This thread currently has 2,475 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
August 12, 2023, 9:41am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,075
Gold Stars: 198

Harry Kane has finally signed a four-year contract with Bayern Munich in a deal worth a reported £100m.

The move ends Kane’s 19-year association with his hometown club (Spurs) where he played 435 matches and scored a club-record 280 goals after making his debut in 2011.

Good luck to him, he might actually win something now.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Sandford1981
August 12, 2023, 9:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from promotion plaice

Harry Kane has finally signed a four-year contract with Bayern Munich in a deal worth a reported £100m.

The move ends Kane’s 19-year association with his hometown club (Spurs) where he played 435 matches and scored a club-record 280 goals after making his debut in 2011.

Good luck to him, he might actually win something now.

I saw this yesterday on the subject:

‘Kane going to Munich to win trophies is like visiting a prostitute to lose your virginity!’

Edit:

* He is an outstanding footballer obviously!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Maringer
August 12, 2023, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,537
Gold Stars: 185
Can't blame him. If he'd gone to Man City a couple of seasons ago, he'd be much richer and with a pocketful of winners medals - he's such a good footballer that he'd have fitted in perfectly there and I reckon he'd have scored as many as Haaland does for them, given the chances he'd get.

If he doesn't win medals at Bayern, he's doing something wrong!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
aldi_01
August 12, 2023, 10:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I always thought Kane to City would’ve probably seen them win the European cup sooner but alas, they went for the Yorkshire Scandinavian.

Can’t fault his commitment to Spurs but I’m glad he’s gone and he’ll no doubt win a sackful of stuff at Bayern. The lads an exceptional footballer and seems a decent bloke so good luck to him.

Ironically, I suspect Spurs could actually be a little more dynamic than simply playing everything through Kane…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
ginnywings
August 12, 2023, 10:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Lot of money to pay for a player who would have been free at the end of the season, which says how highly he is valued.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
DB
August 12, 2023, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Good luck to him, what is there to knock? Absolutely nothing ( apart from not signing for Town ).

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
jimgtfc
August 12, 2023, 11:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
Should’ve left spurs 2/3 years ago

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
TownSNAFU5
August 12, 2023, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Like Rice and Bellingham etc, England players might benefit from a change of club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
AdamHaddock
August 12, 2023, 12:15pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Overdue move for him but I respect his loyalty to spurs. He stuck it out while they transitioned into the Arsenal of a few years ago - just coasting along and content with finishing in the top four.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 12, 2023, 12:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Like Rice and Bellingham etc, England players might benefit from a change of club.

It could prolong his club and international career too:

- fewer league matches
- lower intensity
- most league and cup matches will be won after 60 mins so he can be substituted
- More opportunities for rotation
- New challenge
- Reinheitsgebot
- cleaner air

Hope Kane and his family can embrace the change and make the most of it. I can’t wait to see him in his Oktoberfest lederhosen - he’ll be leathered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
Sandford1981
August 12, 2023, 1:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
At the end of the season who has scored more-him or Haaland?

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
Maringer
August 12, 2023, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,537
Gold Stars: 185
In the league? Will be interesting to see. Lewandowski averaged almost a goal a game when he was there (scoring more than a goal a game in a few seasons).

We'll have to compare the goals/game ratio as we play more games than the Bundesliga. Overall, Man City are likely to be stronger in the Champions League so Haaland ought to score a good few more altogether.

Kane is really such a good footballer - like Rooney in his prime, one of the best passers of the ball in the country as well as a goalscorer. Haaland much more focused on just scoring goals and not doing much else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
kevikov
August 12, 2023, 10:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Levy wouldn’t let him go to a Prem rival in any scenario, that leaves the top one or two clubs in two or three leagues. Real couldn’t and Barca could t afford him, PSG wanted him but he didn’t want them. That left Bayern and Bayern only in truth. He never should have signed his extension around the time city were sniffing, that wasted two years in reality.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
Heisenberg
August 12, 2023, 11:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Anyone who thinks Kane is guaranteed silverware at Bayern this season should have watched their supercup tonight - RB Leipzig are brilliant. They should contend in the bundesliga AND in Europe. Real dark horses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
LH
August 12, 2023, 11:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
As good as Leipzig were Kane would have buried a few of the chances Bayern spurned before his introduction.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Heisenberg
August 12, 2023, 11:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from LH
As good as Leipzig were Kane would have buried a few of the chances Bayern spurned before his introduction.

Agreed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
August 13, 2023, 12:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
I can't understand him going there. If he wins one or two medals so what? The German league is not a patch on the PL and lags behind the Spanish and French leagues.

I can't understand immensely wealthy footballers giving up the club they love to go to a club they have absolutely no affiliation to, in the pursuit of second rate medals.

