This thread currently has 5,090 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
September 5, 2023, 3:39pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Is he still at Clee Town. I notice he's not been playing for them this season or been on the bench.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
GlosMariner
September 5, 2023, 3:54pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +4
Been on holiday I think til last weekend?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
GlosMariner
September 5, 2023, 3:54pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +4
Still at Clee I believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Meza
September 5, 2023, 4:52pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
was on the bench in the Fa cup game recently.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
jimgtfc
September 5, 2023, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
From arguably one of the best goalkeepers in League Two, to warming the bench at Cleethorpes Town. A staggering decline.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Freemoash88
September 5, 2023, 7:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from jimgtfc
From arguably one of the best goalkeepers in League Two, to warming the bench at Cleethorpes Town. A staggering decline.

Crazy to think he was being looked at league 1 Teams and above few seasons ago when he lost his head and banged a transfer request in. I agree with the decline tho I still thought a national league Team close to home or god forbid even a conference north team maybe. Just goes to show how quick your career can decline in football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
male private Nale
September 5, 2023, 7:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Yeah so what ? Scott Vernon is a scaff on the refinery from playing for Aberdeen , decline happens to them all, fair play he still wants to be involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
fishcake63
September 5, 2023, 7:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
No matter was brill in his prime , wish him luck no matter what
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
aldi_01
September 5, 2023, 8:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the bigger question is what really happened…granted, once Crocombe was as brought into the first team we never looked back but Macca just seemingly disappeared and the question was never asked.

From a long term servant and decent player to nothing, was pretty quick. Nobody denying they all have to drop down and eventually give up but seemed to happen quite quick to Macca…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
dapperz fun pub
September 5, 2023, 8:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,951
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from aldi_01
I think the bigger question is what really happened…granted, once Crocombe was as brought into the first team we never looked back but Macca just seemingly disappeared and the question was never asked.

From a long term servant and decent player to nothing, was pretty quick. Nobody denying they all have to drop down and eventually give up but seemed to happen quite quick to Macca…

Showed his character when hendo turned up imo red x away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
aldi_01
September 5, 2023, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Didn’t he do that a couple of times during his time here?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
blundellpork
September 5, 2023, 9:17pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
We’ve had plenty of better keepers at this level- Mildenhall, W Henderson, D Henderson, Crocombe and Eastwood off the top of my head. He was a good keeper at conference level, but no more than average in the fourth tier.

Very surprised that he didn’t get a Conference or North/ South club, but you just don’t know players circumstances as to whether they are willing to uproot the family, especially if it’s only for a one year contract, and the money isn’t that great.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Ash brown
September 5, 2023, 9:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +22
The other Clee keeper did look top notch in the friendly against town pre season tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
jamesgtfc
September 5, 2023, 10:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,964
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

He's got a bad back injury apparently which may explain his rapid decline. He's been dropped by Clee because Leigh Overton (ex Town youth player) deserves the shirt.

Him and Overton were both on holiday at the same time the other week, so Declyn Dennis (released by Town in the summer) played a couple of games for them.

By all accounts, he hasn't endeared himself well with the Clee regulars.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
Gainsbro_Mariner
September 6, 2023, 6:41am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
Looking at it from the other side, being a Goalkeeper is a pretty hard job when you're a free agent because most teams already have 1 or 2, so when you're looking for work you can quickly realise that the 6 or 7 potential teams within a decent driving radius are already sorted in that department.

When he was released I seem to remember most of the local teams already had keepers signed on, I am aware he trained a little with Scunthorpe but for whatever reason they brought that young lad in from Sheffield United instead and that was that.

He is clearly settled in the area so it was very doubtful that he was going to up route his family so when the chance came for him to go to Ireland when he moved to Finn Harps it was only on a short term deal and didn't involve taking his wife and kids.

I am pretty sure Cleethorpes was the right move for him although I have no doubt he's still capable of playing in higher divisions, I think he has a job outside of football now doesn't he? So Cleethorpes is probably the inevitable winding down of his career, he is 34 now so no spring chicken and probably has an eye on what's next in life rather than attempting to get back to a higher standard of football.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
aldi_01
September 6, 2023, 6:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He's got a bad back injury apparently which may explain his rapid decline. He's been dropped by Clee because Leigh Overton (ex Town youth player) deserves the shirt.

Him and Overton were both on holiday at the same time the other week, so Declyn Dennis (released by Town in the summer) played a couple of games for them.

By all accounts, he hasn't endeared himself well with the Clee regulars.

