Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now Colchester sack manager !
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Now Colchester sack manager !

This thread currently has 3,615 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
October 23, 2023, 9:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,970
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from DB

We have managed a mere 4 points from our last 8 games. Is there a lesson for the Chairman to learn from Colchester?

We’re 5 points from last 8. And obviously I didn’t realise that when I made the original post. 😇
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 31
Poojah
October 23, 2023, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,603
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We’re 5 points from last 8. And obviously I didn’t realise that when I made the original post. 😇

As obvious as that was, I had to go away and work out how many it actually was (assuming it would be the same as Colchester’s 7). 5 points from 8 games really is bleak when you put it like that; less than 30 points over a season at that rate.

I said yesterday I thought Hurst might avoid the sack even in defeat tomorrow night, more a reflection of the owners’ values than anything else, but I’m genuinely less sure now I’ve seen it in that light.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
DB
October 23, 2023, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 387
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry, a typo on my part. Yes it's 5 but doesn't mean much in the context of things.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
GollyGTFC
October 23, 2023, 3:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

As obvious as that was, I had to go away and work out how many it actually was (assuming it would be the same as Colchester’s 7). 5 points from 8 games really is bleak when you put it like that; less than 30 points over a season at that rate.

I said yesterday I thought Hurst might avoid the sack even in defeat tomorrow night, more a reflection of the owners’ values than anything else, but I’m genuinely less sure now I’ve seen it in that light.

Hurst will last until the crowd have had enough of him.

Brian Laws was sacked after that happened v Oldham in October 1996. Groves was sacked after a 6-0 humiliation at Oldham in February 2004. Rodgers and Slade II both went as soon as the crowd properly turned against them.

Doncaster could be toxic on Saturday if things continue as they are.

The owners can have all the values they like, but JS & AP would never tolerate results and performances from one of their managers in one of their non-football ventures. Why would they act different at Town.

Especially so as they say they are the custodians of the club for the fans. It’s hard to see them not binning off Hurst if the fans turn on him properly.

Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 31
Poojah
October 23, 2023, 4:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,603
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Hurst will last until the crowd have had enough of him.

Brian Laws was sacked after that happened v Oldham in October 1996. Groves was sacked after a 6-0 humiliation at Oldham in February 2004. Rodgers and Slade II both went as soon as the crowd properly turned against them.

Doncaster could be toxic on Saturday if things continue as they are.

The owners can have all the values they like, but JS & AP would never tolerate results and performances from one of their managers in one of their non-football ventures. Why would they act different at Town.

Especially so as they say they are the custodians of the club for the fans. It’s hard to see them not binning off Hurst if the fans turn on him properly.

I would imagine that both JS and AP would acknowledge that running a football club is very different to their non-football ventures. I'm not suggesting that corporate boardrooms can't be volatile, and like football supporters, shareholders aren't renowned for being tolerant of poor performing individuals in the hot seat. But football is markedly different, and it's renowned for its hasty sacking of managers at all levels of the game - Hurst hasn't even been in the job 3 years and he's the 12th longest serving current manager of the 92 EFL and PL clubs, 8th in the EFL alone.

I get the impression, certainly from Stockwood's written words in the Guardian, that he and AP want to do things differently and create a reputation as such. In a sea of football clubs being quick to pull the trigger, could it be something of a USP to a prospective up and coming manager to know that he'll be given space and time if things get sticky.

We shall see, but I'm not convinced we'll see Hurst sacked this week, whatever happens (within reason, at least).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
October 23, 2023, 5:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,729
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

I would imagine that both JS and AP would acknowledge that running a football club is very different to their non-football ventures. I'm not suggesting that corporate boardrooms can't be volatile, and like football supporters, shareholders aren't renowned for being tolerant of poor performing individuals in the hot seat. But football is markedly different, and it's renowned for its hasty sacking of managers at all levels of the game - Hurst hasn't even been in the job 3 years and he's the 12th longest serving current manager of the 92 EFL and PL clubs, 8th in the EFL alone.

I get the impression, certainly from Stockwood's written words in the Guardian, that he and AP want to do things differently and create a reputation as such. In a sea of football clubs being quick to pull the trigger, could it be something of a USP to a prospective up and coming manager to know that he'll be given space and time if things get sticky.

We shall see, but I'm not convinced we'll see Hurst sacked this week, whatever happens (within reason, at least).

Well it's a gamble they will have to take, but they have to put the whole club first, including the fans. It will be much more difficult to get a decent replacement if we have left it too late.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
HerveJosse
October 23, 2023, 5:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

Well it's a gamble they will have to take, but they have to put the whole club first, including the fans. It will be much more difficult to get a decent replacement if we have left it too late.

Hurst just about got a free pass on relegation to the NL because he came in with only half the season left . We don’t want to be in that position again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
chaos33
October 23, 2023, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Disappointing to see language like ‘binning off’ when we’re talking about a person and a professional - a man who has always given his all, and has delivered some success.

That said, a horrible performance and, even worse, a bad result at home tomorrow and it’s going to get toxic. That’s just the reality of modern life. That’d be really unpleasant for everyone and it would then be really tricky for Jason and Andrew.
We’re better than this, in every regard. I really hope we can retain some dignity and composure rather than letting things get ugly. I’ve already said that 20th in L2 isn’t good enough, however we describe the context of the first 14 games. It’s a really tough league but we have to win tomorrow night and the players have to raise the standard significantly or they’ll let their manager down badly. If there’s squandered possession, and slow, imprecise movement and passing and hopeless crossing and hapless defending - things we’ve seen too much of already, then the crowd will get angry. Nobody can really argue with that.

The players and manager need to raise their game. Significantly. They will or they won’t. Nobody invested in GTFC, in whatever regard, needs it to get toxic. This week has to yield at least 4 points in my opinion (presuming game is on tomorrow). We should go at Doncaster and back ourselves to win that game too.  If it gets poisonous by the end of the week then we’ll have been guilty of indecision and inertia. It’s do or die for the owners or manager now, whether that’s fair/right or not. What the supporters need to do is get right behind the team this week, in my opinion. If the team don’t deliver in the next game and the supporters have done their bit, then we are in a right state.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
GollyGTFC
October 23, 2023, 6:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

“Doing things differently” might just be paying up Hurst’s contract in full rather than the majority of clubs that write a 6 month compensation limit on pay offs into new manager contracts?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 31
GollyGTFC
October 23, 2023, 6:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
There’s never a good time to sack a manager. But after Doncaster there’s 14 days until the next league game. If the next 2 games continue the current trend then there’s a gap to make a change.

Possibly enough time to get a new manager in place or at least in the stand for our league game on 12th November.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now Colchester sack manager !

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.