5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
October 11, 2023, 8:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
This year we have a bigger budget better resources than ever and more been put into the science side of the game...

BUT we look a poorer team with an argument that we have a couple of stronger individuals.  It's been a good few months for the team to show what they can do and honestly I'm not too impressed,  we definitely don't looks as good as last year as a team on the pitch despite the playing budget being increased quite a bit.

Paul Hurst is a good manager and has been for us , I'd like to think every town fan respects him but we are definitely not showing too much on a match day.  I'm not to the stage of Hurst going as he's earned the right at our club to be given time and respect for what he's done for us but things need to pick up imo.

Something is not quite right atm and whether it's the quality he's bought in isn't quite what he thought it was I'm not sure but he has some searching to do in the dressing room.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
October 11, 2023, 8:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from jonnyboy82
This year we have a bigger budget better resources than ever and more been put into the science side of the game...

BUT we look a poorer team with an argument that we have a couple of stronger individuals.  It's been a good few months for the team to show what they can do and honestly I'm not too impressed,  we definitely don't looks as good as last year as a team on the pitch despite the playing budget being increased quite a bit.

Paul Hurst is a good manager and has been for us , I'd like to think every town fan respects him but we are definitely not showing too much on a match day.  I'm not to the stage of Hurst going as he's earned the right at our club to be given time and respect for what he's done for us but things need to pick up imo.

Something is not quite right atm and whether it's the quality he's bought in isn't quite what he thought it was I'm not sure but he has some searching to do in the dressing room.

The manager seems to agree with you going by the post match interview.  To be honest it has been obvious for several weeks but for their own reasons some on here wanted to shout down anybody saying what they could see with their own eyes.

At least now we can all agree something is not right, the players we signed are not performing so now the attention turns to what we are going to do about it.

It is Hurst and the coaching teams job to do something about it, and they have got two and a half months to work with these players till the next window to see if they can mould them into a cohesive and hopefully an attacking and entertaining unit.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
BraStrap
October 11, 2023, 9:19am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
We have a large squad but nobody who regularly scores. So if we don't have a rock solid defence it's pretty obvious we'll struggle to challenge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
Maringer
October 11, 2023, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Rose: 4 goals in 10 league appearances
Eisa: 5 goals in 11 league appearances

That's pretty regular.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
mimma
October 11, 2023, 11:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Our three new strikers have all been hampered by injuries and we haven't been able to play them together. If we could keep them all fit and playing regularly then we might have the goal threat we've all been craving
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
Limerick Mariner
October 11, 2023, 12:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from BraStrap
We have a large squad but nobody who regularly scores. So if we don't have a rock solid defence it's pretty obvious we'll struggle to challenge.

We don’t have a large squad. With no loans permitted outside the window, this is the main issue for me. We’ve suffered a combination of injuries, loss of form and older players perhaps not quite as good or able to last the pace. We don’t have the quality to bring and our younger prospects, Bramwell and Gardner, aren’t quite ready (otherwise presumably they would be picked for league games on the bench).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
ska face
October 11, 2023, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Wonder if anything’ll happen with the lad Murphy at Newcastle as rumoured in the summer? 4 games for their u21s this season, not been in the squad for their EFL Trophy games & nowhere near the first team squad from what I can see.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
golfer
October 11, 2023, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer
Rose: 4 goals in 10 league appearances
Eisa: 5 goals in 11 league appearances

That's pretty regular.

Regular but not impressive. We need somebody who is impressive. How many on here are impressed. I am depressed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
golfer
October 11, 2023, 12:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mimma
Our three new strikers have all been hampered by injuries and we haven't been able to play them together. If we could keep them all fit and playing regularly then we might have the goal threat we've all been craving

How many times have we played 2 strikers together nevermind 3 ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
Maringer
October 11, 2023, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from golfer

How many times have we played 2 strikers together nevermind 3 ?

