Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 124 Guests

Just back..

This thread currently has 2,640 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Sussexmariner
March 28, 2023, 10:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +623
Gold Stars: 18
To the car and my 10 minute drive home
At least 5 gilt edge chances second half,Town should of buried Crawley before they got their penalty (too far away to see if it was or not)
Khan, Lloyd, Hunt and Clifton x2 all wasteful.
Apart from one good save in the first half Crocombe had nothing to do all game and he nearly saved the penalty from where we were standing behind the goal.
It’s a good job this game meant nothing toTown or else I’d be flipping fuming we threw away 2 points tonight.
MoM for me was Smith, even without Waterfall next to him he dominated their front 2 also a mention for Lloyd who again ran his nut’s off all game, has a great attitude and give 100% Love to see him play for us next season.

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
HerveJosse
March 28, 2023, 10:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Sussexmariner
At least 5 gilt edge chances second half,Town should of buried Crawley before they got their penalty (too far away to see if it was or not)
Apart from one good save in the first half Crocombe had nothing to do all game and he nearly saved the penalty from where we were standing behind the goal.
It’s a good job this game meant nothing toTown or else I’d be flipping fuming we threw away 2 points tonight.
MoM for me was Smith, even without Waterfall next to him he dominated their front 2 also a mention for Lloyd who again ran his nut’s off all game, has a great attitude and give 100% Love to see him play for us next season.

Very good summary and some solace from fact it doesn’t matter but would we have been any less likely to have thrown it away if it did ? Therre  is the mystery with this team . Can do it in one off games in the cup/ play offs but not in the  league. Why ? Don’t expect any answers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Mikey_345
March 28, 2023, 10:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 108
Getting over the initial frustration.. because that certainly was frustrating to not take 3 points from.

I thought some of the stuff we played was lovely and free flowing a times. Definite issues with finishing that we need to address. However we seem to have progressed from a team that’s tough to watch at times and doesn’t create chances, to one that now does but can’t finish.

Pre game I wondered if PH would start looking at a 4 at the back as he’s on record saying he does prefer that over a 5.

The positives: thought Smith and Maher had very good games (with one maybe possible exception from the latter), Morris and Hunt ran the midfield well and I’ve in the past been unsure if Hunt would suit a 2 in midfield without the defensive cover. Emmanuel was immense first 30 minutes, Harry and Lloyd ran and caused real issues.

All in all, yep it’s incredibly annoying as we should have won that twice over. However I’m quite positive about the improvement we’ve seen of late.

Turning those draws into wins is key next year. With some key additions I don’t think we’re far off being able to challenge the top 7 next season.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
RichMariner
March 28, 2023, 10:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
I suspect the fans who'll be even more píssed off than us tonight will be Hartlepool fans.

A mate of mine paid to watch the live stream. He said we were really impressive and is very worried what we might do to them in a week or two.

I told him to relax, we'll do what we always do — either impress right up to the final third and do nothing, or get into the final third and be wasteful in front of goal. I also told him to have a look at our home record in the league!

Not sure it made him feel any better tbh. They need to start winning and a draw will be no good to them at BP.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Son of Cod
March 28, 2023, 11:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Got to say fair play to their keeper clapping the Town end at the end when he's got nothing but abuse for the entire second half.

That would have been a hell of a lot more frustrating if I wasn't almost home (one hour from Crawley Station to Peckham) and more importantly if we had something to play for.

We were all over them. Absolutely battered them 1-1. Did not look like a side that has played 9 times this month. First to pretty much everything. Yep they were wasteful but this is hardly new news, is it? Not finishing teams off has been a problem consistently. At least we know exactly what we need to improve in the summer.

Was it a pen or not? The replay I've seen looks like it might have been but a Crawley fan right in front of it on TFF is saying no chance and not only that but that the lino gave it as a corner and was ignored by the ref.

Another thing to note is that the attack/midfield that finished the match has played barely any football together. Other than Morris and Clifton I don't think even any pair of them that have played together much let alone all of them as a unit.

Probably the best following down South midweek in terms of noise since the Bromley fiasco too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
The Caterham Mariner
March 29, 2023, 9:19am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Sussexmariner

Well put.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
The Caterham Mariner
March 29, 2023, 9:27am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
In my Opionion
Paul Hurst to me at times is reluctant to use subs but last night at Crawley come the 2nd half he did use them and not in the usual dying last 5 minutes.Thats not a dig at him but all managers quote from my "Non  Grimbarian Wife" (Football Pundit in training) "Why do they leave it all to do in the last 3 mins!"
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Spurn boy
March 29, 2023, 10:18am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Can’t recall Mayer using the long throws last night as opposed to the Walsall game when every long throw was cleared by their defenders. Maybe Hursty does read The Fishy and realises they don’t work.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
OddShapedBalls
March 29, 2023, 11:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Son of Cod
Got to say fair play to their keeper clapping the Town end at the end when he's got nothing but abuse for the entire second half.

That would have been a hell of a lot more frustrating if I wasn't almost home (one hour from Crawley Station to Peckham) and more importantly if we had something to play for.

We were all over them. Absolutely battered them 1-1. Did not look like a side that has played 9 times this month. First to pretty much everything. Yep they were wasteful but this is hardly new news, is it? Not finishing teams off has been a problem consistently. At least we know exactly what we need to improve in the summer.

Was it a pen or not? The replay I've seen looks like it might have been but a Crawley fan right in front of it on TFF is saying no chance and not only that but that the lino gave it as a corner and was ignored by the ref.

Another thing to note is that the attack/midfield that finished the match has played barely any football together. Other than Morris and Clifton I don't think even any pair of them that have played together much let alone all of them as a unit.

Probably the best following down South midweek in terms of noise since the Bromley fiasco too.

I don't think it was a pen at all, looked like he won the ball and the linesman seemed to agree.  I also think you look at the players reactions and Crocombe isn't picking up a card for dissent if he's not genuinely aggrieved by the decision.  But, that's all a moot point because if you go in like that in the box you force the ref to make a decision, stay on your feet and you don't.  I doubt Maher will make the same mistake again though.  On the subject of Crocombe, have to say it was a good effort from him, did everything possible to put the taker off and despite being sent the wrong way he still nearly saved it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
marinerjase
March 29, 2023, 11:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,679
Gold Stars: 147
It was a terrible pen, right down the middle and no pace on it. Crocombe got a hand to it and will be disappointed he didn’t do better. His reaction said everything. He even slipped doing that.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.