Chalky
July 9, 2023, 10:55am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from ginnywings
More offended that you said we are in Yorkshire.

That's my point, Grimsby is in Yorkshire to the uneducated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
Chalky
July 9, 2023, 10:56am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from pizzzza

Chalky takes his shot at the World "Most Red Crosses on The Fishy" Record.

The genuinely laughed out at that,a gold star is on its way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
Mappers
July 9, 2023, 10:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
We just need Mr David to come on and call us all 'vermin' like he did the Iron Bru lot and he would do the red cross record .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
July 9, 2023, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Chalky

Maybe it's because Grimsby doesn't sound so erm...nice?
I'm not having a pop here honest I always thought that it was aimed at the town rather than the football club especially those who didn't know that you play in Cleethorpes,Grimsby just sounds grim I suppose,it's that place in Yorkshire that has all of the trawlers to some

(Puts on tin hat and ducks)

You have actually hit the nail on the head. In these bizarre times how something is perceived is far more important than reality.

Grim in the name is our downfall for some people and they simply won't look past it.

I don't remember this in decades gone by, we were always respected as a hard working town with the appeal of being the first name associated with the world famous fishing industry.

Luckily for us the owners believe in Grimsby and I would expect both the club and the town to have a better future.

It's a shame for us the way in to the ground goes through a more deprived area of the town which gives a false impression.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
Nelly GTFC
July 9, 2023, 12:32pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner
Seems like our recent Play-off campaign and FA Cup run hasn’t gained us much respect in some L2 quarters. This is the Newport manager’s comments following his club captains decision not to re-sign for them:

“But look, we're not competitive enough and that comes from the financial side of the league, we just can't hold on to these type of guys and the annoying part on my side is we're losing players to clubs like Harrogate, Oldham, I'm losing players to the likes of Grimsby.”
Well that's football twit of the week sorted for next week.

Could well be our next signing, played under Hurst at Shrewsbury, plugs in with a few goals most seasons >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66139349

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
GtfcGarner
July 9, 2023, 12:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
I think the comment is based upon winning a transfer target over them and them not being able to financially match us. Only way you could see Demetriou coming in was if Glennon rumours was true and he was to depart or if Amos has a move sorted somewhere, I think we are well stocked in centre-backs and left backs in the squad however El General might use a seasons loan from a Prem club to give him the extra option. By all means sounds like a good-pro and from the slight memories I have of him he's just a solid L2 player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
forza ivano
July 9, 2023, 12:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,205
Gold Stars: 265
think people are adding 2+2 and getting 5. Think he was talking about transfer targets in general, rather than any Newport player in particular.
btw Demetriou is rumoured to be going to Swindon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
Davec
July 9, 2023, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
I don't think Demetriou played for Shrewsbury under Hurst, I think he left Shrewsbury a few months before Hurst was named their manager?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
aldi_01
July 10, 2023, 6:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

You have actually hit the nail on the head. In these bizarre times how something is perceived is far more important than reality.

Grim in the name is our downfall for some people and they simply won't look past it.

I don't remember this in decades gone by, we were always respected as a hard working town with the appeal of being the first name associated with the world famous fishing industry.

Luckily for us the owners believe in Grimsby and I would expect both the club and the town to have a better future.

It's a shame for us the way in to the ground goes through a more deprived area of the town which gives a false impression.

If people judge a town based on the placement of its football ground then practically everywhere they visit must be a shithole…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 7:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from aldi_01

If people judge a town based on the placement of its football ground then practically everywhere they visit must be a shithole…

Or easily mistaken for a flat pack Ikea store.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › “The likes of Grimsby”

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.