Almost as many times as we've had 3 fit strikers available. (Yes, I agree that only having 3 strikers on the books at the moment is a problem)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
Limerick Mariner
October 11, 2023, 12:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from golfer

Regular but not impressive. We need somebody who is impressive. How many on here are impressed. I am depressed.

Not depressed; disappointed or underwhelmed perhaps…maybe it’s like a young lady pulling a 6ft 8 second row rugby player with very big feet one night and finding things are not as proportionate as she had hoped…actually I think that’s more like how Bradford fans feel every season…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
diehardmariner
October 11, 2023, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from golfer

Not impressive?  Over the course of a full season that would see Rose on 18 goals and Eisa on 20.  

This comparison to the previous season is confusing me.  Have I slept for a whole year and imagined the amount of criticism that was thrown at the team, the style of play, the tactics, the lack of attacking threat....?

This year hasn't quite hit expectations and I'm as disappointed as anyone, so far.  But anyone would think we were all conquering and as entertaining as Keegan's Newcastle last season with the amount of comparisons made already.  Just like how the Luton, Southampton, Plymouth games shouldn't mask an unentertaining and largely dull season, the first quarter of this season shouldn't define our whole season, especially after a game in a excrement competition that no-one really cares about.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 11, 2023, 2:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 554
Quoted from golfer

That’s 15-20 goals a season. That’s fairly impressive!

Most teams would take that output from one player, never mind two. In fact, all the better it’s two!!

You will be depressed if you think a 2-1 defeat in a dead rubber, in a competition that shouldn’t even exist is, as you put it last night, the most disgraceful and embarrassing defeat you have ever (!) seen.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
Zmariner
October 11, 2023, 3:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
My observations, defensively, we do not look like a Hurst team at the moment. My solution, would be Effete right back and Amos at left back. Round pegs in round holes. Mullarkey has been ok but we look worse than last season. Maher and Roger  as centre backs. Midfield , Clifton reverts to left side where he was effective last season.
We are porous and so this is where I would start to plug the holes. Mullarkey poss comes in as a centre back of 5 at the back. We concede far too many. I always feel that we will concede at the moment.
I am certainly not despondent and don't expect 5 star entertainment . I am 100% with Hurst, what is different at the moment is normally I get his logic but at the moment a few strange calls. He is a good manager and will work this out. Accrington Stanley , who are they. Actually pretty good whenever I have seen them utm
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
ginnywings
October 11, 2023, 5:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
I'm finding it hard to fathom that some don't think we have improved massively up front since last season.

Last seasons top scorers, and don't forget this is for the entire season.

Clifton-7
Lloyd-5
McAtee-4
Taylor-3
Khan-3

We currently have Eisa on 5, Rose 4, Wilson 2 and Pyke 1, from a quarter of the season.

The current problems are at the back and stem from the injuries to Maher and Amos. The stats with those two in the side gulf the stats when they are missing. The whole defence becomes unbalanced, with Rodgers having to shuffle over to the left side, and Efete playing on his wrong side because Glennon has fallen off a cliff with his form.

It will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in points gained once we get a settled defence and have a less onerous set of games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
grimsby pete
October 11, 2023, 5:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I am just a little disappointed but not worried.

The players are not jelling as quick as expected but it will come.

When we have a fit squad to choose from I am sure we will get better results.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
October 11, 2023, 6:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
I’m not really fussed about moving up the leagues, I’m happy with sustainable mid table football, hopefully, with the odd cup run here and there. In hurst we trust

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
October 11, 2023, 7:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
I’m not really fussed about moving up the leagues, I’m happy with sustainable mid table football, hopefully, with the odd cup run here and there. In hurst we trust

I do love a good parodic post!
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
Spurn boy
October 11, 2023, 7:31pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am just a little disappointed but not worried.

The players are not jelling as quick as expected but it will come.

When we have a fit squad to choose from I am sure we will get better results.

