MuddyWaters
September 6, 2023, 7:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Yes, they had a really good keeper who was very popular with the fans, signed McKeown on a Friday who confessed to not touching a football since leaving Finn Harps 8 weeks ago and put him in the starting lineup the next day. By Monday, their keeper was gone and McKeown went on to let in a few howlers.

People are saying he's on quite a bit of money with half paid by a sponsor that expects him to play. Overton isn't having howlers, is pulling off some good saves and distributes far better than McKeown ever has.

I've been told that McKeown has turned up to games, sulked with a coffee and abruptly left at full time when he's not playing.

Kudos to the Clee managers if that’s true. He seems to think he’s above a selection process.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
September 6, 2023, 9:33am
Guest User
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Showed his character when hendo turned up imo red x away

This.

Reply: 21 - 30
Kris2
September 6, 2023, 1:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Seems to have been left out in the cold after being dropped and by some reports had a bit of a falling out with Hurst and Doig so they'd rather bring the youth keeper to get some experience travelling with the squad than deal with him moping about.

Seems like his attitude has not improved despite falling down the leagues and carries himself like a guy who knows his career is coming to an end and doesn't care anymore about fighting for his place or if he's not playing. Was once an essential part of the squad after winning his place from experienced keeper Kenny Arthur but seems to have lost his mind once managers started bringing in reserve keepers to challenge for the #1 shirt. Wanted to leave after being dropped for Henderson and the latter's performances making him popular with the fans. Got his spot back when Henderson left and when challenged again by Eastwood who came in on loan after being dropped he lost his mind again and began acting out. Almost did leave a couple of times and came close to a move to Scotland but the Mrs didn't want to uproot the kids away from the area and all their friends while still in school.

After Hurst left originally and he wasn't favoured anymore he really lost his head. Maybe when they came back he felt comfortable as Pearson came back in who is another player Hurst and McKeown both like and probably felt he'd be guaranteed his place and fell out with everybody when he saw he wasn't after some poor performances.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Considering how quickly Hurst has proved to be at getting rid of anyone with an iota of an attitude, I find it very interesting that there's a suggestion that McKeown has/had one.

He just regressed.  Injuries, lack of form/confidence, lack of interest or motivation...it happens to every single player at some point in there career, in the case of McKeown it just happened relatively early for a goalkeeper.  Mainstay under Hurst first time round, but wasn't the same player in 2021.  Hurst rightly brought in Eastwood and then Crocombe to replace him.  

Yeah, he had a bit of a strop when he lost his place to Henderson but intercourse me, he's only human.  I have a sulk most days when things don't go my way.  I can imagine that Bignot handled it with his usual tactful approach too...  I also don't mind players not liking it when they lose their place, same as when they get subbed off and storm down the tunnel in a rage.  I want them to be drunk off rather than accepting it.  

He was a great servant for us. He did well by us and we did well by him.  Can we leave it at that?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
somersetmariner
September 6, 2023, 4:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from diehardmariner
Considering how quickly Hurst has proved to be at getting rid of anyone with an iota of an attitude, I find it very interesting that there's a suggestion that McKeown has/had one.

He just regressed.  Injuries, lack of form/confidence, lack of interest or motivation...it happens to every single player at some point in there career, in the case of McKeown it just happened relatively early for a goalkeeper.  Mainstay under Hurst first time round, but wasn't the same player in 2021.  Hurst rightly brought in Eastwood and then Crocombe to replace him.  

Yeah, he had a bit of a strop when he lost his place to Henderson but intercourse me, he's only human.  I have a sulk most days when things don't go my way.  I can imagine that Bignot handled it with his usual tactful approach too...  I also don't mind players not liking it when they lose their place, same as when they get subbed off and storm down the tunnel in a rage.  I want them to be drunk off rather than accepting it.  

He was a great servant for us. He did well by us and we did well by him.  Can we leave it at that?

Great post

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
gtfc_chris
September 7, 2023, 7:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from diehardmariner

Absolutely true. I'm not ordinarily and wouldn't ever claim to be an 'ITK' poster, but on this one occasion I know 100% that this was the source of frustration/annoyance. The fine details may be a little fuzzy but if I remember rightly, McKeown found out he was dropped by social media or an interview. It wasn't that Henderson was given the shirt, it was how Bignot didn't talk to him about it, explain his decision, give feedback on what he needed to improve or even simply that it was going to happen. He found out via the same channels the fans do. Whatever the specific details were, I know the broad part was Bignots handling of it and that's why he wanted out - the manager, not the situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
RichMariner
September 7, 2023, 6:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
McKeown wasn't the only player frustrated by Bignot. As I remember it, Pearson and Disley were also disillusioned and confused by what he was doing. I don't think he looked after the senior/experienced pros well.

Those three in particular, at the time, were proper Grimsby players. They'd all joined in the same summer, and had been together for 5+ years (which is decent going at NL/L2 level).

Bignot played Gunning over Pearson, loaned some guy off Brum over Dis, and dropped McKeown for Henderson. I'm pretty sure those three must have been knocking on Bignot's door, then Fenty's door, wondering what the hell was going on.

Remember, we won at Blackpool and Bignot still got sacked. He'll say he was experimenting but I don't think any of the senior pros were on board with it, and coupled with Slade's availability, maybe that's why Fenty acted.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
September 7, 2023, 6:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from RichMariner
McKeown wasn't the only player frustrated by Bignot. As I remember it, Pearson and Disley were also disillusioned and confused by what he was doing. I don't think he looked after the senior/experienced pros well.

Those three in particular, at the time, were proper Grimsby players. They'd all joined in the same summer, and had been together for 5+ years (which is decent going at NL/L2 level).

Bignot played Gunning over Pearson, loaned some guy off Brum over Dis, and dropped McKeown for Henderson. I'm pretty sure those three must have been knocking on Bignot's door, then Fenty's door, wondering what the hell was going on.

Remember, we won at Blackpool and Bignot still got sacked. He'll say he was experimenting but I don't think any of the senior pros were on board with it, and coupled with Slade's availability, maybe that's why Fenty acted.

Henderson was always going to get picked over Macca. different class.

Reply: 27 - 30
Tommy
September 7, 2023, 6:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from RichMariner

In fairness, it was Hurst who didn't favour Pearson that season. Bignot brought him into the side in December I think and SP was excellent I thought and stayed in the team for the majority of the season. Bignot actually used Gunning in that holding midfield role for some strange reason.

And can't really blame him for replacing McKeown with Henderson can we. Henderson was streets above anything at this level, and probably the two levels above.

You're right in that he probably didn't manage the senior pros of the dressing room in the right way, but I don't particularly blame him for the selection/non-selection of those 3 mentioned.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
jamesgtfc
September 7, 2023, 7:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,987
Gold Stars: 190
If anything, you have to wonder why Hurst didn't play Henderson who was apparently absolutely brilliant in training too. Henderson was first choice for Hurst at L1 Shrewsbury the following season. Hurst is more more ruthless in that regard this time around.

I do agree that Bignot didn't handle the situation well at all though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › James McKeown

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.