Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: It Bites, September 4, 2023, 5:11pm
Posted by: It Bites, September 4, 2023, 5:12pm; Reply: 1
I was pretty miserable before the game because Johnny Cash had died
Posted by: grimps, September 4, 2023, 5:16pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from It Bites
I was pretty miserable before the game because Johnny Cash had died

Yeah I was in hospital that night having my ACL repaired , talk about excrement days 😂
Posted by: Mappers, September 4, 2023, 5:19pm; Reply: 3
My one and only visit it was tragic.
Posted by: Maringer, September 4, 2023, 5:49pm; Reply: 4
I was at a mate's wedding. Couldn't believe it when I was told the scoreline the next morning!
Posted by: moosey_club, September 4, 2023, 5:56pm; Reply: 5
We were the better side up until that first one went in....town fan's chanting we want 6...we want 7... as the goals ramped up.
So bad it was funny by the end...and if I recall correctly the one and only appearance of a young Liam Nimmo off the bench.

All part of my GTFC memories UTM
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, September 4, 2023, 6:19pm; Reply: 6
Was driving back up the M1.
Long nite as Radio Humberside eventually came into range….
Posted by: Abdul19, September 4, 2023, 6:42pm; Reply: 7
Not our worst display of the season either  ;D
Posted by: toontown, September 4, 2023, 6:55pm; Reply: 8
I remember reading tge hartlepool mails write up and it taking the urine out of how shite Simon Ford was. Crowe had an utterly shambolic game as well. Obviously we were a very poor side all across the pitch by then though.
Posted by: Azimuth, September 5, 2023, 5:21pm; Reply: 9
It looks worse now than I remember it back then!
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, September 5, 2023, 5:41pm; Reply: 10
Didn't we have two sent off for fighting with each other - or was that in another match?
Posted by: RichMariner, September 5, 2023, 5:49pm; Reply: 11
Think that was another match. Sadly, we lost this with 11 men still on the pitch at full time!

I may have made this up, but I remember tuning in to the radio that night and I'm sure Burnsy (or someone) fancied Town for the win!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 5, 2023, 6:20pm; Reply: 12
That was a miserable night. I remember the disbelief as the goals just kept going in. I was there and I remain convinced that sort of experience allows you to enjoy the highs.
Posted by: AllanD, September 6, 2023, 6:59am; Reply: 13
any emotion
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 6, 2023, 10:35am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Didn't we have two sent off for fighting with each other - or was that in another match?

That was Darlo away in the Leyland Daf Cup, a previous version of the EFL Trophy.  Tony Rees and Tommy Watson.

Good account of it here - https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/memory-match-grimsby-1990
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, September 6, 2023, 12:27pm; Reply: 15
[quote=123]

That was Darlo away in the Leyland Daf Cup, a previous version of the EFL Trophy.  Tony Rees and Tommy Watson.

Good account of it here - https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/memory-match-grimsby-1990[/quote

Thanks Diehard - I remember it now.
I don't recall hose two having any previous disciplinary issues - but there must have been some latent stuff between them that erupted after the throw in & the red mist came down....

Posted by: Maringer, September 6, 2023, 12:40pm; Reply: 16
It's weird, because I could have sworn that I saw the game where Rees and Watson were sent off for fighting, but I never visited Feethams...

Must have seen footage at some point and the quirks of memory did the rest.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 6, 2023, 1:10pm; Reply: 17
Would love to see any footage of that incident!

I think both had a fiery streak, certainly Tony Rees.  There's a clip of him just exploding at Halifax after scoring a goal, the centre-back must have said something to him and Rees turns round and pushes him over.  But I don't think either had disciplinary problems, as you say Heswall.

Players kicking off their own team-mates is a bit of a rarity to say the least, perhaps it more a case of remembering them because it's GTFC but other than Rees/Watson and Morais/Payne I can only recall a couple of other incidents (Batty/Le Saux and Bowyer/Dyer).  
Posted by: Mallyner, September 6, 2023, 2:37pm; Reply: 18
I remember the night very well.

We were on a walking holiday 5 day bus tour; and staying in a budget hotel in Bournemouth.

On the last night after the dinner, 8 of us from Grimsby and Cleethorpes went to their entertainment room, where there was an older guy with a great sense of humour singing.

There was also a group of about 10 from Bristol, who entered into the spirit of the night by encouraging the singer; and later on he began singing more modern and upbeat songs; and we all ended up dancing.

In his breaks we also had a bit of fun banter, they knew who we supported and I called them the Bristol Ravers.

On the next and last morning at the hotel, I got up early to eagerly look for Town's result in the morning paper, only to see with horror we had lost 8-1. You can imagine my trepidation at breakfast when the Brizzles came down, but nobody had obviously seen the result; and I got on the coach so relieved.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 6:28am