davmariner
April 12, 2023, 6:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from It Bites
One thing McAtee isn't is a Grimsby Town legend.......... He's near the back of a long que for that I'm afraid . Not every player who affects a season is a legend other wise you'd be calling Waterfall one too . He was just as important last season

Anyone that played a key part in getting us out of non league is a Town legend in my view.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Poojah
April 12, 2023, 6:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,734
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from It Bites
One thing McAtee isn't is a Grimsby Town legend.......... He's near the back of a long que for that I'm afraid . Not every player who affects a season is a legend other wise you'd be calling Waterfall one too . He was just as important last season

Waterfall has his place in our history and deserves the praise he gets, but McAtee has been a once in a generation player for us. He scored almost twice as many goals than any other Town player last season, including 2 crucial ones at key moments in the play-offs, and most of his goals were absolute peaches.

There are so many players who played huge, incredibly memorable roles for us last season, but McAtee was absolutely talismanic. He stands above everyone.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
It Bites
April 12, 2023, 6:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,207
Gold Stars: 266
Once in a generation.???? I think we'll leave it there .  
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Poojah
April 12, 2023, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Once in a generation.???? I think we'll leave it there .  

Name me another player in the space of the last 20 years or so who played like John McAtee did last season. Tenacious, relentlessly hard working, skilful and a scorer of worldies, often in big moments.

We’ve had players who have scored more goals, players who were faster, bigger, stronger, maybe even technically better, but pound-for-pound for our level the 21/22 McAtee was a wonderfully complete package. Unique. Once in a generation.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 12, 2023, 8:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Poojah

Name me another player in the space of the last 20 years or so who played like John McAtee did last season. Tenacious, relentlessly hard working, skilful and a scorer of worldies, often in big moments.

We’ve had players who have scored more goals, players who were faster, bigger, stronger, maybe even technically better, but pound-for-pound for our level the 21/22 McAtee was a wonderfully complete package. Unique. Once in a generation.

Different sort of player but his contribution in one season was immense.....Amond.

Not picking a fight because I agree about McAtee but just throwing another possibility into the debate.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Poojah
April 12, 2023, 8:22pm
Vodka Drinker

Different sort of player but his contribution in one season was immense.....Amond.

Not picking a fight because I agree about McAtee but just throwing another possibility into the debate.

Oh, absolutely. Amond was fantastic, as were several others even in our dark non-league days - Connell, Hearn, Bogle - Reddy and Jones before that, too. I just feel McAtee has a unique blend of attributes the likes we will not see again for a long time, and I predict that despite his indifferent season, he will go onto have the best career of any Town player in recent times.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
HertsGTFC
April 12, 2023, 8:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
I think McAtee was excellent last season, all the qualities that people have detailed above but 2 other things stood out for me, his habit of doing things just at the right time, especially in the play off semi with the first Town goal and the equaliser in the final, this season he’s just not got going for whatever reason.

The 2nd thing is that last season he was brilliant with the supporters, he has time for everyone and that’s something he’s not lost despite relatively poor form versus last season, others may have gone into their shell.

The lad will go on to have a really good career and I have no doubt he’ll be remembered in the right way for a long way into the future.

I personally will remember him for the difference he made last season and being off his mammaries outside the town hall bottle in each hand singing “Scunny get battered”….

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
toontown
April 12, 2023, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think McAtee was excellent last season, all the qualities that people have detailed above but 2 other things stood out for me, his habit of doing things just at the right time, especially in the play off semi with the first Town goal and the equaliser in the final, this season he’s just not got going for whatever reason.

The 2nd thing is that last season he was brilliant with the supporters, he has time for everyone and that’s something he’s not lost despite relatively poor form versus last season, others may have gone into their shell.

The lad will go on to have a really good career and I have no doubt he’ll be remembered in the right way for a long way into the future.

I personally will remember him for the difference he made last season and being off his mammaries outside the town hall bottle in each have singing “Scunny get battered”….

Absolutely - the epitome of a 'heart on your sleeve' player, you can see how much it means to him and the delight he gets from being loved by supporters. I really enjoyed his promotion parade celebrations too lol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
Maringer
April 12, 2023, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,668
Gold Stars: 189
McAtee was our talisman last season and made the difference in lots of games. Not the case this season, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
Lord Gadiform
April 12, 2023, 10:27pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +114
Gold Stars: 5
Uncomfortable with classing players as ‘great’ or ‘legend’. What’ll I’ll offer is that if we ever needed someone to make a difference the bloke I’d want on the pitch would be Mcatee. The biggest game he got the equaliser then with Crocombe and Taylor created that goal. I wish him well, it’s time to move on but I’ll treasure what he did for us. You need someone to make a difference in a big game there’s one bloke I’d choose.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Mansfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.