Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Football,criticism and overcoming doubters.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Football,criticism and overcoming doubters.

This thread currently has 1,888 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Rick12
August 12, 2023, 6:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
With the advent of social media footballers are open to criticism like never before. Given the very  low percentage that make it especially at premiership and even in league 2  in comparison to other jobs its worth thinking about what we write as fans as comments can affect younger players on the up whos confidence can be shattered and affect their play. I know this first hand as there are youth team players in academy's Ive known that whilst having ability can be affected by what others say (fans and friends,family  alike) and performances can be affected negatively  .  Iam all for constructive criticism though and there is always room for improvement even amongst the greats of years gone by eg Pele,Zico ,Maradona.

The comment below is from Aaron Ramsdale current Arsenal Goalkeeper.

"When I think back on joining Arsenal ,I dont have the same story's as the others lads.Ive seen players saying oh yeah Wenger rang me up .But my story ?. The only thing I remember is the entire world telling me I was absolute s***.I got a call from my agent that the transfer was happening.Unreal .Arsenal football club.One of the best days of my life.I come back from training and see about 100 notifications .Iam use to maybe 15-20 notifications a day back then.I go to my twitter and see the news has leaked and Iam getting roasted.Iam thinking ok ,this is just modern football.Social media is toxic.Just a few trolls right?.  I turn on the tv,the ex players are all sitting around shaking their heads,and they got a lads picture up ?.Well its my face up there.Its an interesting experience watching the legends you grew up idolising saying your rubbish in front of the entire country.That really affected me.It brought me back down to earth from cloud nine in a matter of hours.I turned off the tv .I turned off all my media notifications.

When we lift a trophy at the emirates stadium ,what can the trolls tell us then?. Nothing ".

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mallyner
August 12, 2023, 7:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Some people are more sensitive than others and from my perspective, I can see how this might badly affect many players.

Looking back I know I could have played at a higher level, but my self confidence to carry the ball and take on other players that I was well capable of doing, was ruined by the odd player in my teams, who could never bring themselves to encourage, or constructively criticise, only to negatively criticise.

This must also be the case when home crowds also do the same.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
Rick12
August 12, 2023, 7:45am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner
Some people are more sensitive than others and from my perspective, I can see how this might badly affect many players.

Looking back I know I could have played at a higher level, but my self confidence to carry the ball and take on other players that I was well capable of doing, was ruined by the odd player in my teams, who could never bring themselves to encourage, or constructively criticise, only to negatively criticise.

This must also be the case when home crowds also do the same.
I read something similar on Martin O Neil when he was a player and Brian Clough affecting his confidence negatively  . Had to play within himself as Clough had favourites who thought could do more with the ball and wanted the likes of O Neil to just be" water carriers" for the more gifted types .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Brummie Codfather
August 12, 2023, 8:42am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +854
Gold Stars: 21
Can totally relate Mally, while I never had the ability to really do anything in the game but the overly negative players on teams I played with put me off to the point I thought why am I subjecting myself to this in my spare time and stopped playing altogether.  I didn’t start playing again until my mid to late 20’s when I found the right group of lads.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
jaygy
August 12, 2023, 8:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I think we sometimes forget when we're in the stands that at league 2 level a majority of the players are not playing for mega bucks, they're just trying to earn an honest wage like the rest of us. I'd be absolutely devastated if someone walked into my office telling me how sh*te I am and how I shouldn't bother turning up again.

It feels like a different story with other teams players though and players expect a level of abuse from opposing fans, it's part of what makes the game special.....but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
August 12, 2023, 9:01am
Guest User
I regret not playing at a higher level, but then I remember that I was utter shït and couldn’t kick the ball with either foot.

This does mean, however, that I don’t criticise players, as I’d have killed to have a 1000th of the ability they have
Reply: 5 - 21
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 12, 2023, 9:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
At our level and definitely below, I’d say there’s always ‘supporters’ that expect players to be like haaland, messi, ronaldo etc and don’t appreciate the level that is being played. It’s so easy to become frustrated at a game and get on players backs, we’ve all done it and seen it and every player is different in how they react. Some players will improve because of the criticism and some won’t. They aren’t robots.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
RonMariner
August 12, 2023, 10:03am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,733
Gold Stars: 226
I suppose that there is so much premier league football on TV that the saturation coverage makes us expect our L2 players to perform like someone out of the Man City squad.

There is a gulf in ability levels between PL and L2. If our players had those skill levels they wouldn’t be playing for us. It would be like expecting a bloke in a covers band down the Spiders Web to play like Eric Clapton and sing like Paul Rodgers.

