3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
May 13, 2023, 9:02am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,358
Gold Stars: 66
We talk about the lack of atmosphere at bp and having just watched the Fulham semi final highlights ( some say the best atmosphere ever ) and noticed we no longer have the horn d d ddd dddd GRIMSBY there nothing like a good horn to get the crowd going
Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
May 13, 2023, 9:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,715
Gold Stars: 850
That one just before our goal was me aged 10. Remember my dad borrowed it from work & I tried to test it out in his van going up Scartho Road on the way to the match.

Might bring it back this season.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
aldi_01
May 13, 2023, 9:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ska face
That one just before our goal was me aged 10. Remember my dad borrowed it from work & I tried to test it out in his van going up Scartho Road on the way to the match.

I took one to Braintree…and Gateshead but they were quickly thrown…think we’ve talked about the Fulham one before…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
RonMariner
May 13, 2023, 10:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,766
Gold Stars: 226
I took one to the 2016 play off final and the confiscated it as I went through the turnstile. Well they said I could take the plastic horn bit in, but not the can that went with it. As if I could blow the sodding thing. They said I might throw the can at somebody. Really?

I'd paid £4.99 for it the day before. As they wouldn't let me take it in I said that I would use it up to get my moneys worth. So I stood there and blew it continually for about a minute or so before I was told to stop it or get ejected. So I had to give it to them.

Just jobsworths using their 'power'.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
crusty ole pie
May 13, 2023, 10:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Brilliant timing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
crusty ole pie
May 13, 2023, 10:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Have you still got that actual horn ? If so it needs to go in a glass cabinet in the trust bar lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
It Bites
May 13, 2023, 11:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,238
Gold Stars: 265
The atmosphere is crap because the away support is generally crap and the football ain't great . It's still division 4 how ever you dress it up . Grimsby and Fulham were both great teams and we were the underdogs and it was the second leg .
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 13, 2023, 11:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from It Bites
The atmosphere is crap because the away support is generally crap and the football ain't great . It's still division 4 how ever you dress it up . Grimsby and Fulham were both great teams and we were the underdogs and it was the second leg .

I remember playing in div 4 when the away fans were in the pontoon corner (unless there was a big crowd) and it was great.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
ska face
May 13, 2023, 11:43am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Have you still got that actual horn ? If so it needs to go in a glass cabinet in the trust bar lol

Unfortunately the old cnt took it off me after tooting it around the house, never to be seen again.

Now as a father of a young child, the thought of her loose in the house with an industrial air horn fills me with dread, so fair enough I suppose.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
moosey_club
May 13, 2023, 12:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Atmosphere will continue to shrink as the family theme grows unfortunately....being sat in the Pontoon it's noticeable how the demographic in there now has changed down the years...when i first started going to BP in the late 70's the Pontoon was a feared place to go even  by home supporters...that continued into the 80's..

There are now large amounts of families, toddlers and teenage girls in there and with the best will in the world they don't bring a vociferous roar.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
Rick12
May 13, 2023, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from moosey_club
Atmosphere will continue to shrink as the family theme grows unfortunately....being sat in the Pontoon it's noticeable how the demographic in there now has changed down the years...when i first started going to BP in the late 70's the Pontoon was a feared place to go even  by home supporters...that continued into the 80's..

There are now large amounts of families, toddlers and teenage girls in there and with the best will in the world they don't bring a vociferous roar.

Ive seen the family element  abroad when Ive been to watch games on my travels eg Spain .Personally prefer it that way as opposed to the often hooligan element that we saw in England in the terraces in the 1980s. In fairness though the hooligan element is now better controlled by the authority's . Glad football has evolved. Cant be nice going in the 1980s  with your young family seeing all that violence on the terraces  and innocent youth sometimes  loosing their lives  sadly in the process.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/boro-fan-who-innocent-victim-17364115

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
aldi_01
May 13, 2023, 4:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
On the continent they’ve managed to create a pretty decent family atmosphere without the it being detrimental to the vociferous and loud fans and atmosphere.

I suspect the rules and regulations and the obsession with pedalling falsified information about crowd safety that’s also played apart.

Take Italy, you want loud singing and drinking, smoke bombs and flags, you go behind the goal. It’s carnage usually and a free for all. You want to sit down, enjoy the game and so forth, you sit down the side. Simple. Germany is very similar as is France and Holland.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Rick12
May 13, 2023, 4:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01
On the continent they’ve managed to create a pretty decent family atmosphere without the it being detrimental to the vociferous and loud fans and atmosphere.