It’s difficult for the defence to gel when for whatever reason we don’t have the same players playing their best positions on a regular basis, we have 2 left sided fullbacks in Amos’s and Glennon but they are overlooked and a right footed player Efete is played in that position. Hunt and Holohan don’t seem to be able to justify their  selection in midfield and I think Hurst still is unsure what his first choice starting 11 is and is definitely a more defensive thinking manager. I’m sure everything will work out fine and probably finish much higher up the league than where we are now.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
MuddyWaters
October 11, 2023, 7:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Spurn boy

It’s difficult for the defence to gel when for whatever reason we don’t have the same players playing their best positions on a regular basis, we have 2 left sided fullbacks in Amos’s and Glennon but they are overlooked and a right footed player Efete is played in that position. Hunt and Holohan don’t seem to be able to justify their  selection in midfield and I think Hurst still is unsure what his first choice starting 11 is and is definitely a more defensive thinking manager. I’m sure everything will work out fine and probably finish much higher up the league than where we are now.

I know I’m an Alex Hunt fan but he’s had one league start since the second game of the season. He's not exactly had a decent run in the team having seemed to be pivotal to the formation used in pre season.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
forza ivano
October 11, 2023, 7:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,178
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Zmariner
My observations, defensively, we do not look like a Hurst team at the moment. My solution, would be Effete right back and Amos at left back. Round pegs in round holes. Mullarkey has been ok but we look worse than last season. Maher and Roger  as centre backs. Midfield , Clifton reverts to left side where he was effective last season.
We are porous and so this is where I would start to plug the holes. Mullarkey poss comes in as a centre back of 5 at the back. We concede far too many. I always feel that we will concede at the moment.
I am certainly not despondent and don't expect 5 star entertainment . I am 100% with Hurst, what is different at the moment is normally I get his logic but at the moment a few strange calls. He is a good manager and will work this out. Accrington Stanley , who are they. Actually pretty good whenever I have seen them utm
Utm

on the one hand i agree Z. What happened to the 1-0 backs against the wall Hurst away win? What happened to the durability, the hard work, the diligent tracking, the determination not to concede or be beaten?
But that's exactly why PH was criticised, the defensiveness, the lack of flair etc etc.
He's try to resolve this, but it's obvious Eisa, for example, can't do a defensive job, so you sacrifice durability for his skill, creativeness, and goalscoring prowess.
The other problem is that many L2 clubs have spent as much, if not more, and we are probably still (upper?) mid table in our budget. Add into that all the added extra time which is making the goals tally significantly higher than previous seasons. As PH said our defensive record isn't that bad compared to the rest of the division, yet to my untutored eye, we are leaking goals, mainly due to poor defensive discipline, which is so un Hurst like.

God knows how we resolve this, but have to say ( as a v. big pro Hurst fan) it's looking very like  amid table team and finish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
DB
October 11, 2023, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,018
Gold Stars: 386
Hurst has provided a very solid defence for the last 2 seasons. For some reason this season they seem to have fallen apart and shipped in silly goals. We have excuses for players playing out of position, injuries, formations etc. All of this happened in the last 2 seasons as well but coped.

As I mentioned in other threads, and a poster above, we do not seem to have the team spirit we once had, the do or die attitude and the reputation of the 'come back kids' has dwindled into the past. To me, we need to sort out the defence and attitude of the players.

Let the players not forget it is the supporters that pay their wages and we look on them, as professional footballers, to do their very best when they cross the line, both physically and mentally.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
chaos33
October 11, 2023, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm finding it hard to fathom that some don't think we have improved massively up front since last season.

Clifton-7
Lloyd-5
McAtee-4
Taylor-3
Khan-3

We currently have Eisa on 5, Rose 4, Wilson 2 and Pyke 1, from a quarter of the season.

The current problems are at the back and stem from the injuries to Maher and Amos. The stats with those two in the side gulf the stats when they are missing. The whole defence becomes unbalanced, with Rodgers having to shuffle over to the left side, and Efete playing on his wrong side because Glennon has fallen off a cliff with his form.

It will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in points gained once we get a settled defence and have a less onerous set of games.

