This thread currently has 1,270 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TheFryingSquad
March 29, 2023, 7:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
WTF is going on in this country?  A perfectly good area ruined by drugs, crime, prostitution and violence.  People that can barely speak English with no intention of working and contributing.

If we are ever going to help immigrants, we need to educate and integrate into society.  Sticking them near the Ermine estate isn’t the answer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
March 29, 2023, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,273
Gold Stars: 226
Some fantastic reactions from the locals on Look North this evening..

Saying that the site isn't fit for habitation, no facilities or local amenities , impact on emergency services etc....then in the next breath saying they should house veterans in there 😂

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
TheFryingSquad
March 29, 2023, 7:58pm
Shandy Drinker
When they were discussing the subject of not fit for habitation, did they make it clear whether they were talking about the VErmine estate or RAF Scampton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
LH
March 29, 2023, 8:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,544
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from moosey_club
Some fantastic reactions from the locals on Look North this evening..

Saying that the site isn't fit for habitation, no facilities or local amenities , impact on emergency services etc....then in the next breath saying they should house veterans in there 😂

Good to see the state of service accomodation finally getting airtime in the media.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
TheFryingSquad
March 29, 2023, 8:45pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from LH

Good to see the state of service accomodation finally getting airtime in the media.

Married quarters and indeed barrack accommodation has suffered a complete lack of investment dating back to the 70’s.  I lived at Scampton in the late 80’s and the majority of the married quarters were condemned.  A few years later at Waddington a comprehensive refurb comprised new windows and a lick of magnolia.  Same old parkray fires and 30 year old radiators with 20 layers of paint keeping the heat in.

Had the MoD invested in property it would have been worth something today, they didn’t and it isn’t hence developers weren’t interested in Scampton.  That’s an aside from the disgraceful accommodation that our service folk are expected to live in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
TheFryingSquad
March 29, 2023, 8:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from TheFryingSquad
WTF is going on in this country?  A perfectly good area ruined by drugs, crime, prostitution and violence.  People that can barely speak English with no intention of working and contributing.

If we are ever going to help immigrants, we need to educate and integrate into society.  Sticking them near the Ermine estate isn’t the answer.

I’ll make my next joke a little easier to understand so that the Guardian readers can spot the difference between humour and discrimination against immigrants.  The joke was obviously at the expense of the Ermine Estate inhabitants, read it again and see if you get it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
LH
March 29, 2023, 10:07pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,544
Gold Stars: 173

Married quarters and indeed barrack accommodation has suffered a complete lack of investment dating back to the 70’s.  I lived at Scampton in the late 80’s and the majority of the married quarters were condemned.  A few years later at Waddington a comprehensive refurb comprised new windows and a lick of magnolia.  Same old parkray fires and 30 year old radiators with 20 layers of paint keeping the heat in.

Had the MoD invested in property it would have been worth something today, they didn’t and it isn’t hence developers weren’t interested in Scampton.  That’s an aside from the disgraceful accommodation that our service folk are expected to live in.

The blocks and quarters would never have been worth anything to anyone other than the forces singlies and families who lived in them. They were built cheap and largely without thought in the first place.

My two rooms at Marham had both been condemed prior to my occupation and one of them was only circa 20yrs old when I’d moved into it!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
ginnywings
March 29, 2023, 10:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548

I’ll make my next joke a little easier to understand so that the Guardian readers can spot the difference between humour and discrimination against immigrants.  The joke was obviously at the expense of the Ermine Estate inhabitants, read it again and see if you get it.

Do we have to?

It wasn't funny the first time.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 29, 2023, 11:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
I understood it was a joke on second reading, just didn't think it was that amusing. The thing about the Ermine Estate would suggest that the OP is from the Lincoln area as most Town fans would never have heard of it.

I'm one of those lefties that doesn't read the Guardian. The Press is dead or it bloody well will be come the glorious revolution.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2023, 7:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
I understood it was a joke on second reading, just didn't think it was that amusing. The thing about the Ermine Estate would suggest that the OP is from the Lincoln area as most Town fans would never have heard of it.

I'm one of those lefties that doesn't read the Guardian. The Press is dead or it bloody well will be come the glorious revolution.

I’ve been doing some work on the Ermine estate and can assure you that, just like every other council estate in every other town, there are some shithouses but there are also some lovely people.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › RAF Scampton immigrant housing

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.