If I were in that exalted position I would have stayed with Spurs (themselves a wonderful football club) till my career was over and become their all time greatest player, and accept that even some of the greatest players don't have a hat full of medals but have memories and respect that medals can't buy.

The money is amazing at Bayern but he already has more money than his family could ever need. He will always be a legend at Spurs but a one club man would have a special ring to it in the modern era.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
August 13, 2023, 7:19am
Brandy Drinker
I can't understand him going there. If he wins one or two medals so what? The German league is not a patch on the PL and lags behind the Spanish and French leagues.

I can't understand immensely wealthy footballers giving up the club they love to go to a club they have absolutely no affiliation to, in the pursuit of second rate medals.

If I were in that exalted position I would have stayed with Spurs (themselves a wonderful football club) till my career was over and become their all time greatest player, and accept that even some of the greatest players don't have a hat full of medals but have memories and respect that medals can't buy.

The money is amazing at Bayern but he already has more money than his family could ever need. He will always be a legend at Spurs but a one club man would have a special ring to it in the modern era.

1. The Bundesliga is stronger than Ligue 1. Dortmund and RB Leipzig are far better teams than Marseille, Lens, Lyon etc.

2. If Kane was primarily motivated by salary he would have moved to PSG or pushed through a move somewhere else.

3. You make Spurs sound like some sort of romantic, mom-and-pop, dewy eyed, jumpers for goalposts, family club. Instead, they’re gold leaf encrusted wagyu, Margaux mixed with cola, velour LV tracksuits with built in satin gusset. A horrible club, with whiny, entitled fans, an absolute cünt of a Chairman and a tax avoiding criminal of an owner. Grimsby Town they are not - well, not since Fenty left.

4. Kane would never have been remembered as Spurs’ greatest player (Greaves, Blanchflower). In the next few years, Spurs won’t win the League or a European trophy.

5. If you believe in UEFA coefficients, he’s just moved from the 22nd best side in Europe to the 2nd best in Europe/the World.

6. This isn’t a great Bayern side but, if they avoid City and Neuer returns to his best after his accident, they do have a chance of winning the Champions League. Spurs aren’t even playing in Europe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
August 13, 2023, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker

1. The Bundesliga is stronger than Ligue 1. Dortmund and RB Leipzig are far better teams than Marseille, Lens, Lyon etc.

2. If Kane was primarily motivated by salary he would have moved to PSG or pushed through a move somewhere else.

3. You make Spurs sound like some sort of romantic, mom-and-pop, dewy eyed, jumpers for goalposts, family club. Instead, they’re gold leaf encrusted wagyu, Margaux mixed with cola, velour LV tracksuits with built in satin gusset. A horrible club, with whiny, entitled fans, an absolute cünt of a Chairman and a tax avoiding criminal of an owner. Grimsby Town they are not - well, not since Fenty left.

4. Kane would never have been remembered as Spurs’ greatest player (Greaves, Blanchflower). In the next few years, Spurs won’t win the League or a European trophy.

5. If you believe in UEFA coefficients, he’s just moved from the 22nd best side in Europe to the 2nd best in Europe/the World.

6. This isn’t a great Bayern side but, if they avoid City and Neuer returns to his best after his accident, they do have a chance of winning the Champions League. Spurs aren’t even playing in Europe.

All very good but as I say if it was me I wouldn't have left Tottenham and the Premier league for the German league and a couple of big games a year. I've no affection for Spurs myself but they are his club and just think it would have been nice to play his entire career there.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
jamesgtfc
August 13, 2023, 8:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190

All very good but as I say if it was me I wouldn't have left Tottenham and the Premier league for the German league and a couple of big games a year. I've no affection for Spurs myself but they are his club and just think it would have been nice to play his entire career there.

People seem to forget the picture of him wearing an Arsenal kit in his youth. He could have gone to Saudi no doubt, but he hasn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
Heisenberg
August 13, 2023, 9:00am
Brandy Drinker

Absolutely agree with you 100%. And the Bundesliga is strong - some enormous clubs in there. Watching Leipzig last night and they were superb.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
HerveJosse
August 13, 2023, 9:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

Presumambly you think Haaland should have stayed at Molde then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
August 13, 2023, 9:10am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Indeed. Or Danny Collins or Michael Owen should have stayed at Mold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
August 13, 2023, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

I perhaps would if the cases were in any way comparable, but they are not are they?

It's just my personal opinion that he would be better served by staying in the Premier league with Spurs so I am not sure why that is seemingly so controversial but each to their own.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Sandford1981
August 13, 2023, 10:16am
Fine Wine Drinker

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
aldi_01
August 13, 2023, 3:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I perhaps would if the cases were in any way comparable, but they are not are they?