Oh there you go…being all rational, and balanced and patient and pretending things aren’t black and white and actually simple when they are. I mean, it’s not even as if you’ve watched much football over 50 years or something is it!  Stop shouting people down! Take off your rose tints you happy clapper. Something else about B Corp, a million pound budget…… blah blah….tails off…..

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
AncientExiledMariner
October 11, 2023, 10:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
We are attacking better, and we are struggling defensively.

If anyone knows how to improve a defence, it'll be Hurst, and I'm sure he'll be holding players to account. The more players we have fit, the more he can exert pressure by dropping folk who aren't busting their balderdash to get a block in etc. A handful of games out of the team might turn some around, and if we can build on the 4 points in 6, the confidence will certainly grow.

I'm hoping we can get Amos and Wilson back and fit, keep Maher fit. It could help use massively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
diehardmariner
October 12, 2023, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Some very good points made here.  

I'm with ginnywings in regards I'm keen to see what we're like once the defence is settled again. The loss of Maher has been massive in my eyes, only compounded down the left flank as Rodgers has had to switch to cover and in turn he's not got an in-form/natural left-back next to him.

Maher coming back should resolve a lot of our problems, I think/hope.  But the left-back slot really remains an ongoing concern for me and I'm disappointed it wasn't resolved in the summer.  Throughout the whole of last season it was clear that Hurst didn't feel he could trust either Amos or Glennon on a consistent basis.  There's no real justification for not addressing that position and the fact that he's used Efete by choice rather than via a forced hand suggests he knows that he made an error by not addressing it (I'd add probably not through a lack of trying).

Good point from forza about Eisa in the team. Defensively he's very limited and that does leave an already exposed left hand side even more vulnerable.  Switching Eisa to the left would remove his ability to cut inside when he's most effective, we also saw in the early stages of the season that playing in a central No 10 type role doesn't really suit him.

The midfield is one I can't get my head round.  Conteh started like a train but has slowly tailed off, his recent games I think he's looked anonymous.  But ahead of him it's constant chopping and changing.  Holohan plays well but seemingly isn't in Hurst's first XI plans, Clifton still hasn't recovered his form of last season but yet we still look a lesser side without him, I really like the look of Andrews but can't work out if he's a sitter or needs to be further forward and as much as I want Hunt to succeed, I just don't think it's going to happen for him here.  There's a temptation in my mind to think that we're lacking Kieran Green's steel in midfield, but that would completely go against this early season approach of keeping possession and building out from the back.  But then again we look to have abandoned that anyway.

Once everyone is fit, or near enough everyone, in-form and we've got a bit of confidence I'm not concerned in the slightest.  Few tweaks in the January window and I think we'll be ok with a view to pushing on.  But the lack of depth worries me.  Maher's out and we're shot at the back.  Conteh's tailed off and we can't control games.  Clifton's levels drop slightly and we lack our energy.  Wilson's out and the lack of pace is painful.  Rose is inured and there's no-one to lead the line.  I've said a few times that this continuous improvement will see the best players of today become the back up of tomorrow, that's happened with the likes of Waterfall, Holohan, maybe Efete from last season struggling for game-time.  However I'm not convinced we've the strength in depth to say we've improved, not yet anyway.  With better players coming in, there's a natural evolution of our style of play.  But the back-up players seemingly can't play that way so we revert back to type.

Listening to Hurst's last few interviews I get the impression that he's disappointed with a good number of the players and without a turnaround from them, it wouldn't surprise me if we see quite a few going out in the transfer window.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
October 12, 2023, 4:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from Spurn boy

Do keep up old chap.  Amos is injured and Glennon is absent due to personal reasons.

Reply: 25 - 40
Spurn boy
October 12, 2023, 4:32pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from 123614

Do keep up old chap.  Amos is injured and Glennon is absent due to personal reasons.

I do try to keep up with team news but every time I watch a Paul Hurst interview I fall asleep .😔😔

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
diehardmariner
October 12, 2023, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Both Amos and Glennon were on the bench against Swindon yet Efete started at left-back.  