So we must temper our expectations and especially in respect of young players learning their craft. We must cut them some slack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
aldi_01
August 12, 2023, 10:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Most sensible fans recognise that they’re merely blokes plying their trade like the rest of us, although I’d argue the game should be doing even more to educate them and provide them strategies etc to deal with the nonsense they sometimes get from the crowd.

Sadly, for them, or not so sad depending how you look at it, they do a job which is essentially designed to entertain and win. When neither of those things happen, there has to be an understanding of where the frustration comes from.

I think social media has played a huge part in this seemingly ever growing personal attacks on players etc. I suspect the continued pouring of cash into the game and the idea that brings success is also a reason it happens.

That said, sometimes, and we’ve all seen it as town fans, players just don’t do their jobs yet very little happens. Of course, they may not get a contract etc but how often does that really happen? Think of those absolutely wage stealing illegitimates from 09/10; most got a job elsewhere and some are still involved in the game. Yes, the club was an embarrassment but so were they.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
DB
August 12, 2023, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Rick12
With the advent of social media footballers are open to criticism like never before. Given the very  low percentage that make it especially at premiership and even in league 2  in comparison to other jobs its worth thinking about what we write as fans as comments can affect younger players on the up whos confidence can be shattered and affect their play. I know this first hand as there are youth team players in academy's Ive known that whilst having ability can be affected by what others say (fans and friends,family  alike) and performances can be affected negatively  .  Iam all for constructive criticism though and there is always room for improvement even amongst the greats of years gone by eg Pele,Zico ,Maradona.

The comment below is from Aaron Ramsdale current Arsenal Goalkeeper.

"When I think back on joining Arsenal ,I dont have the same story's as the others lads.Ive seen players saying oh yeah Wenger rang me up .But my story ?. The only thing I remember is the entire world telling me I was absolute s***.I got a call from my agent that the transfer was happening.Unreal .Arsenal football club.One of the best days of my life.I come back from training and see about 100 notifications .Iam use to maybe 15-20 notifications a day back then.I go to my twitter and see the news has leaked and Iam getting roasted.Iam thinking ok ,this is just modern football.Social media is toxic.Just a few trolls right?.  I turn on the tv,the ex players are all sitting around shaking their heads,and they got a lads picture up ?.Well its my face up there.Its an interesting experience watching the legends you grew up idolising saying your rubbish in front of the entire country.That really affected me.It brought me back down to earth from cloud nine in a matter of hours.I turned off the tv .I turned off all my media notifications.

When we lift a trophy at the emirates stadium ,what can the trolls tell us then?. Nothing ".

An excellent post. I recall the late Edward Woodward (Callan & Equaliser ) saying something like that when he filmed in the USA people praised him for being at the top of his profession, yet when he filmed in the UK people wanted to knock him down.

Likewise, I believe Ian Botham said similar that we are told to make something of ourselves and when we do people want to kick us in the teeth.

Nobody has really explained why but envy and jealousy come to mind. Most people at the top of their chosen profession have worked hard, put in the hours and made sacrifices. All I can say is good luck to them and well done.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
arryarryarry
August 12, 2023, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jaygy
I think we sometimes forget when we're in the stands that at league 2 level a majority of the players are not playing for mega bucks, they're just trying to earn an honest wage like the rest of us. I'd be absolutely devastated if someone walked into my office telling me how sh*te I am and how I shouldn't bother turning up again.

It feels like a different story with other teams players though and players expect a level of abuse from opposing fans, it's part of what makes the game special.....but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed.

Not really like working in an office, any criticism would in the main becoming from fans who are paying good money to see you perform.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
grimsby pete
August 12, 2023, 3:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Some people just like to moan about anything but if the same comments were made to them they would be outraged.

It's so easy to spout off against a player who will never see you face to face so think on would I like rubbish said to me on social media.

I can understand when many players say they don't use social media anymore.

Not many players are thick skinned and just shrug their shoulders saying its like water running off his back.

They are human and may even have other problems in their life to worry about.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Mayaman
August 12, 2023, 3:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
On the whole, it's not good but It's always been a problem in the UK.  I read Tony Cascarino's autobiography and he was having a bad spell at  Chelsea. He was in a supermarket with his kid and somebody called him something beginning with 'C".  He said that it's fair enough to slag him off but not in front of his family.  When he went to Marseille, he started off badly and people would encourage him when they saw him around time.

Social media has made it easier to have a go. It's very cowardly but it's not exclusive to celebrities.   The kids at my school were having a go at the principal on FB.  Lo and behold, he got canned.  I am not saying that is thedefinitive reason but it could eaisly of being a factor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Rick12
August 12, 2023, 5:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Most people at the top of their chosen profession have worked hard, put in the hours and made sacrifices. All I can say is good luck to them and well done.