It's just my personal opinion that he would be better served by staying in the Premier league with Spurs so I am not sure why that is seemingly so controversial but each to their own.

He stays at spurs for what? Surely you want players to be ambitious. He’s moved to a league that, in truth is very similar to the premier league (let’s not pretend the premier league is super competitive at the top) but to a club that will win things.

Harry Kane is better than simply holding a record number of goals in a league…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
diehardmariner
August 13, 2023, 5:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539

It could prolong his club and international career too:

- fewer league matches
- lower intensity
- most league and cup matches will be won after 60 mins so he can be substituted
- More opportunities for rotation
- New challenge
- Reinheitsgebot
- cleaner air

Hope Kane and his family can embrace the change and make the most of it. I can’t wait to see him in his Oktoberfest lederhosen - he’ll be leathered.

Give it 2 months and the benefits of the unique Bayern training techniques...

He'll link up with his England team mates looking like a white Ronnie Coleman.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
GollyGTFC
August 14, 2023, 7:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,963
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from ginnywings
Lot of money to pay for a player who would have been free at the end of the season, which says how highly he is valued.

At elite level there’s no such thing as a free transfer. Bayern would have paid the same money if he was out of contract now. It would have just all gone to Kane through signing on fee and inflated wages and not to Spurs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 33
Heisenberg
August 14, 2023, 8:23am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

At elite level there’s no such thing as a free transfer. Bayern would have paid the same money if he was out of contract now. It would have just all gone to Kane through signing on fee and inflated wages and not to Spurs.

Which is ridiculous. When Juventus signed Aaron Ramsey for free, it should have been a case of just that - “we’re signing you because you’re a good player and you’re free. You should be delighted to be signing for Juve” - instead, what didn’t Juve do? They paid a bang average player £400K per week! There is no way on earth they’d have paid £50m-or-so if he was still under contract to Arsenal. Madness. But well done to his agent, he pulled a master stroke there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
Rick12
August 14, 2023, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

He stays at spurs for what? Surely you want players to be ambitious. He’s moved to a league that, in truth is very similar to the premier league (let’s not pretend the premier league is super competitive at the top) but to a club that will win things.

Harry Kane is better than simply holding a record number of goals in a league…
I know Real Madrid were interested in Kane and I would of thought he may of ended up there. Bayern are a big club but Real in terms of history and prestige are bigger. I note Mbappe wants to end up there as well and would of been frightening to see a front two of Kane and Mbappe playing in the famous white shirt of Real.

On a side note I still love Wayne Rooney and probably my favourite English striker of recent times. At his peak was tremendous and better than Kane I feel. Would have him just behind the likes of the original Brazilian Ronaldo.I note Alex Ferguson said something similar when he bought him as well. Best young  player he has seen in 50 years.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
aldi_01
August 14, 2023, 8:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

Which is ridiculous. When Juventus signed Aaron Ramsey for free, it should have been a case of just that - “we’re signing you because you’re a good player and you’re free. You should be delighted to be signing for Juve” - instead, what didn’t Juve do? They paid a bang average player £400K per week! There is no way on earth they’d have paid £50m-or-so if he was still under contract to Arsenal. Madness. But well done to his agent, he pulled a master stroke there.

Juve are bent, simple as that. Their transfer dealings are both scattergun and generally illegal.

They’ve just done it with Lukaku, they’ve no intention of signing him, it was merely force out a high earner which has happened.

The free transfer thing has always been a fallacy but it is also the way many players have made themselves money etc.

A former colleague of mine had only 2 moves in his career (an array of loans), and only ever had 5 contracts with small signing on fees. He’s a local legend at his former club but as he says, ‘yeh, local legend but working a normal job, in a normal house with a normal family’. His former skipper moved multiple times across various divisions and loves a much different life because of signing on fees and managed to get himself a couple of great deals as a ‘free agent’.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
ginnywings
August 14, 2023, 10:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Nah! Not having it.

I'm sure BM would have much preferred not to have to pay 100 million up front.

Are you a football agent?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
GollyGTFC
August 14, 2023, 11:43am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Nah! Not having it.

I'm sure BM would have much preferred not to have to pay 100 million up front.

Are you a football agent?

I cheerily point you to what Aaron Ramsey was paid a week at Juventus after joining for “free” and the signing on fee Mbappe received for his new contract at PSG a while back.

When clubs sign an elite players they look at the entire cost of the deal over the length of the contract and not the individual constituent parts.

Why on earth would a player worth £80m who’s out of contract not take the fee himself when he joined a new club? He’ll take every single penny.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 33
GollyGTFC
August 14, 2023, 11:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Just checked. PSG gave Mbappe a €100m signing on fee for his new 3 year contract last summer. And that’s for a player who was already at the club but out of contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Harry Kane

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.