Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: buckstown, May 19, 2023, 2:35pm
I played golf with a Southend fan yesterday and spent 4 hours talking mainly about dodgy football club owners.
I mentioned that they were in the high court on Wednesday and he announced that he'd been to the hearing. Turns out that Wednesday was their 18th winding up hearing and although HMRC were the main sponsor, a couple of other companies jumped on the bandwagon, one of whom were the club sponsor. He described the court as more of a room full of barristers and the court had one hour allocated to deal with 50 cases, most of which took 30 seconds. In a typical case, barrister stands up states this company owes £220k haven't answered any letters for 18 months and the judge says "granted, next case"
He reckons there are a tangled web of 14 companies involved in or linked to the ownership of Southend Utd and Roots Hall, but all roads lead back to a guy called Ron Martin, a property developer. Seems a lot of people are lined up to make money when Roots Hall is redeveloped for housing but the saving grace is a covenant which specifically states that this can't happen until a new ground is built
Seems our Ron is actually a Southend fan who has bankrolled the club but wants his money back through future property opportunities. Any bells ringing??
I know we have things to gripe about occasionally, but I can't believe how lucky we were to be taken over by the current owners and escape the national league at the first attempt
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 19, 2023, 2:44pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from buckstown
I played golf with a Southend fan yesterday and spent 4 hours talking mainly about dodgy football club owners.
I mentioned that they were in the high court on Wednesday and he announced that he'd been to the hearing. Turns out that Wednesday was their 18th winding up hearing and although HMRC were the main sponsor, a couple of other companies jumped on the bandwagon, one of whom were the club sponsor. He described the court as more of a room full of barristers and the court had one hour allocated to deal with 50 cases, most of which took 30 seconds. In a typical case, barrister stands up states this company owes £220k haven't answered any letters for 18 months and the judge says "granted, next case"
He reckons there are a tangled web of 14 companies involved in or linked to the ownership of Southend Utd and Roots Hall, but all roads lead back to a guy called Ron Martin, a property developer. Seems a lot of people are lined up to make money when Roots Hall is redeveloped for housing but the saving grace is a covenant which specifically states that this can't happen until a new ground is built
Seems our Ron is actually a Southend fan who has bankrolled the club but wants his money back through future property opportunities. Any bells ringing??
I know we have things to gripe about occasionally, but I can't believe how lucky we were to be taken over by the current owners and escape the national league at the first attempt

Even Scunny did that this season though!  ;D
Posted by: denni266, May 19, 2023, 4:22pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Les Brechin

Even Scunny did that this season though!  ;D

Ha   ;D
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 19, 2023, 5:59pm; Reply: 3
The court was "a room full of barristers" - what was he expecting, a mix of brickies, crystal shop owners and a smattering of lion tamers?!

;)
Posted by: HerveJosse, May 19, 2023, 9:53pm; Reply: 4
The court was "a room full of barristers" - what was he expecting, a mix of brickies, crystal shop owners and a smattering of lion tamers?!

;)

Most mornings I just see a room full of baristas
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 20, 2023, 7:44am; Reply: 5
Kieran Maguire hinted at positive news for Southend fans that couldn’t reveal on this weeks Price of Football news podcast. Given his opinion of Ron Martin it can only point to his exit from Southend.
Posted by: coddy60, May 20, 2023, 8:34am; Reply: 6
Quoted from buckstown

4 hours, that's a slow round...
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 20, 2023, 11:48am; Reply: 7
Quoted from coddy60

4 hours, that's a slow round...

Waste of a good walk too.
Posted by: coddy60, May 20, 2023, 12:04pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Waste of a good walk too.

Heathen!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 20, 2023, 2:18pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from coddy60

Heathen!