HerveJosse
July 21, 2023, 8:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

Not really the thread for it, but since you raised the issue: a new stadium for Grimsby Town, of the size and standard I think fans would reasonably expect, would cost somewhere between £40m - £50m in the current economic climate. I 100% get the need for and benefit of a new stadium for a club in our position, and as a self-confessed stadium nerd would love nothing more, but can you just do me a favour please and break down how we raise that sort of money?

If you can answer the question sensibly, I imagine there's a job on the board waiting for you.

It’s always impossible but 40 plus teams have found a way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
kevikov
July 21, 2023, 8:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
“Port vale take the lead in the dying stages of the 3rd quarter”
Not a sentence I ever envisaged reading when looking for town match updates!

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
thefish
July 21, 2023, 8:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from kevikov
“Port vale take the lead in the dying stages of the 3rd quarter”
Not a sentence I ever envisaged reading when looking for town match updates!

Agreed… it’s embarrassing going behind against Port Vale!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
lobsterpot
July 21, 2023, 8:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
You can read into it what you want but I’m in Torrevieja and I’m smashed. Town were the better team and got the deserved equaliser when we got a free kick edge of box which was rolled to Even Khouri on the right hand side while Vale were setting up their wall. He took 1 touch to steady himself and slotted it home. Town fans steamed on the pitch when we scored and we all had a right laugh. Players after had a good laugh with us. Vale just slumped off and ignored their 50 fans. Town had about  200. We walked back with David Dunne on their coaching staff and he said they were shite. Another Vale scouser said they had no strikers and would be happy to stay up. All the town fans deserve praise for clearing up all the cans and bottles off the sidelines like Bradley pitches. Let’s hope we get another pre season tour next year.  The end UTM

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
ginnywings
July 21, 2023, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HerveJosse

Labour and materials costs have at least doubled since before lockdown. Then there are the interest rate rises and inflation currently at very high levels.

The new owners have it all to do to finance a new stadium in this climate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
toontown
July 21, 2023, 9:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HerveJosse

Yes but crucially they would have been able to take advantage of:
Much more buoyant bricks and mortar retail economics that helped to pay for the stadium - no longer an option for us
Dramatically lower construction costs compared to the current climate - prices for us are higher now
Old stadium residing in a high value area that could be sold and help pay for the club to move - never an option for us anyway

We've been left with a much harder task
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
Poojah
July 21, 2023, 9:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,611
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from HerveJosse

Again, wrong thread for it, and again, may I introduce you to the concept of hyper-inflation of construction industry commodities post-Covid and the wider global economic crisis.

[img]https://yieldpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/ConstructionCommodityPrice2205.jpg[/img]

In a nutshell, the same stadium that cost Rotherham £20m to build a decade ago costs you nearly £50m today, whilst the cost of borrowing has also recently risen steeply (besides, you can’t get an 80% mortgage on a football ground in Grimsby, for obvious reasons).

It’s not that it’s impossible, but it’s very difficult at the present time for clubs at our level to finance a new stadium, on a new plot, in one straight hit. Luton will now be able to do it, but only because they will make in excess of £100m from their promotion to the Premier League.

I live in hope that things will settle down financially and ease not only for aspirational football clubs but for society as a whole. For now though, comparisons can’t be drawn between stadiums that broke ground prior to 2020 and those we might want to build today. Regrettably, a lot has happened and a lot has changed in a very short space of time.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
HerveJosse
July 21, 2023, 9:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings

Labour and materials costs have at least doubled since before lockdown. Then there are the interest rate rises and inflation currently at very high levels.

The new owners have it all to do to finance a new stadium in this climate.

Yes and attendances ticket prices and tv revenue have gone up significantly as well .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
moosey_club
July 21, 2023, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Poojah

Again, wrong thread for it, and again, may I introduce you to the concept of hyper-inflation of construction industry commodities post-Covid and the wider global economic crisis.

[img]https://yieldpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/ConstructionCommodityPrice2205.jpg[/img]

In a nutshell, the same stadium that cost Rotherham £20m to build a decade ago costs you nearly £50m today, whilst the cost of borrowing has also recently risen steeply (besides, you can’t get an 80% mortgage on a football ground in Grimsby, for obvious reasons).

It’s not that it’s impossible, but it’s very difficult at the present time for clubs at our level to finance a new stadium, on a new plot, in one straight hit. Luton will now be able to do it, but only because they will make in excess of £100m from their promotion to the Premier League.

I live in hope that things will settle down financially and ease not only for aspirational football clubs but for society as a whole. For now though, comparisons can’t be drawn between stadiums that broke ground prior to 2020 and those we might want to build today. Regrettably, a lot has happened and a lot has changed in a very short space of time.  

Well if your only arguments are sound thinking, factual evidence and truth then I just can't take you seriously. Get yourself and your well rounded arguments off to Codalmighty where they love that kind of thing ... this is the Fishy. 😁

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
ginnywings
July 21, 2023, 10:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HerveJosse

Yes and attendances ticket prices and tv revenue have gone up significantly as well .

Not by the same amount. Nowhere near.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Port Vale game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.