Reply: 1 - 23
Spurn boy
September 7, 2023, 5:45pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,244
Gold Stars: 30
Very well written and very moving, I think the older we get the more time we have to reflect back on and probably loose some of our stubbornness. Great picture of the game and background. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
RichMariner
September 7, 2023, 5:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,136
Gold Stars: 209
It's on the money. He's landed on a topic we can all agree on. Set aside our petty differences, at the end of the day we all want the best for our club, our town, our family.

It's really interesting how football is quite central to that — makes you consider how important it is to have a football club at all. Some communities have lost theirs entirely, or are having to rebuild from the bottom and are finding it tough.

We all want Town to succeed, but having a squad that's trying, and pulling in the right direction, with only good people (and no time-wasting, ex-convicts, last-payday charlatans) involved.

It doesn't make defeats easier to take, but next time Town don't show up, or fail to work the keeper, I'll try and remember the bigger picture.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
DB
September 7, 2023, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
Very Inspiring. It's not where you come from, but what you do.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
MuddyWaters
September 7, 2023, 7:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Very eloquent and evocative article written by a very inspiring person. Nothing to add.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Poojah
September 7, 2023, 7:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,611
Gold Stars: 1,503
The boy done good. There’s one hell an autobiography waiting to happen there, one day.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Yarborough Vaults
September 7, 2023, 8:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Great read and shows that having a tough start can forge the character to succeed - the very opposite of the victim mentality that many unfortunately get dragged down by forever.

The lines about an unknown father, brave in itself to reveal, give the glimpse of what is at the heart of being a football fan and a part of a different family.

The previous fella may have been able to sell fish but he struggled to communicate the emotion of being GTFC like this, even if he may have felt it too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
TownSNAFU5
September 7, 2023, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,884
Gold Stars: 42
Yes, an excellent and perceptive article.  You may get divorced but you do not change your football club.  

I have been married for 41 football seasons. Although I reckon the 6 or 7 seasons spent in Non-League should be discounted!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
always grimsby
September 7, 2023, 9:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 7
Great Article and down to earth just as the man is I lost my mum last year and although she had dementia she always asked how’s town doing
A lot of us oldies on here can relate to what he is saying
although not in monetary or achievement terms we are all the same in terms of loving our club and town and are proud of both
I am away on holiday but will be back for the Crawley game
I will be listening in on Saturday dinner time mid afternoon here and will be paceing up and down willing town on  All Town aren’t we
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
September 7, 2023, 10:12pm
Guest User
Wow.
Reply: 10 - 23
acko338
September 7, 2023, 10:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
The club is now in good hands, with a business minded and expert set of Directors at the top.

I believe that it will be 5 years before we really appreciate how solid and safe that the affairs and infrastructure of the club will have evolved.

By then,  I hope that maybe 1 promotion has occurred, the ground will have been improved, a new training facility will be in place, and player recruitment will be easier, from facility improvements, to player welfare.

If we are working to be a good and preferred club for loanees to come to, then the word will spread around potential signings that we are a viable choice.

This may also lead to more investors in years to come, with similar ethics and beliefs as the current team.

So, patience rather than sudden growth without proper financial backing in place works for me !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
September 7, 2023, 11:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Wow...the bloke had it tough. Great to see that things came good for him despite all the obstacles that normally bar success. We are very lucky to have such a person involved in the football club, very lucky. Good luck to him, i have no doubt that his tenure at Town will go down in history as a period of success over adversity. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
grimsby pete
September 7, 2023, 11:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I have lived away from home for over 36 years now but like Jason and many others miss GRIMSBY going to the game and walking down the prom.

Because of poor health I will never see another game at the park or walk down the prom again.

BUT

Will be watching my team on the box and wishing I was there shouting and singing going home home with a sore throat.

We have a mini town supporters club here with my wife grandkids and now great grandkids all supporting the mariners.

Both my parents have died since we have been down here before my dad passed away I enjoyed taking him to the game when I came up it was the least I could do seeing it was him that took me as a seven year old to my first match..

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
toontown
September 7, 2023, 11:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Wow, really opened up in that article about some personal things. Jason is an impressive writer, as well as an impressive football club chairman and entrepreneur.

Personally I've moved away a few times, but I've always ended up coming back, being a GTFC fan was a constant though and part of my identity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
bradzmilne
September 8, 2023, 12:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,427
Gold Stars: 30
What an incredibly moving read.

We’re very fortunate to have this man at the helm.

I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again:
There is no (joint) owner I’d rather have than JS, in English football.

Intelligent, articulate, forward thinking… But most importantly, one of us.

Other owners may have larger wealth. However, sustainability always beats impulsive investment.

Jason, thank you for everything & sorry to hear about the death of your mother - may she rest in peace.

When push comes to shove - we’re all town aren’t we?

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
tarka
September 8, 2023, 10:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
Well written and evocative piece. It brought to mind reading Fever Pitch and what following Arsenal did for Nick Hornby at a difficult time in his life.

I lost my mum when I was 13 and, although he was a lovely bloke, my dad struggled to come to terms with his loss as well as bringing up the 3 of us, of which I was the eldest. Watching McMenemy's team was my form of release and a perfect opportunity for joy and happiness.

It wasn't a cure-all for grief and sadness but it did really help.

Good piece Jason and may she rest in peace.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
The Caterham Mariner
September 8, 2023, 3:21pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Hhhmmm relatable,
Like many live away from Grimsby by choice,having served in the Army 22 years married settled down South with a grown up family.
I go back up when possible or circumstances dictate always with an alternative  motive get a game in and grab some proper Fish and Chips down "Prom!"
Drive round the old town places you remember  from childhood etc.
Support "Town" coz I waz born and bred there.
What ever division been in , trying to find out the score in far flung places.
You know your home is when you drive over Caistor top from the Wolds and ahead in the distance is the Dock Tower - Grimsby!!
Go into work on a Monday morning some blokes ask "how did you get on Saturday?"
Joys of supporting Grimsby...
These new owners i have alot of time for mainly because they are one of us.
UTM 2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
DB
September 8, 2023, 5:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
With dedication and a lot of effort, the boy from the back streets made it. Well done Jason you deserve your success.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
September 8, 2023, 6:48pm
Guest User
Hhhmmm relatable,
Like many live away from Grimsby by choice,having served in the Army 22 years married settled down South with a grown up family.
I go back up when possible or circumstances dictate always with an alternative  motive get a game in and grab some proper Fish and Chips down "Prom!"
You know your home is when you drive over Caistor top from the Wolds and ahead in the distance is the Dock Tower - Grimsby!!
UTM 2023--24

I'm going to hazard a guess you were in one of the Guards Regiments, am I right?

Reply: 19 - 23
The Caterham Mariner
September 8, 2023, 6:52pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from 123614

I'm going to hazard a guess you were in one of the Guards Regiments, am I right?

Correct

In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
September 8, 2023, 7:00pm
Guest User

Correct

1 R Anglian myself, 14 years.

Reply: 21 - 23
forza ivano
September 8, 2023, 11:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,210
Gold Stars: 265
Hhhmmm relatable,
UTM 2023--24

so much truth in that.

I would add in, being known ,by all friends, acquaintances and local pub regulars as '  Grimsby Andy' !  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
The Caterham Mariner
September 9, 2023, 7:59am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

so much truth in that.

I would add in, being known ,by all friends, acquaintances and local pub regulars as '  Grimsby Andy' !  

Funny thing is you don't realise you have an accent too but that gets pointed out .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.