I know he’s got the on going back injury which I suspect didn’t help his chances of getting a conference club, I’d imagine he probably wanted too much wage wise too.

Do Clee Town still do that thing where they bring in ex pros and put them straight into the squad then? I can see their point but surely it’s not good for morale or the lads who’ve been working hard week in week out to be bumped for an aging ex pro…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2023, 6:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from aldi_01

I know he’s got the on going back injury which I suspect didn’t help his chances of getting a conference club, I’d imagine he probably wanted too much wage wise too.

Do Clee Town still do that thing where they bring in ex pros and put them straight into the squad then? I can see their point but surely it’s not good for morale or the lads who’ve been working hard week in week out to be bumped for an aging ex pro…

Loads of lower league clubs use ex-pros who have settled in their locality. It’s certainly not a ‘Cleethorpes thing’.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
aldi_01
September 6, 2023, 6:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Loads of lower league clubs use ex-pros who have settled in their locality. It’s certainly not a ‘Cleethorpes thing’.

I know it’s not a Cleethorpes thing but my point still stands and as we saw pre season, the lad they had was arguably better, and probably doesn’t have a back injury…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2023, 6:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

I know it’s not a Cleethorpes thing but my point still stands and as we saw pre season, the lad they had was arguably better, and probably doesn’t have a back injury…

But he’s ex Town too!
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
jamesgtfc
September 6, 2023, 7:02am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Yes, they had a really good keeper who was very popular with the fans, signed McKeown on a Friday who confessed to not touching a football since leaving Finn Harps 8 weeks ago and put him in the starting lineup the next day. By Monday, their keeper was gone and McKeown went on to let in a few howlers.

People are saying he's on quite a bit of money with half paid by a sponsor that expects him to play. Overton isn't having howlers, is pulling off some good saves and distributes far better than McKeown ever has.

I've been told that McKeown has turned up to games, sulked with a coffee and abruptly left at full time when he's not playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2023, 7:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Yes, they had a really good keeper who was very popular with the fans, signed McKeown on a Friday who confessed to not touching a football since leaving Finn Harps 8 weeks ago and put him in the starting lineup the next day. By Monday, their keeper was gone and McKeown went on to let in a few howlers.

People are saying he's on quite a bit of money with half paid by a sponsor that expects him to play. Overton isn't having howlers, is pulling off some good saves and distributes far better than McKeown ever has.

I've been told that McKeown has turned up to games, sulked with a coffee and abruptly left at full time when he's not playing.

Kudos to the Clee managers if that’s true. He seems to think he’s above a selection process.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
September 6, 2023, 9:33am
Guest User
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

This.

Reply: 21 - 30
Kris2
September 6, 2023, 1:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Seems to have been left out in the cold after being dropped and by some reports had a bit of a falling out with Hurst and Doig so they'd rather bring the youth keeper to get some experience travelling with the squad than deal with him moping about.

Seems like his attitude has not improved despite falling down the leagues and carries himself like a guy who knows his career is coming to an end and doesn't care anymore about fighting for his place or if he's not playing. Was once an essential part of the squad after winning his place from experienced keeper Kenny Arthur but seems to have lost his mind once managers started bringing in reserve keepers to challenge for the #1 shirt. Wanted to leave after being dropped for Henderson and the latter's performances making him popular with the fans. Got his spot back when Henderson left and when challenged again by Eastwood who came in on loan after being dropped he lost his mind again and began acting out. Almost did leave a couple of times and came close to a move to Scotland but the Mrs didn't want to uproot the kids away from the area and all their friends while still in school.

After Hurst left originally and he wasn't favoured anymore he really lost his head. Maybe when they came back he felt comfortable as Pearson came back in who is another player Hurst and McKeown both like and probably felt he'd be guaranteed his place and fell out with everybody when he saw he wasn't after some poor performances.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Considering how quickly Hurst has proved to be at getting rid of anyone with an iota of an attitude, I find it very interesting that there's a suggestion that McKeown has/had one.

He just regressed.  Injuries, lack of form/confidence, lack of interest or motivation...it happens to every single player at some point in there career, in the case of McKeown it just happened relatively early for a goalkeeper.  Mainstay under Hurst first time round, but wasn't the same player in 2021.  Hurst rightly brought in Eastwood and then Crocombe to replace him.  

Yeah, he had a bit of a strop when he lost his place to Henderson but intercourse me, he's only human.  I have a sulk most days when things don't go my way.  I can imagine that Bignot handled it with his usual tactful approach too...  I also don't mind players not liking it when they lose their place, same as when they get subbed off and storm down the tunnel in a rage.  I want them to be drunk off rather than accepting it.  

