Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, July 8, 2023, 1:01pm
Seems like our recent Play-off campaign and FA Cup run hasn’t gained us much respect in some L2 quarters. This is the Newport manager’s comments following his club captains decision not to re-sign for them:

“But look, we're not competitive enough and that comes from the financial side of the league, we just can't hold on to these type of guys and the annoying part on my side is we're losing players to clubs like Harrogate, Oldham, I'm losing players to the likes of Grimsby.”
Posted by: coddy60, July 8, 2023, 1:16pm; Reply: 1
Someone's in for a rude awakening this season I think
Posted by: tarka, July 8, 2023, 1:26pm; Reply: 2
There is a certain irony and lack of self awareness when someone from Newport talks about "the likes of Grimsby"!
Posted by: bawarmy, July 8, 2023, 1:39pm; Reply: 3
The likes of last seasons FA cup quarter finalists Grimsby.
Posted by: chaos33, July 8, 2023, 2:43pm; Reply: 4
Bitter.
Posted by: tashee69, July 8, 2023, 2:59pm; Reply: 5
I’ve seen many promotions and too many relegations. To me, I’m used to us being a Div 2 (now Championship) team. For 16-17 seasons we’ve been a team that’s either been struggling in the league or a team close to getting out of non league. A whole generation see us as an entirely different club.
Why Newport are getting on the “likes of Grimsby” though is quite beyond me.
Posted by: immariner, July 8, 2023, 3:10pm; Reply: 6
Our attendances last season were 50% larger than theirs and bar a couple of seasons we've spent virtually our entire history above them and a few at the same level. They also signed essentially the only 1 of our regular players from last season not to be offered a new contract this summer. Funny guy
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 8, 2023, 3:15pm; Reply: 7
If he has said without a hint of irony, then I really fear for his sanity.

A professional in the game knows we are usually higher in the pyramid than currently, and we have a proud history and tradition,  and if we compare the two clubs it is like chalk and cheese. I can understand a current generation of fans being dismissive because they've only seen us struggle.

If Newport the place was like St Tropez then he might have a slight case, but Newport?!
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 8, 2023, 3:27pm; Reply: 8
We have a rich history of this sort of thing. When we were a Championship club, the commentators classic cliche for the the clubs battling to stay up in the Premier League was always 'You don't want to find yourself relegated with a wet midweek fixture against Grimsby to look forward to.'

GTFC, bunging up the works since 1878. 😎
Posted by: Simon, July 8, 2023, 4:22pm; Reply: 9
Always better to be the underdog

Don't worry if others put you down just go out there and give it everything to make them eat their words at some point in the future
Posted by: aldi_01, July 8, 2023, 5:20pm; Reply: 10
I mean, he does realise he’s at Newport? A team that essentially found its way into the league because of a local lottery winner who thought it wise to Spaff his cash on a football club?

Such a weird thing to say…
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 8, 2023, 5:47pm; Reply: 11
He’s most likely started sniffing glue
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, July 8, 2023, 7:11pm; Reply: 12
Ooh this sort of thing makes me so angry I could ....

I could ....

Dismantle a flag.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, July 9, 2023, 9:28am; Reply: 13
Such a strange comment - especially as Newport's best runs included ex-Grimsby strikers Padraig Amond and Jamille Matt. I suspect a degree of jealousy regarding Town's recent upturn.  
Posted by: moosey_club, July 9, 2023, 9:45am; Reply: 14
So who is it that we have got that he lost out on ?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 9, 2023, 10:00am; Reply: 15
Don`t get mad. Get even.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 9, 2023, 10:21am; Reply: 16
Is it just me but I think his comments refer to us out bidding them for a player they wanted to sign, and not us bidding for one of their players? I may be wrong, so we will have to wait and see.
Posted by: Chalky, July 9, 2023, 10:39am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
'You don't want to find yourself relegated with a wet midweek fixture against Grimsby to look forward to.'

GTFC, bunging up the works since 1878. 😎

Maybe it's because Grimsby doesn't sound so erm...nice?
I'm not having a pop here honest I always thought that it was aimed at the town rather than the football club especially those who didn't know that you play in Cleethorpes,Grimsby just sounds grim I suppose,it's that place in Yorkshire that has all of the trawlers to some

(Puts on tin hat and ducks)
Posted by: ginnywings, July 9, 2023, 10:45am; Reply: 18
More offended that you said we are in Yorkshire.
Posted by: pizzzza, July 9, 2023, 10:47am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Chalky

I'm not having a pop here honest I always thought that it was aimed at the town rather than the football club especially those who didn't know that you play in Cleethorpes,Grimsby just sounds grim I suppose,it's that place in Yorkshire that has all of the trawlers to some

Chalky takes his shot at the World "Most Red Crosses on The Fishy" Record.
Posted by: Chalky, July 9, 2023, 10:55am; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings
More offended that you said we are in Yorkshire.

