Hagrid
August 26, 2023, 6:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Thought he did alright today. Got plenty of crosses in and worked tirelessly going backwards. He's not in top form clearly, but he'll be a fine signing if he stays fit. Interesting Hurst suggesting he's still getting up to speed from a knee op.

Is that so? I havent heard the interview so didnt know that- thank you
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 152
golfer
August 26, 2023, 6:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Hagrid
Dont want to repeat myself but 3 years for Vernam… dear me

Don't know if it's anything to do with Vernam but Hurst asked me if I could kick with my left foot and run more than 100 yds. in 90 mins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 152
rancido
August 26, 2023, 6:07pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Regardless of how much data we have on all the players we signed, it will take some time to assess all the stats from the games we have played. As has been mentioned, the transfer window is still open and it will take about 10 games to assess the strengths and weaknesses of this squad. I'm sure the coaching and analytical systems we have in place will iron out our strengths and weaknesses.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 152
DB
August 26, 2023, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Chrisblor

Our start is deeply concerning, because we've got the most impotent attack in the league after 5 games:

We simply do not create enough goalscoring opportunities, and our start has been masked by by Eisa smashing in 4 worldies, which simply isn't a tactic we can rely on for the rest of the season. Our problem last season was that we actually had quite a good xG rating, but we weren't converting the chances we created due to poor finishing. So far this season we're outperforming xG (good!), but creating very very little in the way of good quality chances, and that's a deep concern.

People are reading too much into the 'quality' of the opponents we've played so far and not paying enough attention to how they've performed in the first 5 games this season. Aside from Wimbledon who've conceded 2 goals in 5 matches, we've played teams who've conceded 9, 7, 8 and 10 goals respectively this season and created absolutely intercourse all against them all. It's a big worry.

9 of those teams above us are below in the League table, which is the one that counts.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 152
Mappers
August 26, 2023, 6:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,335
Gold Stars: 118
The issue I think for haters of Hurstball is it's looking more pedestrian than ever + the obvious flaw has not been resolved . And even for a Hurst fan it would be hard to disagree

It's very predictable isn't it ?

Are we just the same as last season but with slightly better players ?

I like Hurst , think he is a good manager and a safe pair of hands .

But like Sir Alan is it just a case of it 'going stale ' with him being here such a length of time over his two spells ?

The positive is you always know what you are going to get (barring the odd game )
The negative is you always know what you are going to get

But then it's a case of be careful what you wish for to isn't it .
I suppose time will tell with this to , but will the fans take a season of home games in the same style as last season with a similiar finishing position ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 152
Chrisblor
August 26, 2023, 6:19pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB

9 of those teams above us are below in the League table, which is the one that counts.

Yes, because we've been fortunate enough that Eisa's scored 4 screamers which have helped us to win and draw a few games. The point I am making and that you are missing is that he is not going to score from 20+ yards regularly, and unless the rest of the team start creating more goalscoring opportunities than they've done in the first five games this season we're going to start falling further down the table.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 152
Hagrid
August 26, 2023, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yes, because we've been fortunate enough that Eisa's scored 4 screamers which have helped us to win and draw a few games. The point I am making and that you are missing is that he is not going to score from 20+ yards regularly, and unless the rest of the team start creating more goalscoring opportunities than they've done in the first five games this season we're going to start falling further down the table.

4? Not sure a deflected effort and a finish in the box are screamers😂
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 152
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2023, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Chrisblor

Our start is deeply concerning, because we've got the most impotent attack in the league after 5 games:

We simply do not create enough goalscoring opportunities, and our start has been masked by by Eisa smashing in 4 worldies, which simply isn't a tactic we can rely on for the rest of the season. Our problem last season was that we actually had quite a good xG rating, but we weren't converting the chances we created due to poor finishing. So far this season we're outperforming xG (good!), but creating very very little in the way of good quality chances, and that's a deep concern.

People are reading too much into the 'quality' of the opponents we've played so far and not paying enough attention to how they've performed in the first 5 games this season. Aside from Wimbledon who've conceded 2 goals in 5 matches, we've played teams who've conceded 9, 7, 8 and 10 goals respectively this season and created absolutely intercourse all against them all. It's a big worry.

We seem to have dropped our most creative midfielder. It’s not a shock, is it?
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 152
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2023, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

Is that so? I havent heard the interview so didnt know that- thank you

It was in the Thursday interview.
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 152
headingly_mariner
August 26, 2023, 6:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Chrisblor

A little be more than fortunate. Cleverly worked the ball to him for him to get the shot away.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 152
16 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Walsall Match Thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.