Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AdamHaddock, AdSense, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, AussieMariner, Badger57, Balthazar Bullitt, Barrattstander, bartgtfc, bawarmy, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Big Jake, bigbadmarinerbob, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BrMarin, BruceytheFish, Brummie Codfather, BulkyMariner, Cambs Mariner, cannylad65, Captaincod, cardiffmariner, Caveman, Cayman_mariner, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, Civvy at last, cjbill, coddy60, CodHead, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, DB, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, essexexile, EvilFish, FishOutOfWater, forza ivano, friskneymariner, Gaffer58, Gainsbro_Mariner, GarforthMariner, GhostDan, Gilbertswand, Gill, gobby, GollyGTFC, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, grimsby pete, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc_chris, Gtfcalex, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, Harbour Rat, HarrogateMariner, Heisenberg, HertsGTFC, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jimgtfc, johnbhoy, jonnyboy82, jungleland, kafunanapar140909, kevikov, krispy84, Les Brechin, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LN8Mariner, LocalLadGTFC, LondonMariner43, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, majestic tees, ManBurning, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, mariner chopper, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, Mariner56, mariner91, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Maringer, Mark GTFC, Matthew, Mayaman, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Mikey_345, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Nadfink, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, neverapen, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, Phisch, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, promotion plaice, Quagmire, rancido, richiedk, RichMariner, Roast Em Bobby, Rob_in_Grimsby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, Saudimariner, ScottyUTM, scott, shaun the sheep, Sigone, skegmariner, smokin joe, Southwark Mariner, Spatchcock, Spidey, spikelias, SpiritOf98, SteffiMariner, stevieh, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, supertown, Sussexmariner, sutton mariner, SWMariner, tanga_the_indestructible, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, The_Laughing_Mariner, thefish, Theimperialcoroner, thespiffing, thevera, tintowner, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, vinno69, WayneBurnettsJockstrap, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, WetFlannel, Withnail, wizbit, WLMariner, wormy, WOZOFGRIMSBY, wuffing, Zmariner and 1160 Guests

The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread

This thread currently has 714,561 views. Print
402 Pages Prev ... 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 ... Next All Recommend Thread
sam gy
September 2, 2023, 10:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from wembley_double98
I’m actually pleased that we haven’t these over exaggerated owners throwing bundles of cash everywhere. We will come good, loads of clubs at our level will lose out because not all can get promoted. This will be the tortoise and the hare race for us to get over the line in better shape
Hopefully our squad will grow stronger as the season progresses
UTM!

The club mirrors the Town in that we don’t have loads of money sloshing around, and the only way we will be successful is through hard work, grit and determination.

We have genuinely decent people that own, run the club and manage the team. Honestly, each to their own and I’m well aware a lot won’t agree, but that is paramount in importantance to me. I support the club because Im obsessed and enjoy it…whether we’re successful on the pitch or not.

A lot of Town fans online, like most other clubs I imagine are super reactionary to results mainly. If we’d have won the last two matches I don’t imagine there would have been the same reaction to deadline day. If we lose a few matches it’s hate filled vitriol, arguing g and overreacting, if we win it’s happy days and we’re getting promoted.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3900 - 4018
September 2, 2023, 10:31am
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner

Think the deadline for registering players was 11am yesterday in order for them to be able to play today.

So even if we had snapped up a few deals late last night they wouldn't be eligible for today.

Look, it's not ideal and it's frustrating. But Hurst and his team know the gaps in the squad and just because the transfer window has closed it doesn't mean we won't be bringing bodies in over the next week or two.  The likes of Hemmings and countless others are still available to be picked up.

Let's see who we manage to bring in on a free transfer, then judge the recruitment as a whole.  Eastwood, Rodgers, Conteh, Mullarkey, Eisa and Rose are all upgrades. I maintain Vernam will come good, plus we've yet to see Wilson and Pyke properly.

The window seems to have gone from one everyone was raving about to a disaster on the back of failing to get signings in on this manufactured panic day.

I've said before that I get annoyed how we seem to miss out all the time. Be it location, finance, the club... People didn't want to seem to come here.  This summer looked to have bucked that trend with the signings of some really good and highly rated players. The last week or so we've struggled again, perhaps it's the inflated prices in the window that Hurst refuses to play... I don't know. But once the dust has settled I think we need to properly evaluate why we lost out on so many targets and factor it into the plans for future windows.  If we're not gonna pay silly prices, then we'll have to accept that and make sure we get every single bit of business done early.

Best post so far.

