceding goals. Probably why he’s not in the team!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), October 25, 2023, 2:46pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from moosey_club

Well....didn't expect him to be dumped altogether....did me completely there Paul.

What a ridiculous post.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), October 25, 2023, 2:47pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from davmariner

He’s a great passer to opposition players, as shown by him giving the ball away regularly which has led to conceding goals. Probably why he’s not in the team!

His passing is inconsistent at best.

Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 11:06am