Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hursty’s Best Signing(s)?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hursty’s Best Signing(s)?

This thread currently has 2,921 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
September 24, 2023, 5:47am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
To lighten the mood little.

I was reading a random article from 2019iah I think that listed the top 10 earners at Ipswich, and some familiar names were up there. It got me thinking about just who I think Hursty’s best signing for Town was/is?

Naturally there are far too many variables and categories in which fans rate players I.e. quality, longevity, impact on the team, impact on the club/commnity, goals, team successes, character, leadership etc etc… so here’s my 2p worth.

To make it slightly easier and a bit more fun I’ve done it per position!

Note, signing made whilst in joint control with Rob Scott are allowed.

Goalkeeper! For longevity and character it has to be Macca. But I was tempted to opt for Dean Henderson because he was exemplary. However, though signed by Hurst, think he might have only played him once? He shone under Bignot if I remember correctly.

Defender! Tough one this as there has been some immense defenders. Honorary mentions for Ian Miller, Carl Magnay, Shaun Pearson, Josh Gowling, Toto Nsiala, Richard Tate et al. My choice is Connor Townsend. Rolls Royce of a player

Midfield: Just has to be the ginger meastro, Craig Disley.

Forward: Again, very tough choice as there have been a few high quality ones! Think for goals and impact on the team I have to opt for Podge. Could easily have been Connell, Hearn or Bogle or McAtee though.

Who do you think are the best signings Paul has made across his two spells?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Davec
September 24, 2023, 6:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,446
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
To lighten the mood little.

I was reading a random article from 2019iah I think that listed the top 10 earners at Ipswich, and some familiar names were up there. It got me thinking about just who I think Hursty’s best signing for Town was/is?

Naturally there are far too many variables and categories in which fans rate players I.e. quality, longevity, impact on the team, impact on the club/commnity, goals, team successes, character, leadership etc etc… so here’s my 2p worth.

To make it slightly easier and a bit more fun I’ve done it per position!

Note, signing made whilst in joint control with Rob Scott are allowed.

Goalkeeper! For longevity and character it has to be Macca. But I was tempted to opt for Dean Henderson because he was exemplary. However, though signed by Hurst, think he might have only played him once? He shone under Bignot if I remember correctly.

Defender! Tough one this as there has been some immense defenders. Honorary mentions for Ian Miller, Carl Magnay, Shaun Pearson, Josh Gowling, Toto Nsiala, Richard Tate et al. My choice is Connor Townsend. Rolls Royce of a player

Midfield: Just has to be the ginger meastro, Craig Disley.

Forward: Again, very tough choice as there have been a few high quality ones! Think for goals and impact on the team I have to opt for Podge. Could easily have been Connell, Hearn or Bogle or McAtee though.

Who do you think are the best signings Paul has made across his two spells?

Hate to be pedantic but Connell first time was signed by Neil Woods

The return of Connell which only lasted a few games was by Hurst
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
Mighty_Mariner
September 24, 2023, 6:51am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Davec

Hate to be pedantic but Connell first time was signed by Neil Woods

The return of Connell which only lasted a few games was by Hurst

Ah of course he was.. thanks for pointing that out!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
jamesgtfc
September 24, 2023, 8:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Keeper: McKeown, you can't let the ending cloud your judgement.
Defender: Conor Townsend, much better than our level in each loan spell.
Midfield: Disley, scored some important goals, and led by example.
Striker: Bogle, ridiculous to think what we could have actually signed with the fee we received for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
Son of Cod
September 24, 2023, 8:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Midfield depends on whether club legend status and longevity are being prioritised over quality. If they're not then Jay Matete trumps Disley. Absolutely ridiculous player who made that relegation season almost bearable at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
blundellpork
September 24, 2023, 9:05am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Crocombe, Townsend, Nolan, Bogle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
Youngy
September 24, 2023, 10:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,662
Gold Stars: 9
My Paul Hurst signing 11 would be -

GK: Max Crocombe
RB: Richard Tait
LB: Connor Townsend
CB: Andy Smith
CB: Toto Nisala
CM: Jon Nolan
CM: Jay Matete
CM: Craig Disley
FW: John Mcatee
FW: Padraig Amond
FW: Omar Bogle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
September 24, 2023, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Hurst has signed some very good players but also a lot of forgettable names which is par for the lower leagues, but he has never ever got enough good players in the same team that gave us a sniff of automatic promotion even in non league.

If the current lot were signed mainly on the strength of data and stats and if they were a good character it means nothing if you can't coach them to become a cohesive unit.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
GollyGTFC
September 24, 2023, 11:28am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,961
Gold Stars: 356
How has nobody got Nathan Pond in their lists? The best centre back Hurst has brought to the club by far. Unless you all know he was a Rob Scott signing?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 35
Roast Em Bobby
September 24, 2023, 11:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
I'd have Hearn, McAtee and Podge over Bogle any day of the week. Bogle only did it for about 20 games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hursty’s Best Signing(s)?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.