2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
September 10, 2023, 7:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Knowing our luck, it’ll be either freezing cold or chucking it down and everyone’s retro shirts will be hidden under winter coats!

I bought that Findus shirt by Coda last season more through nostalgia than anything - I might have to pluck up the courage and energy to suck my gut in for a sustained period for this one.

At the Gillingham game I saw someone wearing quite clearly a reproduction of the Adidas shirt with the red piping - I would LOVE that shirt, it looks great. I really hope the club can find a way to launch a CODA version of that…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
ska face
September 10, 2023, 8:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from arryarryarry

Seems a bit strange to celebrate the 145th why not leave it to a proper anniversary like the 150th unless the current owners are thinking along the lines of not being here then.

Maybe they’re thinking “we’ve got a load of tickets to shift for a traditionally unappealing fixture and here’s a decent excuse to generate some interest”? Or “marketing” I think they call it.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
The Yard Dog
September 11, 2023, 9:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
How about the club do a replica of our original jersey blue and white hoops for the 150th anniversary.

The first season the mighty mariners wore black and white stripe tops was 1910/11 but with white shorts, it was not until 1924/25 season when we wore black and white stripes with black shorts and black and white socks.

The link shows all the tops GTFC have worned, which one is your favourite?

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Grimsby_Town/Grimsby_Town.htm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
toontown
September 11, 2023, 10:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from The Yard Dog
How about the club do a replica of our original jersey blue and white hoops for the 150th anniversary.

The first season the mighty mariners wore black and white stripe tops was 1910/11 but with white shorts, it was not until 1924/25 season when we wore black and white stripes with black shorts and black and white socks.

The link shows all the tops GTFC have worned, which one is your favourite?

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Grimsby_Town/Grimsby_Town.htm

I think a modern take on that blue and white hooped 1878 kit would be apt as our away shirt for the 150th anniversary, or maybe before as '1878' are our owners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2023, 7:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
I’ve been trying to get my head around any sensible reason for celebrating such an odd anniversary and I’m struggling to be honest.

Never mind wearing a retro shirt, you still can’t get a new one in my size. Someone bought me one six weeks ago in the wrong size and I still haven’t been able to change it.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
diehardmariner
September 15, 2023, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I’ve been trying to get my head around any sensible reason for celebrating such an odd anniversary and I’m struggling to be honest.

Never mind wearing a retro shirt, you still can’t get a new one in my size. Someone bought me one six weeks ago in the wrong size and I still haven’t been able to change it.

Quoted from ska face

Maybe they’re thinking “we’ve got a load of tickets to shift for a traditionally unappealing fixture and here’s a decent excuse to generate some interest”? Or “marketing” I think they call it.

It's this simple I think.  Personally it doesn't really engage me, it feels a bit weak really and I think there's probably more value in a long, slow build up to the 150 anniversary which I would envisage including things like having our very first kit as the first team kit for that season, which is quite a popular move for clubs celebrating key anniversaries.

But they're trying something different to engage.  I don't think we can knock them for that.

The shirt availability is a separate issue altogether.  It's not great, far from it in fact, but I don't think it's exclusive to our club and I believe something a few Macron clubs have raised.  I appreciate that doesn't help your predicament though.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
1mickylyons
September 15, 2023, 12:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
I agree with Ska this is very much a money grabbing exercise on a low key fixture   Every little helps as they say at Tesco
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
arryarryarry
September 15, 2023, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ska face

Are you suggesting the Marketing Department missed a trick when we played Crawley last season or when we played really crap teams in the National League that only brought a dozen or so fans and will there be a 146th, 147th, 148th and 149th celebrations if we play Crawley in the next 4 seasons?

We could call it "Crawley Day"
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 145th Anniversary Celebrations

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.