Efete also started at left-back against Barrow with Glennon on the bench.

Hurst's hand might have been forced in the last two games but let's not kid ourselves that he's happy with either of his natural left-backs and isn't overlooking them.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
MuddyWaters
October 12, 2023, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Some very good points made here.  

I'm with ginnywings in regards I'm keen to see what we're like once the defence is settled again. The loss of Maher has been massive in my eyes, only compounded down the left flank as Rodgers has had to switch to cover and in turn he's not got an in-form/natural left-back next to him.

Maher coming back should resolve a lot of our problems, I think/hope.  But the left-back slot really remains an ongoing concern for me and I'm disappointed it wasn't resolved in the summer.  Throughout the whole of last season it was clear that Hurst didn't feel he could trust either Amos or Glennon on a consistent basis.  There's no real justification for not addressing that position and the fact that he's used Efete by choice rather than via a forced hand suggests he knows that he made an error by not addressing it (I'd add probably not through a lack of trying).

Good point from forza about Eisa in the team. Defensively he's very limited and that does leave an already exposed left hand side even more vulnerable.  Switching Eisa to the left would remove his ability to cut inside when he's most effective, we also saw in the early stages of the season that playing in a central No 10 type role doesn't really suit him.

The midfield is one I can't get my head round.  Conteh started like a train but has slowly tailed off, his recent games I think he's looked anonymous.  But ahead of him it's constant chopping and changing.  Holohan plays well but seemingly isn't in Hurst's first XI plans, Clifton still hasn't recovered his form of last season but yet we still look a lesser side without him, I really like the look of Andrews but can't work out if he's a sitter or needs to be further forward and as much as I want Hunt to succeed, I just don't think it's going to happen for him here.  There's a temptation in my mind to think that we're lacking Kieran Green's steel in midfield, but that would completely go against this early season approach of keeping possession and building out from the back.  But then again we look to have abandoned that anyway.

Once everyone is fit, or near enough everyone, in-form and we've got a bit of confidence I'm not concerned in the slightest.  Few tweaks in the January window and I think we'll be ok with a view to pushing on.  But the lack of depth worries me.  Maher's out and we're shot at the back.  Conteh's tailed off and we can't control games.  Clifton's levels drop slightly and we lack our energy.  Wilson's out and the lack of pace is painful.  Rose is inured and there's no-one to lead the line.  I've said a few times that this continuous improvement will see the best players of today become the back up of tomorrow, that's happened with the likes of Waterfall, Holohan, maybe Efete from last season struggling for game-time.  However I'm not convinced we've the strength in depth to say we've improved, not yet anyway.  With better players coming in, there's a natural evolution of our style of play.  But the back-up players seemingly can't play that way so we revert back to type.

Listening to Hurst's last few interviews I get the impression that he's disappointed with a good number of the players and without a turnaround from them, it wouldn't surprise me if we see quite a few going out in the transfer window.

Many sensible points but Holohan has started 11 games so I’m not sure that he’s a back up.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
diehardmariner
October 13, 2023, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Well it's 10 and two of them were in cup games  

But yeah, back-up isn't perhaps the right term.  What I meant was more that Hurst probably sees him as someone we need to evolve on from.  Wasn't even in the squad for the opener, only got a handful of minutes in the second game.  After that I thought he was our best midfielder but Hurst dropped him for Swindon (7 days after he got a goal and an assist against Crawley), back in for Barrow and then out against for Tranmere.

As I've said a few times, I'm a fan of Hurst and whilst disappointed I'm definitely not screaming for him to go.  However the one big question mark that remains for me is his ability to improve squads.

For the majority of his first spell it was just a case of build a squad each season with the hope of getting out the Conference.  Of course over time we did see improvements; Tait for Magnay, Toto for Miller, Amond for LJL.  But it was very much a year-on-year project.  The summer of 2016 he was hampered by a excrement budget, that much is clear now.  But the squad, in my opinion, was weakened despite going up a level.  Arnold, Amond, Toto, Nolan, Clay and a few others all went out.  The likes of Chambers, Vernon, Boyce, Summerfield, Berrett...all downgrades on what left.  The only upgrade was Danny Andrew for Gregor Robertson.  When Hurst left we were in a decent position in the table, but I'd have fancied that the side we ended 2015/16 with would have beaten the side of 5 months later.

