4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
FishySmithy
September 4, 2023, 10:29pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from jamesgtfc
On the flip side, is it worth the clubs hassle? People won't pay over the odds for a coach so the margin they have to play with will be small. The fans contract is then with the club, so they get the headache when a coach doesn't turn up, breaks down, arrives late and everything else.

Would be great if the club run one and put profit aside (madness I hear you say) as long as they break even of sorts and on par with the up and running coach. Putting fans first and helping more fans and more importantly the fans of the future to attend more away games when the appetite is there.

Remember our motto  #greatertogether and what once was isn’t always necessary the correct way to keep doing things after all we are all about continued improvement and engagement.

FYI not rant/cull and think some valid points have been raised that’s all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 4, 2023, 11:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,835
Gold Stars: 178
I wonder if it’s only 1 pick up/drop off point (am guessing it would be BP) or are there a few on the way I.e. gy bus station, scartho etc

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Norseman
September 5, 2023, 11:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I wonder if it’s only 1 pick up/drop off point (am guessing it would be BP) or are there a few on the way I.e. gy bus station, scartho etc

I went to notts county on Terry's bus and they picked up at the farmhouse new Waltham ,Linden club ,blundell park and 1 guy at the m180 Scunthorpe turn off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Anything associated with away days, with the exception of those big bumper cup games, is never going to make the club any money.  

But I think it's about more than that.  It's about the social contract that the fans have with the club.  The people who are willing to go up and down the country every other week deserve better than having limited options to do so. Yes, of course, it's their choice at the end of the day but ultimately they're doing it for the benefit of the team and therefore the club.

Struggle to believe the club wouldn't be able to get a deal with a reputable local coach firm to accommodate this and the natural flex in the demand for each game.  A bit of prior planning and it should be largely hiccup free.  

Used Terry's bus (Bernard's before that) many a time in years gone by, going to the each bottom end of the country in godforsaken weather and was incredibly grateful for it. Not for me anymore and the idea of spending 10 hours on a bus is my idea of hell, at the time though it was a godsend.  Yet it always sat quite uncomfortably with me that all the organising fell on the shoulders of volunteers, with an actual business passing on that custom to it.  

Could be a very easy win for the club.  
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Limerick Mariner
September 6, 2023, 12:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
I noticed Mansfield had several coaches the other week - 6 or 7 and they had a pub stop in Brigg.
That’s a third of the away following. By contrast we took nearly 3k to Notts and a only couple of coaches, with many of our fans crammed on trains often with erratic timings and non-functioning toilets. The Mansfield approach seems a good alternative to me…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
gtfc_chris
September 6, 2023, 12:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Fond memories of using the Supporters Travel Club when I was younger, managed to visit some great grounds as a result of the service they offered.

I tend to agree more with the views of having more club involvement. It'd be a little disrespectful to simply take it away from Terry and his aides, but with potentially a limited reach with it being more word of mouth (to my knowledge), a more robust advertising and booking system might actually improve the interest and numbers.

If it were something the club took more ownership/interest in I'd maybe suggest that Terry would be a fantastic person to take a prominent role with his recognition and understanding of the demands and intricacies of the job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
ginnywings
September 8, 2023, 8:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Wrexham have signed Steven Fletcher, the ex Scotland International.

Pretty good signing is that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
Posh Harry
September 8, 2023, 9:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from ginnywings
Wrexham have signed Steven Fletcher, the ex Scotland International.

Pretty good signing is that.

Is it? Big, slow and old? Hope their midfielders have got neck braces with him and palmer up front cos all they’ll see is the ball flying over their heads. Wrexham seem to have been desperate to get anyone in, and this just seems desperate. Probably not cheap either
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
ginnywings
September 8, 2023, 9:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Posh Harry

Is it? Big, slow and old? Hope their midfielders have got neck braces with him and palmer up front cos all they’ll see is the ball flying over their heads. Wrexham seem to have been desperate to get anyone in, and this just seems desperate. Probably not cheap either

I think so yes, which is why I said it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
MuddyWaters
September 8, 2023, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

I think so yes, which is why I said it.

He’s the sort who would sign for them but not for us.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wrexham Away

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.