5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
BenBB
September 28, 2023, 6:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Can't beat Blundell Park for history or character! I quite like it, but biased as a Town fan and it's the first and one of the only stadiums I've been to for a football match bar new Wembley (I really need to go to an away day at some point). Looking as good as it ever has after the refurbs 1878 have done.

Not what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 47
Spurn boy
September 28, 2023, 6:11pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Blundell Park is a ground that is not only historic but the home of our beloved Mariners, generations of my family have watched football over the years here. We have never really bothered much about the ground although replacing the Barrett stand sort of modernised us a bit and improved the ground but ultimately we go to watch our team. I think the away fans probably don’t appreciate our stadium as much as we do. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
SpiritOf98
September 28, 2023, 6:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
Seen her vids before and she does some good stuff. This will always be subjective tho, what are we looking for in an ugly structure? If it's basic aesthetics then it's a little unfair, old structures age and look unfashionable and are subject to weather conditions. There are expensive towers going up in London as we speak that I find horrific aesthetically.
So many other grounds could be in the running but I think we come out of it ok, as noted a lot of the trimmings look new. Look at the turnstyle area and the signs on the walls, bright and bold and professional, for that Oldham fail badly. You can't just keep giving your wooden doors a lick of paint, they are rotting away, at some point safety becomes an issue.
Chesters Deva ground is pretty poor too, for such a new ground. That distant shots shows some stand supports that actually look like scaffolding poles.
And that's the point, BP is bloody old, sneering away fans may think it's some sort of stick to beat us with but criticism will be met with a nonchalant shrug. What can we do about it? It's where we watch our team, a place with memories that we love.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
Poojah
September 28, 2023, 6:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502
Ain’t no way BP is uglier than Holker Street.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
Chalky
September 28, 2023, 6:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Mappers
She obviously has a different taste in football grounds to me ,even on looks .

I love BP , and a fair few others on that list i am fond of

Really like Meadow Lane to Chalky Notts .

A gold star on its way to you kind sir

I like old grounds as they’ve got character and history ,grounds where non of the stands match and looks grubby I love as one day we will all be forced to the outskirts of towns and cities and be playing in various sized Mc.stadiums which all look the same
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
chaos33
September 28, 2023, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I mean - it’s an opinion and fair enough, but what a load of absolute b0ll0cks.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
AncientExiledMariner
September 28, 2023, 6:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
It wasn't the best video. She'd already made her mind up so was really selective about what she showed. Just some concrete walls, houses, and the away entrance. I noticed she didn't display the Smith stand as it's quite good looking compared to some grounds and would undermine the point. Yeah, there are flaws, and yeah it's not at the top, but I cannot say it's at the bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
louth_in_the_south
September 28, 2023, 6:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,692
Gold Stars: 96
Tbf BP is one of those grounds that is probably unappealing to an away fan as they arrive and shudder at the prospect of getting out their car .
That’s why we love it 😁

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
MarinerDevil
September 28, 2023, 6:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,781
Gold Stars: 80
The No Name Stand admittedly looks awful from the outside but I think the ground as a whole looks nice on the inside. The surrounding area is probably quite intimidating for an away fan though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
chaos33
September 28, 2023, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I reckon there are plenty of away day experiences in the EFL way worse than Cleethorpes and The BP.

Ostensibly and probably almost inarguably, there are also clutches of uglier, more soulless, less atmospheric stadiums (if it is a physical and mental assessment) than our home.
Some of those deemed ugly in that original hash up are actually really superior to loads not even named, and well worth visiting. Boundary Park and Huddersfield are both great. Leeds Road was better though. More atmospheric. More characterful. That’s a better barometer for judging relative ugliness in my book.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › No 1 ugliest stadium in England

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.