3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
April 6, 2023, 7:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
I know the club either have this or are working towards it.
Interesting BBC article about it here:
BBC News - 'We turned down a client to uphold gay rights'
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65173246[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
aldi_01
April 6, 2023, 7:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Saw this earlier, really struggling to see anything bad about it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2023, 8:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from aldi_01

Same!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
April 6, 2023, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from aldi_01

I can! "Loss of sales, Can't focus on the business due to the amount of time trying to get it and then maintaining it, increased costs."

Really?  At this stage of our development?

This is the complete opposite of Fenty, on a different stratosphere in fact, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good thing. These owners seem to have their own pet issues of sustainability and other buzz words and seem to be looking at anyone else through those rose tinted specs.

You can have an underlying ethos of fairness and empathy, of good business dealings and being good with people and transparent with fans, but this B Corp seems an unnecessary step too far. It seems more like a pet project and a feather in the owners collective caps than necessarily good for the club.

I would have put 100% of effort time and money into all the fixable problems for the next few years, and then look at this later on.

They obviously take a different view but they are already esteemed business people who will naturally gravitate to other decent people and vice versa so I am struggling to see why they are so keen on it. Business people, fans, managers and players all have faults and it seems they might be fishing in a smaller pond on the altar of B Corp accreditation.

It won't affect your average fan I don't suppose but is an interesting topic on philosophy and the order of priorities.

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
April 6, 2023, 9:12am
Guest User
I think it’s just another aspect of the reinvention of the town. Everything is pointing towards sustainability and Green energy. This goes hand in hand with that. I’m pretty sure they know what they’re doing.
Reply: 4 - 26
Maringer
April 6, 2023, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
We're not a marketing company so are unlikely to be turning down much business. Potential investment from handchoppers or other despotic petro-regimes is somewhat unlikely so I don't think that is anything that needs to be worried about.

Ultimately, we're talking about a small annual fee for the B Corp status itself, promising to treat our staff well and the administration costs of the application. Doesn't seem overly onerous to me.

Not as if we're closing down the Main Stand because we're spending the money on the B Corp application and won't have any left for maintenance work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
Madeleymariner
April 6, 2023, 9:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Nice little earner for top bods at B Lab probably  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2023, 9:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228

I can! "Loss of sales, Can't focus on the business due to the amount of time trying to get it and then maintaining it, increased costs."

This is the complete opposite of Fenty, on a different stratosphere in fact, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good thing. These owners seem to have their own pet issues of sustainability and other buzz words and seem to be looking at anyone else through those rose tinted specs.

You can have an underlying ethos of fairness and empathy, of good business dealings and being good with people and transparent with fans, but this B Corp seems an unnecessary step too far. It seems more like a pet project and a feather in the owners collective caps than necessarily good for the club.

I would have put 100% of effort time and money into all the fixable problems for the next few years, and then look at this later on.

They obviously take a different view but they are already esteemed business people who will naturally gravitate to other decent people and vice versa so I am struggling to see why they are so keen on it. Business people, fans, managers and players all have faults and it seems they might be fishing in a smaller pond on the alta of B Corp accreditation.

It won't affect your average fan I don't suppose but is an interesting topic on philosophy and the order of priorities.

The world and society is changing.

"It won't affect your average fan" well it just might if we engage with them and make the football club accessible, they may get off their couch, X Box, etc.. and start supporting the club and coming to games especially if they feel they want to be part of something alongside watching the football. This is far from a vanity project you're suggesting it's about doing the right things the right way.

Personally I respect the owners views and the strategy on this, they're doing something that they believe in and I'd be completely amazed if it supressed anything to do with the footballing side of the club.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
OddShapedBalls
April 6, 2023, 9:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40

They obviously take a different view but they are already esteemed business people who will naturally gravitate to other decent people and vice versa so I am struggling to see why they are so keen on it. Business people, fans, managers and players all have faults and it seems they might be fishing in a smaller pond on the alta of B Corp accreditation.

I think the B corp achieves 2 things for them, firstly a lot has been made about the club being part of the community and being sustainably run - B corp is a form of proof that you engage with stakeholders so it validates what they've been saying.  It also then puts them in the club they want to be in for the kind of financing and partnerships they want in future, like the community training ground, and gives confidence to partners/investors/lenders in the future....say if we need a load of money for a new/redeveloped stadium at some point.

I think it's more of a building block that then opens more doors rather than a pet project, but I agree that as the average fan I really don't care about it myself but can see why the club wants it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
Gilbertswand
April 6, 2023, 9:29am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +184
Gold Stars: 21
I cant see anything bad about this it all...feels like we are ahead of the curve doing this as a football club.
This in itself will give the club a unique selling point. Other like minded organisations will know that their brand is in safe hands being associated with GTFC. Its about doing the right thing and too may organisations are solely focussed on profit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › B Corp status

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.