The players Ive always loved DB be it in football or others sports are those that sacrifice and try to go the extra mile to always want to improve. One that stands out for me in football from years gone by is Stanley Matthews who often trained with a tennis ball and kicked it against the wall and spent lots of time on his own practising  the famous Matthews shimney eg pretending to go one way but then went another to name but just some of things he done .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
Yoda
August 12, 2023, 6:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,141
Gold Stars: 71
No fan expects Maradona every week.
But most fans expect a ten yard pass to be completed by a professional.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
1mickylyons
August 12, 2023, 7:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Professional players should be capable of doing the basics correctly like taking throw ins and accurate short passes or crossing a ball into an area.If they consistently can't get those right they shouldn't make the pitch
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
kevikov
August 12, 2023, 10:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Professional players should be capable of doing the basics correctly like taking throw ins and accurate short passes or crossing a ball into an area.If they consistently can't get those right they shouldn't make the pitch

This is what fries my beans, our players must be able to do the basics, they train all week, and if they couldn’t complete a simple ten yard pass to another team mate, surely to god you wouldn’t sign them? So it’s when they cross the white line on a Saturday/Tuesday that everything changes. That must come down to confidence surely? Or faith in the system/tactics? To have the majority of your squad in the building early and a full preseason to train together, they shouldn’t be “rabbits in the headlights” should they?

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
denni266
August 12, 2023, 11:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Its all down to Hurst at the end of the day. our not so new owners need to get their heads out the sand and tell him his job aint as safe as it could be / Because he is too comfy as he is .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
DB
August 13, 2023, 10:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
They are paid to put in the maximum effort for 2/4 hours per week, depending on 1/2 matches. The rest of the time is spent on preparation and training.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
aldi_01
August 13, 2023, 2:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Professional sports people put effort in whether it’s training or a game situation. I’ve had the pleasure of attending training sessions for the likes of City and Liverpool and whilst we all know they don’t fly in to tackles, the intensity and desire to win was still there. It’s about self belief and drive. You have to believe in yourself and if that gets knocked, you struggle.

Happens in all walks of life and professions, for football, at the professional level it’s played out in front of people. The former footballers I’ve worked with have all said that it’s much easier to deal with the higher up you go, mainly because there might be more folk but you can’t ‘see the’ was how they described it whereas BP or Edgely park or wherever on a cold Tuesday, you can see the person really hammering you.

I still think the increased sums of money and TV has created a monster in terms of fans giving players and managers stick. I’m not saying it’s the fault of sky or the premier league because it has always existed but it feels more so now.

We’re two weeks into the season and fans across the country are already on the backs of managers and players, it can’t be healthy, not just for the players but for the folk that are moaning.

They deal with this differently on the continent. Ultras groups and fan groups are vociferous and have huge influence but generally, they will support the side during the game. Their protestations usually fall before by way of protests or after (ignore Genoa v Siena a few years back).

There are occasions mass protests but they usually just refuse to sing or walk out, as Inter did a few years ago. I’ve stood on the Curva Sud at Hellas when they’ve been dreadful, of course the fans were angry and certainly frustrated and to each other they were moaning, but they supported the team throughout the match.

The players knew they’d been excrement, the fans did and the players knew the protests and frustration would come out. Perhaps more viciously than we’d see here but at least during the 90 minutes they supported their team.

We all get frustrated and moan but the way some supporters behave, it’s embarrassing…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
Rick12
August 13, 2023, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Professional sports people put effort in whether it’s training or a game situation. I’ve had the pleasure of attending training sessions for the likes of City and Liverpool and whilst we all know they don’t fly in to tackles, the intensity and desire to win was still there. It’s about self belief and drive. You have to believe in yourself and if that gets knocked, you struggle.

I haven't seen a top flight team train for a full day but have visited Arsenal's Colney training ground and have read about the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona training grounds. Facilities at these clubs and  I know Iam stating the obvious are a cut above the likes of Grimsby and other clubs in the lower basement.

I look at youngsters coming through the academy's ( having known some quite well and visited them in digs ) and youth teams in this country in lower league and feel there are more chances to go astray. There sometimes put up by fans where the environment isn't that great . Smoke filled houses and on their own as well . Compare that to the Barcelona's Masia youth academy where youth players are housed together and a strict timetable adhered to prepared by the club. So much time for leisure , football training and education housed in excellent facilities. It's little wonder why Barcelona have produced excellent players over the years that came from there .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
VinnyGTFC
August 13, 2023, 3:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from denni266
Its all down to Hurst at the end of the day. our not so new owners need to get their heads out the sand and tell him his job aint as safe as it could be / Because he is too comfy as he is .

So he hasn't done a decent job overall then?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Football,criticism and overcoming doubters.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.