2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
May 19, 2023, 2:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,181
Gold Stars: 79
I played golf with a Southend fan yesterday and spent 4 hours talking mainly about dodgy football club owners.
I mentioned that they were in the high court on Wednesday and he announced that he'd been to the hearing. Turns out that Wednesday was their 18th winding up hearing and although HMRC were the main sponsor, a couple of other companies jumped on the bandwagon, one of whom were the club sponsor. He described the court as more of a room full of barristers and the court had one hour allocated to deal with 50 cases, most of which took 30 seconds. In a typical case, barrister stands up states this company owes £220k haven't answered any letters for 18 months and the judge says "granted, next case"
He reckons there are a tangled web of 14 companies involved in or linked to the ownership of Southend Utd and Roots Hall, but all roads lead back to a guy called Ron Martin, a property developer. Seems a lot of people are lined up to make money when Roots Hall is redeveloped for housing but the saving grace is a covenant which specifically states that this can't happen until a new ground is built
Seems our Ron is actually a Southend fan who has bankrolled the club but wants his money back through future property opportunities. Any bells ringing??
I know we have things to gripe about occasionally, but I can't believe how lucky we were to be taken over by the current owners and escape the national league at the first attempt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
May 19, 2023, 2:44pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,715
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from buckstown
I played golf with a Southend fan yesterday and spent 4 hours talking mainly about dodgy football club owners.
I mentioned that they were in the high court on Wednesday and he announced that he'd been to the hearing. Turns out that Wednesday was their 18th winding up hearing and although HMRC were the main sponsor, a couple of other companies jumped on the bandwagon, one of whom were the club sponsor. He described the court as more of a room full of barristers and the court had one hour allocated to deal with 50 cases, most of which took 30 seconds. In a typical case, barrister stands up states this company owes £220k haven't answered any letters for 18 months and the judge says "granted, next case"
He reckons there are a tangled web of 14 companies involved in or linked to the ownership of Southend Utd and Roots Hall, but all roads lead back to a guy called Ron Martin, a property developer. Seems a lot of people are lined up to make money when Roots Hall is redeveloped for housing but the saving grace is a covenant which specifically states that this can't happen until a new ground is built
Seems our Ron is actually a Southend fan who has bankrolled the club but wants his money back through future property opportunities. Any bells ringing??
I know we have things to gripe about occasionally, but I can't believe how lucky we were to be taken over by the current owners and escape the national league at the first attempt

Even Scunny did that this season though!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
denni266
May 19, 2023, 4:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Les Brechin

Even Scunny did that this season though!  

Ha  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 19, 2023, 5:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,305
Gold Stars: 307
The court was "a room full of barristers" - what was he expecting, a mix of brickies, crystal shop owners and a smattering of lion tamers?!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
HerveJosse
May 19, 2023, 9:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
The court was "a room full of barristers" - what was he expecting, a mix of brickies, crystal shop owners and a smattering of lion tamers?!

Most mornings I just see a room full of baristas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
GollyGTFC
May 20, 2023, 7:44am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,026
Gold Stars: 357
Kieran Maguire hinted at positive news for Southend fans that couldn’t reveal on this weeks Price of Football news podcast. Given his opinion of Ron Martin it can only point to his exit from Southend.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 10
coddy60
May 20, 2023, 8:34am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from buckstown

4 hours, that's a slow round...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
GYinScuntland
May 20, 2023, 11:48am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,250
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from coddy60

4 hours, that's a slow round...

Waste of a good walk too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
coddy60
May 20, 2023, 12:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Waste of a good walk too.

Heathen!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 20, 2023, 2:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,862
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from coddy60

Heathen!

That’s rough

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Southend Utd

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.