Reply: 1 - 23
Spurn boy
September 7, 2023, 5:45pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,239
Gold Stars: 29
Very well written and very moving, I think the older we get the more time we have to reflect back on and probably loose some of our stubbornness. Great picture of the game and background. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
RichMariner
September 7, 2023, 5:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
It's on the money. He's landed on a topic we can all agree on. Set aside our petty differences, at the end of the day we all want the best for our club, our town, our family.

It's really interesting how football is quite central to that — makes you consider how important it is to have a football club at all. Some communities have lost theirs entirely, or are having to rebuild from the bottom and are finding it tough.

We all want Town to succeed, but having a squad that's trying, and pulling in the right direction, with only good people (and no time-wasting, ex-convicts, last-payday charlatans) involved.

It doesn't make defeats easier to take, but next time Town don't show up, or fail to work the keeper, I'll try and remember the bigger picture.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
DB
September 7, 2023, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Very Inspiring. It's not where you come from, but what you do.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
MuddyWaters
September 7, 2023, 7:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Very eloquent and evocative article written by a very inspiring person. Nothing to add.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Poojah
September 7, 2023, 7:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,558
Gold Stars: 1,500
The boy done good. There’s one hell an autobiography waiting to happen there, one day.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Yarborough Vaults
September 7, 2023, 8:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Great read and shows that having a tough start can forge the character to succeed - the very opposite of the victim mentality that many unfortunately get dragged down by forever.

The lines about an unknown father, brave in itself to reveal, give the glimpse of what is at the heart of being a football fan and a part of a different family.

The previous fella may have been able to sell fish but he struggled to communicate the emotion of being GTFC like this, even if he may have felt it too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
TownSNAFU5
September 7, 2023, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Yes, an excellent and perceptive article.  You may get divorced but you do not change your football club.  

I have been married for 41 football seasons. Although I reckon the 6 or 7 seasons spent in Non-League should be discounted!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
always grimsby
September 7, 2023, 9:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 7
Great Article and down to earth just as the man is I lost my mum last year and although she had dementia she always asked how’s town doing
A lot of us oldies on here can relate to what he is saying
although not in monetary or achievement terms we are all the same in terms of loving our club and town and are proud of both
I am away on holiday but will be back for the Crawley game
I will be listening in on Saturday dinner time mid afternoon here and will be paceing up and down willing town on  All Town aren’t we
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.