Summer of 2021 was a bit different as the majority of the squad were out of contract and it wasn't exactly hard to improve on Rag bottom Rovers.  

2022 - I'm not so sure.  We needed to upgrade and I think he was arguably a bit too loyal to certain players.  Taylor was one we needed to improve on and we didn't.  Did we get better than Fox?  Probably not.  I don't think we replaced Sousa, I'd have taken Sousa over Kiernan if I'm honest probably Khan as well.  

This summer it looks an improvement on paper, but it hasn't clicked yet.  Conteh, Rodgers, Mullarkey, Rose, Eisa should all be improvements on Morris, Waterfall, Efete, (if those two fall down the pecking order rather than leaving), Taylor and whoever we ended up playing on the wing later last season.  

I know it's not always a case of just buying a better player than the one you've got, but at each opportunity I'm sceptical if he's actually improved us and that is what I think has the potential to be the thing that stops him progressing with us.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
Mariner_09
October 13, 2023, 12:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from ginnywings

Clifton-7
Lloyd-5
McAtee-4
Taylor-3
Khan-3

This is my view. A few good additions in January, a starting LB and better quality reserve options at CB and ST are essential as the drop off from the starting XI to the reserves is stark this season.

Michee's done well at LB, but he's playing out of position and a proper LB is surely preferable. Shows what he makes of Glennon's performances,

We have clearly improved forward areas, we are scoring more goals and creating more chances. I'm hoping Hurst can fix the defensive vulnerabilities but we aren't conceding bucket loads of chances even now.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
rancido
October 13, 2023, 1:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
FWIW I think the squad is better but there are issues. The injuries appear to have hampered Hurst's plans on his playing style for the season. Some players haven't performed to their best ability and silly simple defending errors have cost us points. The players don't seem to have " gelled" but considering the constant changes, some forced and some not, then that is understandable to a degree. Things may be clearer as regards our progress as a squad once we approach the January transfer window. I'm sure some of the players will also be aware that if they don't " step up to the plate" then their GTFC futures could also be determined by then.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
diehardmariner
October 13, 2023, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
It'll be disappointing if we get to January again hoping for rabbit, or two, out the bag to improve our season significantly.  

Just more so because it felt like we had done so well in the early summer recruitment.  Can't remember who said it last week but they noted that it's a team in transition still.  At the minute it's just difficult to see the pathway because we've reverted back to type.

Dozen or so games until January, which hopefully will be enough for key players to get back and a lift in confidence.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
MuddyWaters
October 13, 2023, 2:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido
FWIW I think the squad is better but there are issues. The injuries appear to have hampered Hurst's plans on his playing style for the season. Some players haven't performed to their best ability and silly simple defending errors have cost us points. The players don't seem to have " gelled" but considering the constant changes, some forced and some not, then that is understandable to a degree. Things may be clearer as regards our progress as a squad once we approach the January transfer window. I'm sure some of the players will also be aware that if they don't " step up to the plate" then their GTFC futures could also be determined by then.

A squad getting injuries isn't exactly a new phenomenon though. We had several key players miss long periods of last season (McAtee, Waterfall, Taylor, Khan and Glennon) too.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
rancido
October 13, 2023, 3:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A squad getting injuries isn't exactly a new phenomenon though. We had several key players miss long periods of last season (McAtee, Waterfall, Taylor, Khan and Glennon) too.

I never claimed it was a new phenomena, merely that it could disrupt any plans for the early part of the season

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
Limerick Mariner
October 13, 2023, 3:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

This is my view. A few good additions in January, a starting LB and better quality reserve options at CB and ST are essential as the drop off from the starting XI to the reserves is stark this season.

