3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
April 6, 2023, 9:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851

I can! "Loss of sales, Can't focus on the business due to the amount of time trying to get it and then maintaining it, increased costs."

Really?  At this stage of our development?

This is the complete opposite of Fenty, on a different stratosphere in fact, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good thing. These owners seem to have their own pet issues of sustainability and other buzz words and seem to be looking at anyone else through those rose tinted specs.

You can have an underlying ethos of fairness and empathy, of good business dealings and being good with people and transparent with fans, but this B Corp seems an unnecessary step too far. It seems more like a pet project and a feather in the owners collective caps than necessarily good for the club.

I would have put 100% of effort time and money into all the fixable problems for the next few years, and then look at this later on.

They obviously take a different view but they are already esteemed business people who will naturally gravitate to other decent people and vice versa so I am struggling to see why they are so keen on it. Business people, fans, managers and players all have faults and it seems they might be fishing in a smaller pond on the alta of B Corp accreditation.

It won't affect your average fan I don't suppose but is an interesting topic on philosophy and the order of priorities.

This is premised on the idea that you can’t do one thing whilst doing another. From what I understand, B Corp is about having set policies, behaviour and ways of working in place which accord with the aims/pillars of B Corp. A new culture and ways of working were always going to be needed after the last 20-30 years, might as well have some guiding principles and get some good PR while you’re doing it.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
diehardmariner
April 6, 2023, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
To the vast majority of fans, having B Corp status will mean sod all.  

But if you're a prospective employee, perhaps not just on the footballing side but operationally too it could be crucial.  It might be the difference between an applicant or a key position opting for us over a rival side simply because of our values.  Everyone goes to work for pay, but anything else you can add to the bargaining chip is always a benefit.

I think the B Corp status also puts us in a niche little bracket (for now at least) where we can tap into other similar minded organisations and people for future endeavors.

There's little to nothing to be lost from going for it.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
GYinScuntland
April 6, 2023, 10:22am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Seems like just another old boys club to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
ska face
April 6, 2023, 10:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Thank you for that considered interjection.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
toontown
April 6, 2023, 12:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
I must admit the admission that the company in the article were turning away 70% of potential clients in order to be B corp was staggering - and a bit concerning. Just how stringent are we going to have to be with firms wanting to be commercial partners (hire an exec box, sponsor a game or ball, advertise). Is it the realms that a London based PR company deals with that means so many companies are deemed unsuitable by b Corp, and it won't be like that for us, or is it excessively stringent rules by B Corp?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
Limerick Mariner
April 6, 2023, 12:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,743
Gold Stars: 138
Lots of stuff that needs to be done for B Corp helps with grant bids  - sustainability, social value, equality and diversity, health and well-being outcomes - all need to be demonstrated. The public sector will latch on to GTFC being a leader in the space and it all helps get the club noticed nationally - we were the club that government chose to launch the Football Regulator at and, after hopefully this lot are dumped at the next election, this stuff will matter even more to the incoming goverment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
LondonMariner43
April 6, 2023, 1:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
As some that works for a large B Corp, I don’t see any reason to be negative about it and plenty of reasons to be positive. I’m proud to support a club that wants to do this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
mike_d
April 6, 2023, 1:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Seems like just another old boys club to me.

Given the fact it's about equality, diversity and gender recognition at the heart of the values, couldn't be further from your statement.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
rancido
April 6, 2023, 1:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,655
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Nice little earner for top bods at B Lab probably  

Like anybody else they do a job for a wage.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
TheFryingSquad
April 6, 2023, 2:09pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
So we pay a subscription based on turnover to get a badge on the wall telling us we’re doing what we should be doing anyway.  Sounds like it’s up there with ‘Investors in People’ as a pointless vanity exercise.  Looking forward to the coaching from the dugout, ‘Luke old chum, would you be so kind as to clear the ball to a safe area, and while your at it can you ensure than you ask Smithers to step forward a little, many thanks old bean’.  Much better than ‘hoof it ya wānker’.

However, if it gets us 3 points on a Saturday……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › B Corp status

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.