I suspect the rules and regulations and the obsession with pedalling falsified information about crowd safety that’s also played apart.

Take Italy, you want loud singing and drinking, smoke bombs and flags, you go behind the goal. It’s carnage usually and a free for all. You want to sit down, enjoy the game and so forth, you sit down the side. Simple. Germany is very similar as is France and Holland.
Ive been to a Brazil game in this country and loved the atmosphere their fans create. Similarly its why I love the world cup for one. Greatest sporting spectacle on earth and generates  overall so much happiness for all ages the world over. I know an old woman for one who is not really into football but whenever the world cup comes on she sits down to watch it and enjoys seeing fans the world over congregate to watch the beautiful game in the stadia and support their respective country's .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
ska face
May 13, 2023, 6:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Not sure why it’s young families getting the blame for the lack of atmosphere - it’s generally the miserable old fúckers who are hardest to get going in my experience. Kids are usually there for a good time & unlike half the geriatrics that spend their afternoons moaning all match.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
grimsby pete
May 13, 2023, 7:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from ska face

Not sure why it’s young families getting the blame for the lack of atmosphere - it’s generally the miserable old fúckers who are hardest to get going in my experience. Kids are usually there for a good time & unlike half the geriatrics that spend their afternoons moaning all match.

Have you ever thought that old gits. like me do not have enough breathe to moan. I just sit there peacefully giving the odd clap when we score or do something good.

I did my fair share of singing in the ponny when I was young.

I do not like fans of any age moaning , the players are doing their best even if their best is not very good.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
moosey_club
May 13, 2023, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Quoted from ska face

A young family and groups of teenage girls don't produce a vociferous roar, that was my point...their presence creates a completely different atmosphere ...but it isn't a wall of noise.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
LH
May 13, 2023, 9:47pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,541
Gold Stars: 173
Teenage girls and toddlers often are the families at BP.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
denni266
May 13, 2023, 9:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from LH
Teenage girls and toddlers often are the families at BP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
HertsGTFC
May 14, 2023, 9:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,971
Gold Stars: 228
So BP it’s not like it used to be for sure but my experience is that our supporters get louder when we have a good go at scoring goals via attacking football. Playing out and getting up the field by “patient build up” which includes passing it sideways far too often doesn’t help.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
ska face
May 14, 2023, 12:41pm

Vodka Drinker
You’d think BP used to be like La Bombonera the way some people go on.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
CSLM
May 14, 2023, 2:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So BP it’s not like it used to be for sure but my experience is that our supporters get louder when we have a good go at scoring goals via attacking football. Playing out and getting up the field by “patient build up” which includes passing it sideways far too often doesn’t help.

Agreed. Definitely helps when there is a big away end on top of that.
Bradford this season and the second half of the Stockport game the season before spring to mind.
Both entertaining games and both had great atmospheres.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
The Caterham Mariner
May 14, 2023, 5:27pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +94
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from moosey_club

memories..memories  yes back in the day "when the pontoon was the Pontoon !" Last time i stood there town scarf jeans and wrangler denim jacket ..fellow that post of yours made me smile  ..hey i raise a glass to the old days
Times have changed thanks
UTM
UTM 2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
OddShapedBalls
May 15, 2023, 10:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from aldi_01

As a semi-regular at the Parc y Scarlets and also Nottingham Panthers I have to say it feels like there's an agenda with the policing and stewarding of football compared to other sports, it's like the authorities don't want to let football progress - do they make loads of money off it?  Do some people keep cushy jobs by propagating it?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 15, 2023, 11:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,306
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

As a semi-regular at the Parc y Scarlets and also Nottingham Panthers I have to say it feels like there's an agenda with the policing and stewarding of football compared to other sports, it's like the authorities don't want to let football progress - do they make loads of money off it?  Do some people keep cushy jobs by propagating it?  

Would that be the same Holland where the Ajax game was abandoned at the weekend because of flares being thrown on the pitch?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
OddShapedBalls
May 15, 2023, 3:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40

Would that be the same Holland where the Ajax game was abandoned at the weekend because of flares being thrown on the pitch?

...searches post for any mention of Holland....nope....nope again..... eventually shrugs shoulders and gives up..

Is this some sort of game where we interchange countries and sports in some bizarre twist of twinned towns?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just realised

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.