Michee's done well at LB, but he's playing out of position and a proper LB is surely preferable. Shows what he makes of Glennon's performances,

We have clearly improved forward areas, we are scoring more goals and creating more chances. I'm hoping Hurst can fix the defensive vulnerabilities but we aren't conceding bucket loads of chances even now.

Mystery isn’t it, Glennon, when we played better teams last season in the cup he was one that stood out as comfortable against them. Then there were rumours of higher level clubs coming in for him in the summer. First time I saw him this season at Mansfield I actually thought he must have been playing with a bug or a cold or something - he looked that off the pace. Shame, I had high hopes for him this season. We can’t blame PH for that, I’m sure his loss of form has upset squad planning and tactically as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
October 13, 2023, 5:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
For whatever reason, right now, I don’t think we’re as good as last year.

I hope by the end of the season this changes but for me at present we just don’t move the ball quick enough to create opportunities. So often we have some possession and it ends up going ponderously sideways, or backwards.

I like Hurst but at the present time it’s just not working. I hope he turns it around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
CSLM
October 13, 2023, 8:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 12
I like Hurst and I think we have some quality players in the team but It feels like we need to change a little and not be so worried about the opponents.

I just think we need to go for it a bit more. We might get tonked a few times but I think we actually have the players to hurt teams. We surely would get more points playing this way. We would likely beat some of the better teams instead of hoping to grind out a result which doesn't work most of the time.

We need Maher back desperately as him and Rogers compliment each other so well and already have a great understanding, seems to help the other players to.

It's not been great so far but in my opinion the potential is there.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
marinerjase
October 14, 2023, 12:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 147
Maher has become a ‘must’ in the starting 11..

For me (and I know it’ll go down like a lead balloon with some) - I’m not convinced at all on the progression or ‘longer term’ potential improvement on what we’ve seen thus far. Hurst has been fantastic in building squads that’d run through brick walls, be organised from the back/solid etc - I don’t see that in the current set up. It doesn’t look like a ‘team’..never mind a squad imho. There doesn’t noticeably look like we’ve a plan/set way of playing, and we’re conceding such soft goals this season. I also feel we don’t look as athletic/fit as past seasons, and are struggling to match last years squad in that respect. Yes we’ve had multiple injuries which can’t help..but all clubs have that..individually a couple have stood out at times but collectively I’m struggling to think of many times when we’ve looked a good ‘team’.. I know we beat Gillingham etc but they didn’t show up, for me out best performance was the first 45 at Bradford..not fantastic football wise but as an away side pretty much dominated. The stats of losing leads tell a story, and I’m a little concerned about this season in all honesty. We’ve sleep walked into relegation fights before..this could quite easily and fast turn into that scenario. As much as ‘we’re too good/that’ll never happen’ thoughts there’s an argument for not seeing/accepting of what may happen..

We’re all guilty of watching our side and not only wanting us to do well but maybe over inflating them also, and disregarding certain things. I’m being completely honest in that I’m seeing worrying things, don’t like saying it - and I sincerely hope I’m wrong - but I can’t pretend alls ok when I don’t feel it is. The other concern is will the crowds drop off if results/performances don’t improve..that may not seem important but it will be a factor in people’s thinking down the line. I’m actually interested in how many turn up tomorrow..on paper not the best fixture (nothing against Accrington but it’s a bit like when teams play us ..‘oh..it’s only f Grimsby’ etc) but you’d hope most turn up.

Hoping for a good win and/or performance tomorrow..but I’ve a feeling it’s not going to be easy and if it doesn’t go well a game that may be influential in terms of the fan base following the next few fixtures after.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
marinerjase
October 14, 2023, 7:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 147
^ concerns before todays events..last sentence maybe a factor/consideration in the weeks ahead?

Need results quick..fans forum end November and maybe the first ‘hurdle’ owners face from the supporters side?

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
Yoda
October 14, 2023, 10:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Hurst cannot manage a decent budget he’s proven that ok on a tight budget in non league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Bigger budget

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.