BraStrap
March 29, 2023, 10:09pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from gtfc98
Wondering how this would impact MarinersTV?

Live coverage would flip from the clubs to DAZN. You'd buy a subscription and watch games on normal TV or a regular web site/app rather than faffing about with VPNs. We'd still probably get the same pictures and commentary at a guess. I'd have thought your subscription would cover every game like Sky/BT/Amazon, but maybe they will let fans subscribe to just one club's games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
Mappers
March 29, 2023, 11:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,320
Gold Stars: 117
No one would be paying for it though would they , there would just be free streams all over the place , like there is now -you can watch every game online for free - nothing  beats being there in person for me .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
GrimRob
March 30, 2023, 4:43pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,408
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mappers
No one would be paying for it though would they , there would just be free streams all over the place , like there is now -you can watch every game online for free - nothing  beats being there in person for me .

I think Sky Sports has around 10 million paying customers. But I agree it's not like being there, we all know that. The atmosphere is a huge part. Especially with the low standard of offering at our level. One camera angle etc

My biggest concern is that away crowds would dwindle and people would stop going. The game could slowly fizzle out. There is no fighting technology but lower league football could have reached its high tide mark or soon will.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 17
OddShapedBalls
March 30, 2023, 4:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
It's all a bit 'adapt or die' I think.  It's coming so we need to get ready early and beat the less prepared clubs.

There's an advantage of opening up to a world market with this too, and having people in Texas and Shanghai buying town shirts etc, plus the fact that advertising will be worth more as more people will see the product, but it'll be a crowded marketplace with 72 clubs all entering at the same time and Wrexham have stolen a big march on everyone else in that regard. Then there's the inevitable dilution of British players in the leagues - some clubs will 100% get in a player from Outer Mongolia because the metrics say they'll get 20,000 views there if they do.

When it happens (money talks, it's gonna happen eventually, i'm resigned to that) those clubs with the best social media teams, inventive content creators and lets be honest success on the pitch will make the most from it I imagine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
Gaffer58
March 30, 2023, 6:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Maybe our owners are aware of these plans, I would assume £1.43 million from tv is more then our gate receipts, so why spend millions on a new stadium when what we have now will be more then adequate in the future, whereas some one like Bradford getting 18k each game probably would still make more money from attendees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
Mappers
March 31, 2023, 6:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,320
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Gaffer58
Maybe our owners are aware of these plans, I would assume £1.43 million from tv is more then our gate receipts, so why spend millions on a new stadium when what we have now will be more then adequate in the future, whereas some one like Bradford getting 18k each game probably would still make more money from attendees.

Not really ,remember Bradford sell their season tickets at pretty much half price to  everyone else so their actual takings would be that of any other team getting 9 or 10k for example  .

I would be more inclined to know if there will be an 'opt out'

Dazn arent exactly doing well ,year on year losses in the billions ; and like i posted before ,a high majority wouldnt be paying for the games .

Surely it would just mean that with all the clubs getting extra they just have to spend more ,and player wages are inflated even more with clubs chasing the dream .

I remember ITV digital
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
queenybantam07
March 31, 2023, 10:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +84
Quoted from Mappers

Not really ,remember Bradford sell their season tickets at pretty much half price to  everyone else so their actual takings would be that of any other team getting 9 or 10k for example  .

I remember ITV digital

Such a misconception is that.

Although our ticket prices are heavily discounted comparative to the rest of the EFL (which should be applauded btw), not all our tickets are. At any given time they increase up to £400.

Commercial revenue pulls in more than £1m per annum (which is a record for any club at this level) - the highest it’s been since our Premier League days, all thanks to higher crowds.

We sell more shirts, pies, beer etc.

Of course there are downsides, for example: our stadium rent is £380k per season before we’ve even kicked a ball. The policing bill for some games are higher than the annual bill of some clubs. But, although we give away our season tickets in Kellogg’s boxes, we’ve only shifted 14,000. We average 17,500, so you do the maths.

Tomorrow, we’ll have 6,000 paying fans - which is becoming the norm most weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
GollyGTFC
March 31, 2023, 11:57am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,966
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from promotion plaice

Times are changing, so many people with VPN's these days.

What's a VPN. Every Saturday 3PM game that we don't attend me and Grantham Mariner take his laptop to Calais and watch the game from there.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › EFL Saturday broadcast

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.