Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 15, 2023, 5:59pm

Well the way he turned Shrewsbury around I'm tempted.

Posted by: lukeo, July 15, 2023, 6:15pm; Reply: 1
You say that asif he's having to turn an awful team around or something?
Last season was good. This season we've built on that.

But for what it is worth I've had an each way bet on us to win the league and got us in a lucky 15.
Posted by: wuffing, July 15, 2023, 6:18pm; Reply: 2
Done £20 @ 7-1 for promotion. Got a gooooooood feeling.
Posted by: thefish, July 15, 2023, 6:19pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from promotion plaice

You cannot beat pre-season optimism!

Why not lump on a League 2/ FA Cup double…?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 15, 2023, 6:21pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from lukeo
You say that asif he's having to turn an awful team around or something?
Last season was good. This season we've built on that.

But for what it is worth I've had an each way bet on us to win the league and got us in a lucky 15.

Just checking, you've boosted my confidence, putting my house and car on it Monday, in Hurst I trust.

Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, July 15, 2023, 7:51pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

Normally do every season the only exceptions were in 2015 and 2021... maybe that's a sign
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 15, 2023, 9:48pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from wuffing

Aw-where was that?
Done the same with Betfred at 6-1.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 15, 2023, 10:01pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from wuffing

Aw - where was that from?

Done the same with Betfred at 6 -1.
Posted by: wuffing, July 15, 2023, 10:04pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Aw - where was that from?

Done the same with Betfred at 6 -1.

Coral
Posted by: Blundellite, July 15, 2023, 10:30pm; Reply: 9
There's still better teams than town although we will be better than last year
Posted by: GrimRob, July 15, 2023, 10:31pm; Reply: 10
When was the last time we got promoted from this division? 1990? 34 years ago. Although I think we've only been in it for about 11 seasons since then, of which we have been relegated twice and made the play-offs once.
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, July 16, 2023, 8:31am; Reply: 11
Bet on promotion not me , still watching from afar see how we  get on this season.
Saying that yesterday put a £5 to win on Crystal Mariner at Newmarket IF it came off was going to put it towards "Fishy" - Sponsor a player.
Well it was a Cleethorpes Donkey came last .
Thats why I work for a living!!
UTM 2023--24 and beyond!!
Posted by: golfer, July 16, 2023, 8:41am; Reply: 12
There's a new bet where you pick what position  town will finish at 12/1. I've had 24 bets - crafty me - can't lose.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 16, 2023, 8:55am; Reply: 13
Unless we get another striker in I can't see that we are going to score enough goals to get automatic promotion. As things stand I reckon play-offs at best.
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, July 16, 2023, 10:04am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Unless we get another striker in I can't see that we are going to score enough goals to get automatic promotion. As things stand I reckon play-offs at best.

Here we go 😴😴

Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 16, 2023, 11:01am; Reply: 15

Put your bet on now, because the odds will drop if we do get another striker. But do not bet more than you can afford.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 16, 2023, 11:07am; Reply: 16
Only friendlies I know, but I didn't see a target man / focal point yesterday. I suppose that's the injured Pyke? Need another option there IMO as it's a vital position in a 433 which I expect us to play.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 16, 2023, 11:37am; Reply: 17
I know this will go down like a lead balloon, and I really hope I'm wrong, but Rose aside I'm not that confident about our current attacking options. Putting pre-season optimism to one side, and being objective about it:

Vernam & Khan - good on their day, but both have a tendency to drift out of a lot of games
Pyke - Hasn't been played as a striker for a few years
Donavon - 3 goals last season
Eisa - Don't know that much about him, but again no real pedigree for scoring a lot of goals

Rose is the only one with any pedigree, and even he's not renowned for scoring loads.

Not meaning to be miserable about it, and as I say I really hope I'm wrong, just struggling to imagine us scoring enough goals to be automatic promotion hopefulls.
Posted by: BrMarin, July 16, 2023, 11:56am; Reply: 18
I would feel more confident if we had signed a proven goalkeeper. Not too concerned about goals.
Posted by: CSLM, July 16, 2023, 12:28pm; Reply: 19
I know this will go down like a lead balloon, and I really hope I'm wrong, but Rose aside I'm not that confident about our current attacking options. Putting pre-season optimism to one side, and being objective about it:

Vernam & Khan - good on their day, but both have a tendency to drift out of a lot of games
Pyke - Hasn't been played as a striker for a few years
Donavon - 3 goals last season
Eisa - Don't know that much about him, but again no real pedigree for scoring a lot of goals

Rose is the only one with any pedigree, and even he's not renowned for scoring loads.

Not meaning to be miserable about it, and as I say I really hope I'm wrong, just struggling to imagine us scoring enough goals to be automatic promotion hopefulls.

I do agree with that in general.

Only thing I would say is that I think Vernam will cause teams a lot of problems.
He wasn't massively in the game yesterday but there were a few times he showed some real quality, definitely better than what we had last season.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 16, 2023, 1:21pm; Reply: 20
The game has changed in that a lot of teams do well without an out and out goalscorer.

Of course there are teams that have them; Cook at Bradford being a good example, but they are still in league 2 with us, so ultimately he didn't fire them to promotion.

I don't know the totals of the forwards from the promoted teams but I reckon one or two of them probably did it with goals shared around the team, rather than having someone prolific in their ranks.

There's more than one way to get promoted and you don't need massive amounts of goals, especially if you keep them out at the other end.

Prolific strikers are rare at our level, and they tend to be at the clubs who pay the biggest wages, or they get head hunted by teams higher up the divisions.

I think we have enough players capable of chipping in a few each to get a decent total of goals scored.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), July 16, 2023, 1:55pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings
The game has changed in that a lot of teams do well without an out and out goalscorer.

Of course there are teams that have them; Cook at Bradford being a good example, but they are still in league 2 with us, so ultimately he didn't fire them to promotion.

I don't know the totals of the forwards from the promoted teams but I reckon one or two of them probably did it with goals shared around the team, rather than having someone prolific in their ranks.

There's more than one way to get promoted and you don't need massive amounts of goals, especially if you keep them out at the other end.

Prolific strikers are rare at our level, and they tend to be at the clubs who pay the biggest wages, or they get head hunted by teams higher up the divisions.

I think we have enough players capable of chipping in a few each to get a decent total of goals scored.

I recently posted the details of two leagues which were won by the team scoring the fewest number of goals, so you're right about that.

"Offense wins matches, defence wins leagues" is a common saying in American football (i.e. not 'soccer') and there's plenty of truth
in it.

It's easy to overlook that Manchester City - who scored plenty to win the Premier League last season - also conceded the fewest
number of goals (jointly with Newcastle).

Like you, I think we'll do ok scoring-wise...and there's always the possibility that a striker with a moderate scoring record will have
a monster season with us - it's happened before. (Donovan Wilson, perhaps?)

UTM
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 4:56am