Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hursty’s Best Signing(s)?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hursty’s Best Signing(s)?

This thread currently has 2,920 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
September 24, 2023, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
To lighten the mood little.

I was reading a random article from 2019iah I think that listed the top 10 earners at Ipswich, and some familiar names were up there. It got me thinking about just who I think Hursty’s best signing for Town was/is?

Naturally there are far too many variables and categories in which fans rate players I.e. quality, longevity, impact on the team, impact on the club/commnity, goals, team successes, character, leadership etc etc… so here’s my 2p worth.

To make it slightly easier and a bit more fun I’ve done it per position!

Note, signing made whilst in joint control with Rob Scott are allowed.

Goalkeeper! For longevity and character it has to be Macca. But I was tempted to opt for Dean Henderson because he was exemplary. However, though signed by Hurst, think he might have only played him once? He shone under Bignot if I remember correctly.

Defender! Tough one this as there has been some immense defenders. Honorary mentions for Ian Miller, Carl Magnay, Shaun Pearson, Josh Gowling, Toto Nsiala, Richard Tate et al. My choice is Connor Townsend. Rolls Royce of a player

Midfield: Just has to be the ginger meastro, Craig Disley.

Forward: Again, very tough choice as there have been a few high quality ones! Think for goals and impact on the team I have to opt for Podge. Could easily have been Connell, Hearn or Bogle or McAtee though.

Who do you think are the best signings Paul has made across his two spells?

"Naturally there are far too many variables and categories in which fans rate players I.e. quality, longevity, impact on the team, impact on the club/commnity, goals, team successes, character, leadership etc etc"

I don't give a toss about most of that, I look to what a player does on the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
aldi_01
September 24, 2023, 1:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Signing often go beyond simply, who plays the best.

Bringing Shaun Pearson back into the fold seems like a great move now, similar with Croudson.

Then, if you look at players, we’ve had some crackers, some a minority seemingly didn’t understand but ultimately were much much better than some give them credit for.

Crocombe
Henderson
Townsend
Hearn
Disley
Clay
Magnay
Toto
Arnold
Tait
Mcatee
Taylor
Macca
Miller
Bogle
Amond

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
RichMariner
September 24, 2023, 1:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I think in the early days Rob Scott was a big influence on the better players we signed - McKeown, Pearson, Disley and Hearn all arrived in the same summer. Before he and Hurst joined us, they had a reputation for winning by big margins at Boston, and we saw some of that while they were joint managers here (weren’t we top scorers at home in the whole of Europe at one point, when Hearn was scoring hat-tricks for fun?).

I remember us beating Stockport by 7, sticking 5 past Alfreton a few times, Barrow, Bath, Woking, etc.

When Hurst flew solo there were still big wins here and there (7 v Halifax & Alfreton, 6 v Gateshead, 5 v Dartford, Altrincham, Stevenage).

I just think he’s become more pragmatic and defensive over time. He’s signed some cracking signings - some who are still enjoying a vert good career at this level (Bogle, Cook) and the likes of Tait, Nolan, Townsend etc have gone to play in higher divisions.

I’m pro Hurst but even I admit that it seems like he’s lost that edge. He’s a well rounded manager but just can’t get that ruthless streak going.

Trouble is, he’s now put himself in a situation where he can’t afford many more defeats, especially as we’ve now won just twice in nine, and are out of two cups.

So to dig us out of this little hole, I’m probably expecting the football to become even more attritional because we don’t look like we have the confidence to enjoy ourselves when we get ahead.

At 2-0 up yesterday, a Hurst team of the past would have put that Crawley team to bed by 3 or 4. I think he’s signed good attacking players but they can’t stay fit and when they play he can’t get them going.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
sonofmadeleymariner
September 24, 2023, 3:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
I'm too lazy to type out honorable mentions

Gk - Macca
Def - Townsend
Mid - Nolan just beats Disley because of the quality player he was over Disley
FW - Podge

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
1mickylyons
September 25, 2023, 7:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
I'd like him to sign at Shrewsbury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
diehardmariner
September 25, 2023, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I think if you're talking of an impact, then it probably has to be Nolan for me. Right time of course, but without him (and the Braintree 'keeper having a nightmare) we don't go up that year.

But then there's someone like Giles Coke.  He didn't have the 'success' but when he first arrived he was exactly what we needed.  A leader on and off the field, Matete was something else but it was Coke who allowed him to bomb forward.  

Disley, Pearson, McKeown were all absolute stellar signings for their length of consistent service.  Danny Collins, a genuinely class above player.  Dean Henderson, the one who went onto be something much, much bigger. Conor Townsend, if I'm saying Nolan got us over the line then I think it's fair to say we would have already crossed the line at ease had he stayed for the whole season.

Goals win games.  Hearn, Amond, Bogle, even Andy Cook.

A near impossible question to answer as to who is 'best'.  But if you're asking my favourite Hurst signing, I'm probably going Shaun Pearson.  Did the business here once, brought back into help do it again.  Did it, no fuss. No dramas, stepped aside when he needed to.  Just class.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
DB
September 25, 2023, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,007
Gold Stars: 386
His own contract.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
GollyGTFC
September 27, 2023, 6:42am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,958
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think if you're talking of an impact, then it probably has to be Nolan for me. Right time of course, but without him (and the Braintree 'keeper having a nightmare) we don't go up that year.

Is the Nolan myth still getting meddled. Baffling. The stats of course tell a completely different story.

Nolan started 17 regular season National League ganes in 2015/16…

W 7 D 4 L 6 GF 23 GA 22 GD +1 Pts 25 PPG 1.47

The other 29 regular season National League games that season…

W 15 D 10 L 4 GF 59 GA 23 GD +36 Pts 55 PPG 1.90

But apparently Nolan made us better and without him we wouldn’t have gone up.

The truth: Monkhouse getting injured was the catalyst for our play-off success. Hurst brought workhorse Craig Clay in central midfield and shuffled Nolan out to the left wing where the flaws in his game were less exposed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 35
Davec
September 27, 2023, 6:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,445
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Is the Nolan myth still getting meddled. Baffling. The stats of course tell a completely different story.

Nolan started 17 regular season National League ganes in 2015/16…

W 7 D 4 L 6 GF 23 GA 22 GD +1 Pts 25 PPG 1.47

The other 29 regular season National League games that season…

W 15 D 10 L 4 GF 59 GA 23 GD +36 Pts 55 PPG 1.90

But apparently Nolan made us better and without him we wouldn’t have gone up.

The truth: Monkhouse getting injured was the catalyst for our play-off success. Hurst brought workhorse Craig Clay in central midfield and shuffled Nolan out to the left wing where the flaws in his game were less exposed.

Although can't argue with stats, I feel it is slightly harsh on Nolan, there could be any number of reasons why form dipped at that time, and its not forced to be solely Nolan who indivually was excellent, and is somebody who did well at a higher level also
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
GollyGTFC
September 27, 2023, 6:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,958
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Davec

Although can't argue with stats, I feel it is slightly harsh on Nolan, who indivually was excellent, and is somebody who did well at a higher level also

Clearly. His best position isn’t central midfield in a 4-4-2. Hurst used him correctly at Shrewsbury where he was utilised in a 3 man central midfield in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 system.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hursty’s Best Signing(s)?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.