March 29, 2023, 10:11am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Exactly - Parc y Scarlets 15,000 capacity , £23 mill back in 2008.  Brilliant facility, it's everything Town could want really, but adjust it for basic inflation (nevermind concrete and steel etc) and that's £34 million today, so probably more like £40million all told.  The other advantages there was wealthy benefactors, a council hell bent on delivering a new stadium for the benefit of the area, and a whole retail park being build around it as part of the plan on the edge of town as you come in from Swansea direction and the old ground Stradey park being turned into 400 homes  which contributed over £5 mill to the project. I don't see the fates aligning like that for Town unless I win the euromillions on friday and cover the entire costs.

The only advantage we have in Grimsby is the price of the land so much cheaper than most other places in the country
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 164
Mappers
March 29, 2023, 10:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,492
Gold Stars: 120
We have outgrown BP , I have put on another thread -when we do get through to league 1 we will be in a mess if its as it is now with the numbers the bigger clubs will want to bring and they will be limited to 1200 fans .

I am more and more inclined to think we desperately do need a new ground

Playing Lincoln ,Derby ,Barnsley , Ipswich , Bradford ,Sheff Weds ,Bolton and even Notts County etc .

The doubters who say 'we dont fill BP now ' need to ask themselves the questions -wouldnt we have more than 10k home fans for these games ,and is 1200 tickets enough for these clubs ?

We need 40 million quid somehow and a new stadium .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 164
wuffing
March 29, 2023, 11:51am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
I had a dream last night - and it was vivid. I dreamt that Blundell Park was totally rebuilt with the stands being: The New Main Stand; The New Pontoon; The New Findus and the New Osmond. The architecture was brand new but the stands closely monitored the existing structures, but with a greater capacity.

Funny things dreams eh?

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 164
lew chaterleys lover
March 29, 2023, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers
We have outgrown BP , I have put on another thread -when we do get through to league 1 we will be in a mess if its as it is now with the numbers the bigger clubs will want to bring and they will be limited to 1200 fans .

I am more and more inclined to think we desperately do need a new ground

Playing Lincoln ,Derby ,Barnsley , Ipswich , Bradford ,Sheff Weds ,Bolton and even Notts County etc .

The doubters who say 'we dont fill BP now ' need to ask themselves the questions -wouldnt we have more than 10k home fans for these games ,and is 1200 tickets enough for these clubs ?

We need 40 million quid somehow and a new stadium .

In a perfect world I am sure we would all like a new 15k stadium and all that goes with it, but it seems incredibly unlikely in the short, medium and even fairly long term.

That leaves us with making the most of what we've got, which in league 2 or even league 1 could be made to work the vast majority of the time.

The question then arises what to do, when to do it and how to afford it, but at least BP is our own, on a site big enough if we relocate the car park and generally be creative with the space we've got.

It will be very interesting to see what they decide to do.
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 164
ska face
March 29, 2023, 2:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Rotherham received a £5m loan from their council, as well as the stadium being put at the centre of a wider town centre renaissance project. NE Lincs was meant to be swimming with levelling up cash, and you have to question what the Council and local MPs are doing to get their hands on that pot of £4,800,000,000?

I don’t think they will have done, but I hope Stockwood & Petit were in Nici & Vickers’ ears about it when they came for their recent photo op.
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 164
DB
March 29, 2023, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ska face
Rotherham received a £5m loan from their council, as well as the stadium being put at the centre of a wider town centre renaissance project. NE Lincs was meant to be swimming with levelling up cash, and you have to question what the Council and local MPs are doing to get their hands on that pot of £4,800,000,000?

I don’t think they will have done, but I hope Stockwood & Petit were in Nici & Vickers’ ears about it when they came for their recent photo op.

I seem to recall that NELC was not helpful several years ago when a vote was taken about Great Coates, several abstained because they had season tickets and others because they went (had been to) matches. The rest voted was against a move. Cllr has distanced the council saying that they don't even own the land at Freemo, LHP do.

It would therefore appear that the club may not receive any help from NELC with a new ground, unlike the Rotherham case above.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 164
Mappers
March 29, 2023, 5:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,492
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from DB

I seem to recall that NELC was not helpful several years ago when a vote was taken about Great Coates, several abstained because they had season tickets and others because they went (had been to) matches. The rest voted was against a move. Cllr has distanced the council saying that they don't even own the land at Freemo, LHP do.

It would therefore appear that the club may not receive any help from NELC with a new ground, unlike the Rotherham case above.

We wont get  help from the local council /government, they love to take the photo opportunity sporting the clubs colours when things are going well but thats about all we are going to get .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 164
rancido
March 29, 2023, 6:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from DB

I think you will find that a precedent had been set as regards councillors voting on football ground expansion/developments. When it was proposed to develop Anfield in Liverpool, several councillors were excluded from voting for the proposals because they were ST holders and as such had a vested interest.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 164
moosey_club
March 29, 2023, 6:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Mappers

We wont get  help from the local council /government, they love to take the photo opportunity sporting the clubs colours when things are going well but thats about all we are going to get .

Whilst I do have my own disillusion with the NELC council and planning ....its only fair to point out that , as far as I am aware, the club havnt actually had the money, at any point,  to move forward on a ground anyway....they have all been speculative proposals that have been put forward.

The council have previously stated they wished to help as much as they could but they certainly won't be paying for it.

Everything Fenty put forward was based on needing anchor tenants, housing , affiliated developments etc none of which he had lined up.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 164
rancido
March 29, 2023, 6:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from moosey_club

Whilst I do have my own disillusion with the NELC council and planning ....its only fair to point out that , as far as I am aware, the club havnt actually had the money, at any point,  to move forward on a ground anyway....they have all been speculative proposals that have been put forward.

The council have previously stated they wished to help as much as they could but they certainly won't be paying for it.

Everything Fenty put forward was based on needing anchor tenants, housing , affiliated developments etc none of which he had lined up.

Certainly no ' ducks in a row ' !!!  

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 164
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.