Reply: 3901 - 4018
September 2, 2023, 10:34am
Guest User
Quoted from golfer
I thought we had money in the bank from the cup run and the sale of Macatee - we surely haven't spent it on the signings we have made so we must have money left. Our gates are up on what we expected so we should have money available for slightly better players.

How do you know this, do you have solid proof?

Reply: 3902 - 4018
It Bites
September 2, 2023, 10:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,206
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from sam gy

The club mirrors the Town in that we don’t have loads of money sloshing around, and the only way we will be successful is through hard work, grit and determination.

We have genuinely decent people that own, run the club and manage the team. Honestly, each to their own and I’m well aware a lot won’t agree, but that is paramount in importantance to me. I support the club because Im obsessed and enjoy it…whether we’re successful on the pitch or not.

A lot of Town fans online, like most other clubs I imagine are super reactionary to results mainly. If we’d have won the last two matches I don’t imagine there would have been the same reaction to deadline day. If we lose a few matches it’s hate filled vitriol, arguing g and overreacting, if we win it’s happy days and we’re getting promoted.

You make football fans sound bipolar lol. Seriously though football is all a lot of us have to look forward to and over reacting is part of the fun . I love a good rant and moan but as Del Boy found out , it’s the chase that’s the fun and excitement, that includes highs and lows .
Private Message
Reply: 3903 - 4018
lew chaterleys lover
September 2, 2023, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 123614

Have you got a few million to put in the pot?

No but neither am I in reality Lew Chatterley's lover. The owners have repeatedly talked about new investment into the club and without it both on and off the field it will be difficult.
Private Message
Reply: 3904 - 4018
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2023, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236

No but neither am I in reality Lew Chatterley's lover. The owners have repeatedly talked about new investment into the club and without it both on and off the field it will be difficult.

There's no doubt we have signed several improvements to our squad but the fact that Ben Davies came out and said that more additions were expected only 24 hours ago underlines the fact that we've missed out on targets. As pointed out elsewhere, we've only signed Andrews and Gnahoua since Conteh signed two months ago and, either we're still 'unattractive little old Grimsby' or we're still not prepared to match what others are in terms of cash.

It's all well and good investing in a better recruitment process but it does rely on you getting in some of the targets he identifies.
Private Message
Reply: 3905 - 4018
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2023, 11:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Tweet 1697917543267148103 will appear here...
Private Message
Reply: 3906 - 4018
tashee69
September 2, 2023, 11:41am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There's no doubt we have signed several improvements to our squad but the fact that Ben Davies came out and said that more additions were expected only 24 hours ago underlines the fact that we've missed out on targets. As pointed out elsewhere, we've only signed Andrews and Gnahoua since Conteh signed two months ago and, either we're still 'unattractive little old Grimsby' or we're still not prepared to match what others are in terms of cash.

It's all well and good investing in a better recruitment process but it does rely on you getting in some of the targets he identifies.

Or the other teams could be in a higher division or the player live near to where they’ve gone.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 3907 - 4018
Mappers
September 2, 2023, 12:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,480
Gold Stars: 119
Let's take a breath on the transfer window .

We have had a great 2 years , things are bound to slow down at some point , we are likely in a period of consolidation ( although I still think if we get everyone fit and firing we have an outside shot at the play-offs) league 2 is financially silly and like others I want to just go right through it and to league 1 . I think we just have to trust 'continuous improvement' and that it will get us to league one , just maybe not in the timeframe some expect .

I do think we have the finance and organisation to get there in the next 1-5 years , apart from the cups though and getting there what can we actually achieve ?

Better infrastructure , improved BP , disabled facilities and the training ground are all things I would like to see and increasing engagement of younger fans .

We have improved the PA system by the sounds of it , which is another tick in the box for the current custodians .

I would be happy with the continued improvement off the pitch and top half of league 2 for now ; I do get for some it's 'what happens on the pitch ' that's the be all and end all , I respect that view and you are paying every week to watch it .

It's all quite a nuanced argument and there is no right or wrong answer , people abuse Hurst; some understand the situation (and still think we should have better players ) and some are happy with their lot and labelled 'happy clappers'.

I do try and see it from all sides , and do understand people's views .

Let's enjoy today

We could be Reading , Morecambe , our neighbours , Fleetwood and various other and have actual worries for our clubs future rather than what's going on , on the pitch .

3rd Saturday game running we have sold 7k+ tickets , bloody good for a team that used to get 5k in The Championship !

UTMM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3908 - 4018
Davec
September 2, 2023, 12:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Kane Hemmings signs for Stevenage, so any hopes that he may sign for us outside the transfer window are dashed
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3909 - 4018
402 Pages Prev ... 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.