Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now Colchester sack manager !
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Now Colchester sack manager !

This thread currently has 3,617 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
October 23, 2023, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from GollyGTFC

“Doing things differently” might just be paying up Hurst’s contract in full rather than the majority of clubs that write a 6 month compensation limit on pay offs into new manager contracts?

That’s a very specific inference; where has that come from?

Hurst (and Doig) signed a new deal just over a year ago, when the prevailing worry at the time was that he might get poached by a bigger club (and on the day Graham Potter shafted Brighton by taking his entire coaching team to Chelsea, if memory serves).

It would seem logical that any new deal would have been designed to offer the club, and likewise Hurst, greater protection against loss of manager / loss of job respectively, but would we really have left ourselves as exposed as you suggest?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
chaos33
October 23, 2023, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from GollyGTFC
There’s never a good time to sack a manager. But after Doncaster there’s 14 days until the next league game. If the next 2 games continue the current trend then there’s a gap to make a change.

Possibly enough time to get a new manager in place or at least in the stand for our league game on 12th November.

As I said, I think we need to get at least 4 points. Preferably 6. Fewer than that and this maelstrom will go on. Win tomorrow, lose at Donny, especially if it’s a hopeless performance and we’ll be back here again. I reiterate my point - standards should be high. People are accountable. 20th and sub standard in basic football techniques isn’t, or shouldn’t, be acceptable. These players should be able to pass, to defend,  to cross, to move quickly and creatively. It’s in their hands.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
GollyGTFC
October 23, 2023, 10:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,976
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Poojah

That’s a very specific inference; where has that come from?

Hurst (and Doig) signed a new deal just over a year ago, when the prevailing worry at the time was that he might get poached by a bigger club (and on the day Graham Potter shafted Brighton by taking his entire coaching team to Chelsea, if memory serves).

It would seem logical that any new deal would have been designed to offer the club, and likewise Hurst, greater protection against loss of manager / loss of job respectively, but would we really have left ourselves as exposed as you suggest?

Having good values doesn’t mean turning a blind eye to failure, poor performance and failing meet KPIs. It means treating people fairly and with respect. Honouring a contract is full is just an example of how you treat people with respect.

This notion some people repeat that Hurst won’t be sacked or will get copious amounts of extra time to turn it around are bizarre. Especially when you see how the non-footballing part of the club was overhauled and long serving staff were moved on.

If it carries on much longer he’s toast.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 31
Roast Em Bobby
October 24, 2023, 12:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from GollyGTFC

This notion some people repeat that Hurst won’t be sacked or will get copious amounts of extra time to turn it around are bizarre. Especially when you see how the non-footballing part of the club was overhauled and long serving staff were moved on.

He's the only manager to get us promoted (twice) in the last 25 years, its not bizarre at all that some people think the board will take this into consideration and give him time to turn it around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
MuddyWaters
October 24, 2023, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

He's the only manager to get us promoted (twice) in the last 20 years, its not bizarre at all that some people think the board will take this into consideration and give him time to turn it around.

The board will also take into consideration current form, money spent and dwindling home attendances. As they should.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
Roast Em Bobby
October 24, 2023, 1:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The board will also take into consideration current form, money spent and dwindling home attendances. As they should.

I'm sure they will. Personally, I'm not convinced they will see the next two results as 'do or die' like many people on here are suggesting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
chaos33
October 24, 2023, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
They probably won’t see the next two results as do or die, but they won’t want their hand to be forced if the crowd gets disgruntled, or, more precisely, hostile. They’ll want to retain control of decisions and they’ll want to persevere with PH. Problem is, we have a lot of vocal supporters who will make the atmosphere tonight and/or saturday toxic if we lose/play poorly.
That’s what I was was getting at. People will vent their spleen, as they do; that will make life difficult for everyone, and threatens to force the owners’ hand.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
October 24, 2023, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33
They probably won’t see the next two results as do or die, but they won’t want their hand to be forced if the crowd gets disgruntled, or, more precisely, hostile. They’ll want to retain control of decisions and they’ll want to persevere with PH. Problem is, we have a lot of vocal supporters who will make the atmosphere tonight and/or saturday toxic if we lose/play poorly.
That’s what I was was getting at. People will vent their spleen, as they do; that will make life difficult for everyone, and threatens to force the owners’ hand.

Indeed, but the counterpoint to that is the fans have been very very patient thus far.

Sat there in quiet bewilderment I would say as there has been virtually nothing to excite them.

Even during the mass walkout at the last home game it was more sadness than anger.

It might get more vocal tonight if it goes badly but the owners should step in. The last thing we want is the crowd turning on the players especially as there is still a huge amount of goodwill for the club if we can regalvanize it.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
1mickylyons
October 24, 2023, 1:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56

Indeed, but the counterpoint to that is the fans have been very very patient thus far.

Sat there in quiet bewilderment I would sat, as there has been virtually nothing to excite them.

Even during the mass walkout at the last home game it was more sadness than anger.

It might get more vocal tonight if it goes badly but the owners should step in. The last thing we want is the crowd turning on the players especially as there is still a huge amount of goodwill for the club if we can regalvanize it.

Very well summed up Lew I walked out in utter dismay the anger hit me a few hours later. I am convinced this squad are far better than 20th and another woeful performance tonight I'll be baying for his head. I think if ghe games on Town will win tonight but lose Saturday
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
chaos33
October 24, 2023, 1:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yup.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now Colchester sack manager !

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.