This thread currently has 2,624 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 15, 2023, 5:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 199

Well the way he turned Shrewsbury around I'm tempted.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
July 15, 2023, 6:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,376
Gold Stars: 148
You say that asif he's having to turn an awful team around or something?
Last season was good. This season we've built on that.

But for what it is worth I've had an each way bet on us to win the league and got us in a lucky 15.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
wuffing
July 15, 2023, 6:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Done £20 @ 7-1 for promotion. Got a gooooooood feeling.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
thefish
July 15, 2023, 6:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from promotion plaice

You cannot beat pre-season optimism!

Why not lump on a League 2/ FA Cup double…?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
promotion plaice
July 15, 2023, 6:21pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 199
Quoted from lukeo
You say that asif he's having to turn an awful team around or something?
Last season was good. This season we've built on that.

But for what it is worth I've had an each way bet on us to win the league and got us in a lucky 15.

Just checking, you've boosted my confidence, putting my house and car on it Monday, in Hurst I trust.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
sonofmadeleymariner
July 15, 2023, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from promotion plaice

Normally do every season the only exceptions were in 2015 and 2021... maybe that's a sign

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
Heswall Mariner
July 15, 2023, 9:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +591
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from wuffing

Aw-where was that?
Done the same with Betfred at 6-1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Heswall Mariner
July 15, 2023, 10:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Approval: +591
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from wuffing

Aw - where was that from?

Done the same with Betfred at 6 -1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
wuffing
July 15, 2023, 10:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Aw - where was that from?

Done the same with Betfred at 6 -1.

Coral

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Blundellite
July 15, 2023, 10:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
There's still better teams than town although we will be better than last year
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
GrimRob
July 15, 2023, 10:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
When was the last time we got promoted from this division? 1990? 34 years ago. Although I think we've only been in it for about 11 seasons since then, of which we have been relegated twice and made the play-offs once.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 21
The Caterham Mariner
July 16, 2023, 8:31am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Bet on promotion not me , still watching from afar see how we  get on this season.
Saying that yesterday put a £5 to win on Crystal Mariner at Newmarket IF it came off was going to put it towards "Fishy" - Sponsor a player.
Well it was a Cleethorpes Donkey came last .
Thats why I work for a living!!
UTM 2023--24 and beyond!!

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
golfer
July 16, 2023, 8:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,444
Gold Stars: 116
There's a new bet where you pick what position  town will finish at 12/1. I've had 24 bets - crafty me - can't lose.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Roast Em Bobby
July 16, 2023, 8:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Unless we get another striker in I can't see that we are going to score enough goals to get automatic promotion. As things stand I reckon play-offs at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
TheultimateMariner
July 16, 2023, 10:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Unless we get another striker in I can't see that we are going to score enough goals to get automatic promotion. As things stand I reckon play-offs at best.

Here we go 😴😴

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
Grantham_Mariner
July 16, 2023, 11:01am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,191
Gold Stars: 51

Put your bet on now, because the odds will drop if we do get another striker. But do not bet more than you can afford.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
fishboyUTM
July 16, 2023, 11:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Only friendlies I know, but I didn't see a target man / focal point yesterday. I suppose that's the injured Pyke? Need another option there IMO as it's a vital position in a 433 which I expect us to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Roast Em Bobby
July 16, 2023, 11:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
I know this will go down like a lead balloon, and I really hope I'm wrong, but Rose aside I'm not that confident about our current attacking options. Putting pre-season optimism to one side, and being objective about it:

Vernam & Khan - good on their day, but both have a tendency to drift out of a lot of games
Pyke - Hasn't been played as a striker for a few years
Donavon - 3 goals last season
Eisa - Don't know that much about him, but again no real pedigree for scoring a lot of goals

Rose is the only one with any pedigree, and even he's not renowned for scoring loads.

Not meaning to be miserable about it, and as I say I really hope I'm wrong, just struggling to imagine us scoring enough goals to be automatic promotion hopefulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
BrMarin
July 16, 2023, 11:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
I would feel more confident if we had signed a proven goalkeeper. Not too concerned about goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
CSLM
July 16, 2023, 12:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
I know this will go down like a lead balloon, and I really hope I'm wrong, but Rose aside I'm not that confident about our current attacking options. Putting pre-season optimism to one side, and being objective about it:

Vernam & Khan - good on their day, but both have a tendency to drift out of a lot of games
Pyke - Hasn't been played as a striker for a few years
Donavon - 3 goals last season
Eisa - Don't know that much about him, but again no real pedigree for scoring a lot of goals

Rose is the only one with any pedigree, and even he's not renowned for scoring loads.

Not meaning to be miserable about it, and as I say I really hope I'm wrong, just struggling to imagine us scoring enough goals to be automatic promotion hopefulls.

I do agree with that in general.

Only thing I would say is that I think Vernam will cause teams a lot of problems.
He wasn't massively in the game yesterday but there were a few times he showed some real quality, definitely better than what we had last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
ginnywings
July 16, 2023, 1:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
The game has changed in that a lot of teams do well without an out and out goalscorer.

Of course there are teams that have them; Cook at Bradford being a good example, but they are still in league 2 with us, so ultimately he didn't fire them to promotion.

I don't know the totals of the forwards from the promoted teams but I reckon one or two of them probably did it with goals shared around the team, rather than having someone prolific in their ranks.

There's more than one way to get promoted and you don't need massive amounts of goals, especially if you keep them out at the other end.

Prolific strikers are rare at our level, and they tend to be at the clubs who pay the biggest wages, or they get head hunted by teams higher up the divisions.

I think we have enough players capable of chipping in a few each to get a decent total of goals scored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
July 16, 2023, 1:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
The game has changed in that a lot of teams do well without an out and out goalscorer.

Of course there are teams that have them; Cook at Bradford being a good example, but they are still in league 2 with us, so ultimately he didn't fire them to promotion.

I don't know the totals of the forwards from the promoted teams but I reckon one or two of them probably did it with goals shared around the team, rather than having someone prolific in their ranks.

There's more than one way to get promoted and you don't need massive amounts of goals, especially if you keep them out at the other end.

Prolific strikers are rare at our level, and they tend to be at the clubs who pay the biggest wages, or they get head hunted by teams higher up the divisions.

I think we have enough players capable of chipping in a few each to get a decent total of goals scored.

I recently posted the details of two leagues which were won by the team scoring the fewest number of goals, so you're right about that.

"Offense wins matches, defence wins leagues" is a common saying in American football (i.e. not 'soccer') and there's plenty of truth
in it.

It's easy to overlook that Manchester City - who scored plenty to win the Premier League last season - also conceded the fewest
number of goals (jointly with Newcastle).

Like you, I think we'll do ok scoring-wise...and there's always the possibility that a striker with a moderate scoring record will have
a monster season with us - it's happened before. (Donovan Wilson, perhaps?)

UTM
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone fancy a bet on Town for promotion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.