Mariner_09
October 13, 2023, 12:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm finding it hard to fathom that some don't think we have improved massively up front since last season.

Last seasons top scorers, and don't forget this is for the entire season.

Clifton-7
Lloyd-5
McAtee-4
Taylor-3
Khan-3

We currently have Eisa on 5, Rose 4, Wilson 2 and Pyke 1, from a quarter of the season.

The current problems are at the back and stem from the injuries to Maher and Amos. The stats with those two in the side gulf the stats when they are missing. The whole defence becomes unbalanced, with Rodgers having to shuffle over to the left side, and Efete playing on his wrong side because Glennon has fallen off a cliff with his form.

It will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in points gained once we get a settled defence and have a less onerous set of games.

This is my view. A few good additions in January, a starting LB and better quality reserve options at CB and ST are essential as the drop off from the starting XI to the reserves is stark this season.

Michee's done well at LB, but he's playing out of position and a proper LB is surely preferable. Shows what he makes of Glennon's performances,

We have clearly improved forward areas, we are scoring more goals and creating more chances. I'm hoping Hurst can fix the defensive vulnerabilities but we aren't conceding bucket loads of chances even now.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
rancido
October 13, 2023, 1:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
FWIW I think the squad is better but there are issues. The injuries appear to have hampered Hurst's plans on his playing style for the season. Some players haven't performed to their best ability and silly simple defending errors have cost us points. The players don't seem to have " gelled" but considering the constant changes, some forced and some not, then that is understandable to a degree. Things may be clearer as regards our progress as a squad once we approach the January transfer window. I'm sure some of the players will also be aware that if they don't " step up to the plate" then their GTFC futures could also be determined by then.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
diehardmariner
October 13, 2023, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,636
Gold Stars: 539
It'll be disappointing if we get to January again hoping for rabbit, or two, out the bag to improve our season significantly.  

Just more so because it felt like we had done so well in the early summer recruitment.  Can't remember who said it last week but they noted that it's a team in transition still.  At the minute it's just difficult to see the pathway because we've reverted back to type.

Dozen or so games until January, which hopefully will be enough for key players to get back and a lift in confidence.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
MuddyWaters
October 13, 2023, 2:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido
FWIW I think the squad is better but there are issues. The injuries appear to have hampered Hurst's plans on his playing style for the season. Some players haven't performed to their best ability and silly simple defending errors have cost us points. The players don't seem to have " gelled" but considering the constant changes, some forced and some not, then that is understandable to a degree. Things may be clearer as regards our progress as a squad once we approach the January transfer window. I'm sure some of the players will also be aware that if they don't " step up to the plate" then their GTFC futures could also be determined by then.

A squad getting injuries isn't exactly a new phenomenon though. We had several key players miss long periods of last season (McAtee, Waterfall, Taylor, Khan and Glennon) too.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
rancido
October 13, 2023, 3:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A squad getting injuries isn't exactly a new phenomenon though. We had several key players miss long periods of last season (McAtee, Waterfall, Taylor, Khan and Glennon) too.

I never claimed it was a new phenomena, merely that it could disrupt any plans for the early part of the season

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
Limerick Mariner
October 13, 2023, 3:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mariner_09

This is my view. A few good additions in January, a starting LB and better quality reserve options at CB and ST are essential as the drop off from the starting XI to the reserves is stark this season.

Michee's done well at LB, but he's playing out of position and a proper LB is surely preferable. Shows what he makes of Glennon's performances,

We have clearly improved forward areas, we are scoring more goals and creating more chances. I'm hoping Hurst can fix the defensive vulnerabilities but we aren't conceding bucket loads of chances even now.

Mystery isn’t it, Glennon, when we played better teams last season in the cup he was one that stood out as comfortable against them. Then there were rumours of higher level clubs coming in for him in the summer. First time I saw him this season at Mansfield I actually thought he must have been playing with a bug or a cold or something - he looked that off the pace. Shame, I had high hopes for him this season. We can’t blame PH for that, I’m sure his loss of form has upset squad planning and tactically as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
October 13, 2023, 5:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
For whatever reason, right now, I don’t think we’re as good as last year.

I hope by the end of the season this changes but for me at present we just don’t move the ball quick enough to create opportunities. So often we have some possession and it ends up going ponderously sideways, or backwards.

I like Hurst but at the present time it’s just not working. I hope he turns it around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
CSLM
October 13, 2023, 8:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
I like Hurst and I think we have some quality players in the team but It feels like we need to change a little and not be so worried about the opponents.

I just think we need to go for it a bit more. We might get tonked a few times but I think we actually have the players to hurt teams. We surely would get more points playing this way. We would likely beat some of the better teams instead of hoping to grind out a result which doesn't work most of the time.

We need Maher back desperately as him and Rogers compliment each other so well and already have a great understanding, seems to help the other players to.

It's not been great so far but in my opinion the potential is there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
marinerjase
October 14, 2023, 12:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
Maher has become a ‘must’ in the starting 11..

For me (and I know it’ll go down like a lead balloon with some) - I’m not convinced at all on the progression or ‘longer term’ potential improvement on what we’ve seen thus far. Hurst has been fantastic in building squads that’d run through brick walls, be organised from the back/solid etc - I don’t see that in the current set up. It doesn’t look like a ‘team’..never mind a squad imho. There doesn’t noticeably look like we’ve a plan/set way of playing, and we’re conceding such soft goals this season. I also feel we don’t look as athletic/fit as past seasons, and are struggling to match last years squad in that respect. Yes we’ve had multiple injuries which can’t help..but all clubs have that..individually a couple have stood out at times but collectively I’m struggling to think of many times when we’ve looked a good ‘team’.. I know we beat Gillingham etc but they didn’t show up, for me out best performance was the first 45 at Bradford..not fantastic football wise but as an away side pretty much dominated. The stats of losing leads tell a story, and I’m a little concerned about this season in all honesty. We’ve sleep walked into relegation fights before..this could quite easily and fast turn into that scenario. As much as ‘we’re too good/that’ll never happen’ thoughts there’s an argument for not seeing/accepting of what may happen..

We’re all guilty of watching our side and not only wanting us to do well but maybe over inflating them also, and disregarding certain things. I’m being completely honest in that I’m seeing worrying things, don’t like saying it - and I sincerely hope I’m wrong - but I can’t pretend alls ok when I don’t feel it is. The other concern is will the crowds drop off if results/performances don’t improve..that may not seem important but it will be a factor in people’s thinking down the line. I’m actually interested in how many turn up tomorrow..on paper not the best fixture (nothing against Accrington but it’s a bit like when teams play us ..‘oh..it’s only f Grimsby’ etc) but you’d hope most turn up.

Hoping for a good win and/or performance tomorrow..but I’ve a feeling it’s not going to be easy and if it doesn’t go well a game that may be influential in terms of the fan base following the next few fixtures after.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
marinerjase
October 14, 2023, 7:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
^ concerns before todays events..last sentence maybe a factor/consideration in the weeks ahead?

Need results quick..fans forum end November and maybe the first ‘hurdle’ owners face from the supporters side?

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Bigger budget

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.