2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
July 4, 2023, 5:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
I'm a big Clifton fan but I said earlier this year that I could 22/23 as his final season with us, that's part of his and our development.  I also think Khouri really steps into his shoes and goes onto be better.  Again, that's part of our development. Every time someone leaves (be it our or their choice), it's about making sure that the next version is better.

this post got me thinking - obviously all the under 18s were released in May, so has there been any news on who has come in or progressed to make up this year's squad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
July 4, 2023, 5:56pm
Guest User
I think I saw a post somewhere that said none of them were up to scratch for a pro contract.  Could be wrong tho.........
Reply: 1 - 15
Northbank Mariner
July 4, 2023, 6:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
No academy players were offered terms, not sure if ots the first time I've known it happen tbh, but obviously Hurst deemed none of them good enough or even potentially a good enough prospect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
immariner
July 4, 2023, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from forza ivano
I'm a big Clifton fan but I said earlier this year that I could 22/23 as his final season with us, that's part of his and our development.  I also think Khouri really steps into his shoes and goes onto be better.  Again, that's part of our development. Every time someone leaves (be it our or their choice), it's about making sure that the next version is better.

this post got me thinking - obviously all the under 18s were released in May, so has there been any news on who has come in or progressed to make up this year's squad?

The second year YTs would have all been released, the first year YTs are now the second year YTs and some will have been promoted from the U16s to be first year YTs, probably supplemented with a few released from other clubs. That's how I understand it to work but could be completely wrong

I think the club has done a feature once or twice about who has moved up from the U16s but I don't think it's a given. There'll probably be some on here who know lads offered YT terms
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
forza ivano
July 4, 2023, 6:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from immariner

The second year YTs would have all been released, the first year YTs are now the second year YTs and some will have been promoted from the U16s to be first year YTs, probably supplemented with a few released from other clubs. That's how I understand it to work but could be completely wrong

I think the club has done a feature once or twice about who has moved up from the U16s but I don't think it's a given. There'll probably be some on here who know lads offered YT terms

that was what I was trying to get at; who's come up ( to become the new Clifton) and who's been brought in (to become the new Khouri!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Rick12
July 4, 2023, 7:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Can't be easy for the youngsters getting released but pleased Neil Woods is in charge of the academy. Good fella who will help ease the pain of rejection. Rejection can be heart wrenching and I've read it's one of the hardest things a manager has to do especially if the lad has the spirit for the professional game but not the ability.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Tommy
July 4, 2023, 8:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
The number of u16s from the GTFC Academy offered a YT was higher than usual - seven. And they will be 1st year YT's this season. Unsure if any u17s from elsewhere have been recruited or not, but taking 7 of our own on certainly lessens the need to do so.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
diehardmariner
July 5, 2023, 3:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Fully agree regards Khouri, despite the packed options in there I think he still emerges as a genuine asset over the next 12 months.

I suppose the trajectory lines point to either young Bramwell, Braithwaite, Tomlinson or Essel as the next to pick up the mantle of promising talent.

Bramwell and Braithwaite arguably at at disadvantage because of numbers ahead of them in central defence and central midfield respectively.  Essel and Tomlinson have got less competition up top (at the minute) and wouldn't be surprised to see them get chances out wide to start with, probably coming on in games.

Our transfer policy this summer looks more progressive and with long-term thinking behind it, so I hope that's mirrored in the time we give to our own home-grown talent.  It appears we're not going to have loads of young Academy loanees sitting on the bench so hopefully our young professionals will get a bit of game time.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
sam gy
July 5, 2023, 3:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Bramwell seems to have really filled out and looks older/grown up. Was the only one that got a run out yesterday too, hows he looking? have never seen him play before..

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Chrisblor
July 5, 2023, 4:18pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,856
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from sam gy
Bramwell seems to have really filled out and looks older/grown up. Was the only one that got a run out yesterday too, hows he looking? have never seen him play before..

Saw him play at Eastleigh at the end of the 2021-22 season (game before the playoffs where we rested most of our regular starters and Mani scored a hat-trick). Even though it ended 4-4 I actually thought Bramwell looked pretty impressive at CB and was relatively solid and composed for a young player making his league debut. Don't think any of the 4 goals we conceded were directly his fault (Ollie Battersby was in goal and had a bit of a mare)

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › This season's Yoof intake

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.