He was a great servant for us. He did well by us and we did well by him.  Can we leave it at that?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
somersetmariner
September 6, 2023, 4:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from diehardmariner
Considering how quickly Hurst has proved to be at getting rid of anyone with an iota of an attitude, I find it very interesting that there's a suggestion that McKeown has/had one.

He just regressed.  Injuries, lack of form/confidence, lack of interest or motivation...it happens to every single player at some point in there career, in the case of McKeown it just happened relatively early for a goalkeeper.  Mainstay under Hurst first time round, but wasn't the same player in 2021.  Hurst rightly brought in Eastwood and then Crocombe to replace him.  

Yeah, he had a bit of a strop when he lost his place to Henderson but intercourse me, he's only human.  I have a sulk most days when things don't go my way.  I can imagine that Bignot handled it with his usual tactful approach too...  I also don't mind players not liking it when they lose their place, same as when they get subbed off and storm down the tunnel in a rage.  I want them to be drunk off rather than accepting it.  

He was a great servant for us. He did well by us and we did well by him.  Can we leave it at that?

Great post

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
gtfc_chris
September 7, 2023, 7:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from diehardmariner

Absolutely true. I'm not ordinarily and wouldn't ever claim to be an 'ITK' poster, but on this one occasion I know 100% that this was the source of frustration/annoyance. The fine details may be a little fuzzy but if I remember rightly, McKeown found out he was dropped by social media or an interview. It wasn't that Henderson was given the shirt, it was how Bignot didn't talk to him about it, explain his decision, give feedback on what he needed to improve or even simply that it was going to happen. He found out via the same channels the fans do. Whatever the specific details were, I know the broad part was Bignots handling of it and that's why he wanted out - the manager, not the situation.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
RichMariner
September 7, 2023, 6:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
McKeown wasn't the only player frustrated by Bignot. As I remember it, Pearson and Disley were also disillusioned and confused by what he was doing. I don't think he looked after the senior/experienced pros well.

Those three in particular, at the time, were proper Grimsby players. They'd all joined in the same summer, and had been together for 5+ years (which is decent going at NL/L2 level).

Bignot played Gunning over Pearson, loaned some guy off Brum over Dis, and dropped McKeown for Henderson. I'm pretty sure those three must have been knocking on Bignot's door, then Fenty's door, wondering what the hell was going on.

Remember, we won at Blackpool and Bignot still got sacked. He'll say he was experimenting but I don't think any of the senior pros were on board with it, and coupled with Slade's availability, maybe that's why Fenty acted.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
September 7, 2023, 6:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from RichMariner
McKeown wasn't the only player frustrated by Bignot. As I remember it, Pearson and Disley were also disillusioned and confused by what he was doing. I don't think he looked after the senior/experienced pros well.

Those three in particular, at the time, were proper Grimsby players. They'd all joined in the same summer, and had been together for 5+ years (which is decent going at NL/L2 level).

Bignot played Gunning over Pearson, loaned some guy off Brum over Dis, and dropped McKeown for Henderson. I'm pretty sure those three must have been knocking on Bignot's door, then Fenty's door, wondering what the hell was going on.

Remember, we won at Blackpool and Bignot still got sacked. He'll say he was experimenting but I don't think any of the senior pros were on board with it, and coupled with Slade's availability, maybe that's why Fenty acted.

Henderson was always going to get picked over Macca. different class.

Reply: 27 - 30
Tommy
September 7, 2023, 6:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from RichMariner

In fairness, it was Hurst who didn't favour Pearson that season. Bignot brought him into the side in December I think and SP was excellent I thought and stayed in the team for the majority of the season. Bignot actually used Gunning in that holding midfield role for some strange reason.

And can't really blame him for replacing McKeown with Henderson can we. Henderson was streets above anything at this level, and probably the two levels above.

You're right in that he probably didn't manage the senior pros of the dressing room in the right way, but I don't particularly blame him for the selection/non-selection of those 3 mentioned.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
jamesgtfc
September 7, 2023, 7:02pm
Vodka Drinker
If anything, you have to wonder why Hurst didn't play Henderson who was apparently absolutely brilliant in training too. Henderson was first choice for Hurst at L1 Shrewsbury the following season. Hurst is more more ruthless in that regard this time around.

I do agree that Bignot didn't handle the situation well at all though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
Abdul19
September 7, 2023, 7:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from 123614

Henderson was always going to get picked over Macca. different class.

Took 4 months to get in the team tbf.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › James McKeown

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.