That's my point, Grimsby is in Yorkshire to the uneducated
Posted by: Chalky, July 9, 2023, 10:56am; Reply: 21
Quoted from pizzzza

Chalky takes his shot at the World "Most Red Crosses on The Fishy" Record.

The genuinely laughed out at that,a gold star is on its way
Posted by: Mappers, July 9, 2023, 10:57am; Reply: 22
We just need Mr David to come on and call us all 'vermin' like he did the Iron Bru lot and he would do the red cross record .
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 9, 2023, 12:31pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Chalky

You have actually hit the nail on the head. In these bizarre times how something is perceived is far more important than reality.

Grim in the name is our downfall for some people and they simply won't look past it.

I don't remember this in decades gone by, we were always respected as a hard working town with the appeal of being the first name associated with the world famous fishing industry.

Luckily for us the owners believe in Grimsby and I would expect both the club and the town to have a better future.

It's a shame for us the way in to the ground goes through a more deprived area of the town which gives a false impression.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 9, 2023, 12:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner
Seems like our recent Play-off campaign and FA Cup run hasn’t gained us much respect in some L2 quarters. This is the Newport manager’s comments following his club captains decision not to re-sign for them:

“But look, we're not competitive enough and that comes from the financial side of the league, we just can't hold on to these type of guys and the annoying part on my side is we're losing players to clubs like Harrogate, Oldham, I'm losing players to the likes of Grimsby.”
Well that's football twit of the week sorted for next week.

Could well be our next signing, played under Hurst at Shrewsbury, plugs in with a few goals most seasons >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66139349
Posted by: GtfcGarner, July 9, 2023, 12:36pm; Reply: 25
I think the comment is based upon winning a transfer target over them and them not being able to financially match us. Only way you could see Demetriou coming in was if Glennon rumours was true and he was to depart or if Amos has a move sorted somewhere, I think we are well stocked in centre-backs and left backs in the squad however El General might use a seasons loan from a Prem club to give him the extra option. By all means sounds like a good-pro and from the slight memories I have of him he's just a solid L2 player.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 9, 2023, 12:45pm; Reply: 26
think people are adding 2+2 and getting 5. Think he was talking about transfer targets in general, rather than any Newport player in particular.
btw Demetriou is rumoured to be going to Swindon
Posted by: Davec, July 9, 2023, 1:12pm; Reply: 27
I don't think Demetriou played for Shrewsbury under Hurst, I think he left Shrewsbury a few months before Hurst was named their manager?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 10, 2023, 6:51am; Reply: 28

You have actually hit the nail on the head. In these bizarre times how something is perceived is far more important than reality.

Grim in the name is our downfall for some people and they simply won't look past it.

I don't remember this in decades gone by, we were always respected as a hard working town with the appeal of being the first name associated with the world famous fishing industry.

Luckily for us the owners believe in Grimsby and I would expect both the club and the town to have a better future.

It's a shame for us the way in to the ground goes through a more deprived area of the town which gives a false impression.

If people judge a town based on the placement of its football ground then practically everywhere they visit must be a shithole…
Posted by: Mappers, July 10, 2023, 7:33am; Reply: 29
Quoted from aldi_01

If people judge a town based on the placement of its football ground then practically everywhere they visit must be a shithole…

Or easily mistaken for a flat pack Ikea store.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, July 10, 2023, 8:59am; Reply: 30
I think he needs to read up on the Grimsby Reaper and reflect on his hubris before the season starts.  Peak irony being in Gwent and denigrating other areas - clearly he can't remember needing a rowing boat to get across rodney parade before the WRU bailed out dragons and spaffed £800k on a new pitch for them.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 14, 2023, 2:11pm; Reply: 31
And heres the reason he is so bitter

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/07/14/robust-action-taken-as-newport-county-reveal-financial-loss/
Posted by: Mappers, July 14, 2023, 2:31pm; Reply: 32

The danger of having a fan owned club with no investment and small crowds ,now they have to balance the books .

He will be working miracles if he can keep them a FL club for the next few years.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 5:41pm