2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Heswall Mariner
September 5, 2023, 5:41pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Didn't we have two sent off for fighting with each other - or was that in another match?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
RichMariner
September 5, 2023, 5:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Think that was another match. Sadly, we lost this with 11 men still on the pitch at full time!

I may have made this up, but I remember tuning in to the radio that night and I'm sure Burnsy (or someone) fancied Town for the win!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
headingly_mariner
September 5, 2023, 6:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,361
Gold Stars: 113
That was a miserable night. I remember the disbelief as the goals just kept going in. I was there and I remain convinced that sort of experience allows you to enjoy the highs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
AllanD
September 6, 2023, 6:59am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
any emotion

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,622
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Didn't we have two sent off for fighting with each other - or was that in another match?

That was Darlo away in the Leyland Daf Cup, a previous version of the EFL Trophy.  Tony Rees and Tommy Watson.

Good account of it here - https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/memory-match-grimsby-1990
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Heswall Mariner
September 6, 2023, 12:27pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
[quote=123]

That was Darlo away in the Leyland Daf Cup, a previous version of the EFL Trophy.  Tony Rees and Tommy Watson.

Good account of it here - https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/memory-match-grimsby-1990[/quote

Thanks Diehard - I remember it now.
I don't recall hose two having any previous disciplinary issues - but there must have been some latent stuff between them that erupted after the throw in & the red mist came down....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Maringer
September 6, 2023, 12:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
It's weird, because I could have sworn that I saw the game where Rees and Watson were sent off for fighting, but I never visited Feethams...

Must have seen footage at some point and the quirks of memory did the rest.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 1:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,622
Gold Stars: 539
Would love to see any footage of that incident!

I think both had a fiery streak, certainly Tony Rees.  There's a clip of him just exploding at Halifax after scoring a goal, the centre-back must have said something to him and Rees turns round and pushes him over.  But I don't think either had disciplinary problems, as you say Heswall.

Players kicking off their own team-mates is a bit of a rarity to say the least, perhaps it more a case of remembering them because it's GTFC but other than Rees/Watson and Morais/Payne I can only recall a couple of other incidents (Batty/Le Saux and Bowyer/Dyer).  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Mallyner
September 6, 2023, 2:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I remember the night very well.

We were on a walking holiday 5 day bus tour; and staying in a budget hotel in Bournemouth.

On the last night after the dinner, 8 of us from Grimsby and Cleethorpes went to their entertainment room, where there was an older guy with a great sense of humour singing.

There was also a group of about 10 from Bristol, who entered into the spirit of the night by encouraging the singer; and later on he began singing more modern and upbeat songs; and we all ended up dancing.

In his breaks we also had a bit of fun banter, they knew who we supported and I called them the Bristol Ravers.

On the next and last morning at the hotel, I got up early to eagerly look for Town's result in the morning paper, only to see with horror we had lost 8-1. You can imagine my trepidation at breakfast when the Brizzles came down, but nobody had obviously seen the result; and I got on the coach so relieved.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 20 years ago

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.