TheultimateMariner
August 1, 2023, 4:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
How did Notts get so loaded, they've been league 2 stugglers for years (apart from their short stint in the NL obvs).

From my limited knowledge, they have owners who don’t mind spending cash, however I believe these are in the form of loans and they are over 10 million in debt.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I read their accounts that were published recently

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
Son of Cod
August 1, 2023, 5:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from It Bites
I got some new walking boots

Any good? Could do with a new pair myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Chalky
August 1, 2023, 6:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

From my limited knowledge, they have owners who don’t mind spending cash, however I believe these are in the form of loans and they are over 10 million in debt.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I read their accounts that were published recently

Notts owners are Danish brothers Christoffer and Alexander Reedz who own Football Radar,they've done a great job since they took over by slowly building the squad up and not just throwing money at it,don't believe in all that you read though as although they inherited significant debts they've reduced them greatly over the years,I was sceptical when they first arrived but they seem to be here for the haul and have improved the club greatly since they arrived

Don't believe all that you read,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Roast Em Bobby
August 1, 2023, 6:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
buckstown
August 2, 2023, 10:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Someone has invested a few quid on Town. Down to the mid twenties with skybet
10th is their prediction
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
diehardmariner
August 2, 2023, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I imagine the League Two market is largely driven by fans of clubs betting on their own sides.

Probably doesn't take much to move that dial even ever so slightly.  

Listened to the NotTheTop20 League Two predictions this morning, decent listen for anyone with a remote interest in this division.  

They're fairly unbiased and predicted Town to finish 10th with the rationale that we don't appear to have signed anyone with a hatful of goals in them and that we needed to shore up at the back from last season.  Countered this with noting that we had brought in some good signings in defence and with the addition of Conteh but in goal we're unproven.  Also a very good point that we're excrement at 0-0 and struggled to break sides down last season.  

I think it's a fair assessment, especially from the outside looking in.  Just outside the play-offs seems to be the majority assessment from a lot, which suits me just fine.  Very happy to go under the radar.

Said it before but I think we're going to really surprise people this season.  The players we've brought in going forward are all above movement, which plays into the hands of Hunt but we're also adding to that with Conteh who looks to be a magnet for opposition players.  He draws them in, drags them out of position and creates time and space for others.   It's an argument older than Father Time but if we brought in a proper poacher type it would likely be at the expense of someone who brings that movement to our attack.

The line-up against Lincoln, which I expect to be our XI for the start of the season, was a variation of 4-1-4-1.  Conteh as the midfield 1 and the 4 in front of him very high and fluid.  I really fancy that the majority of teams won't cope with that, even more so when we'll have our fullbacks pressing on.  

Expect lots and lots of nice triangles from the back, overlapping fullbacks, inverted wingers and midfielders going beyond the floating striker to good effect.  At this level the approach will result in mistakes, but I'm confident it'll produce far more success than not.

My only slight concern this season is depth with key players.  The squad looks to have plenty about it and cover in every position.  But there's certain things that we're going to be reliant on, such as Conteh acting as a lynchpin at the base of midfield.  If he's out, I don't see anyone doing that to the same level.  At centre-back, Maher and Rodgers are both very comfortable in possession and part of the approach looks to be playing out from deep, I'm not sure Waterfall does that job to the same level.  

Of course every team will struggle without key players.  Hopefully Hurst has a Plan B should/when it be needed.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
TheultimateMariner
August 2, 2023, 4:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Chalky

Notts owners are Danish brothers Christoffer and Alexander Reedz who own Football Radar,they've done a great job since they took over by slowly building the squad up and not just throwing money at it,don't believe in all that you read though as although they inherited significant debts they've reduced them greatly over the years,I was sceptical when they first arrived but they seem to be here for the haul and have improved the club greatly since they arrived

Don't believe all that you read,

Thanks for that Chalky. Thought I remembered seeing your accounts and reading that there were loans to be paid back to the owners. Perhaps that was another team.

I didn’t think you were absolutely chucking money at it, but just thought that they didn’t mind spending a bit of money if necessary
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Chalky
August 3, 2023, 10:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

Thanks for that Chalky. Thought I remembered seeing your accounts and reading that there were loans to be paid back to the owners. Perhaps that was another team.

I didn’t think you were absolutely chucking money at it, but just thought that they didn’t mind spending a bit of money if necessary

Football Radar looks at players who have prospect for the future for clubs throughout Europe so obviously  they will have a look at players for Notts,Langstaff cost £50,000 and was obviously a massive bargain and I’m surprised that he’s not moved on higher but maybe the Reedz brothers are likeable owners and thst played a part with him staying,he would have had an increase in pay but nothing stupid like Wrexham for instance would have paid,McGoldrick was a welcome surprise dropping down from Derby especially as they wanted him to stay and had put a decent offer on the table and by all accounts everyone expected him to accept,the fact that he supports Notts and had stated in the past that he would like to complete the circle and finish his career at the club that he started at helped immensely
I know the story of our accounts that you refer and it’s true that Notts owe money to the Reedz but it’s not as high as reported and the brothers have openly stated that there’s no time limit on the loan and it was for the good of the club that they own,I’m guessing that £3m would be nearer the mark but then again I’m not privy to there accountants books so take it with a punch of salt

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
vernontown
August 3, 2023, 11:55am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +93
Gold Stars: 8
Notts County's latest published accounts show the debt to the owners is £13m!  That's accounts published for year end June 2022. That will only have gone in one direction over the last year as well.

I have no knowledge about the guys that own them, but I would assume they are going to want their money back at some point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
toontown
August 3, 2023, 12:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Are the guys that own them massive notts fans and they're just throwing millions at them for sheer enjoyment - no? Then they're gonna want it back, either from a future buyer (ideal scenario for notts when in upper lg1 or championship) or from the club. Such enormous debts are inevitably enormously risky - ask Scunny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Anyone spent big

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.