Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 177 Guests

This thread currently has 16,500 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
March 27, 2023, 10:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from It Bites
Anyone know why Fenty up rooted and moved out the area ?

Putin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 164
ska face
March 27, 2023, 10:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Putin? Fúck all, but took out £1.5m plus another £200k stolen off the Trust
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 164
Nelly GTFC
March 28, 2023, 1:55am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,760
Gold Stars: 31
It is what it is, if it needs patching up it will have to be done to bring it up to safety standards.

Hopefully we get a new stadium before we are all dead.  We don't really have any adjacent land near a train station like Rotherham has unless you take Great Coates into consideration.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KNobYfX.png[/img]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 164
aldi_01
March 28, 2023, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from White_shorts

FFS yet another ground redevelopment thread.

It would be madness to squeeze four new stands onto the site of BP when there is a bigger stadium-sized plot of land at Freemo.  Do you seriously think 12k is adequate for Grimsby Town Football Club?  Do you have no desire to see the Mariners compete in the Championship again?  I doubt the council will give permission for more than the 10k we had with those green uncovered seats.

It is tough enough to get promoted from League One as it is.  Wrexham are increasing their capacity to 15k and will likely go up again.  Notts County and Bradford should be third tier in a few years.  If we stay at BP, stagnation and apathy will set in and the club will just yo-yo between the fourth division and non-league.

I know you’re obsessed with Freemo but you are aware that permission has been granted for the building of a free school on that land? You do know that the council, and the club have said Freemo isn’t an option?

We’ll never know of Freemo would’ve been a good site but banging on about it when it’s now more dead in the water than PP and Great Coates is making you look more silly than honest John.

As for the response to the question, ‘why did John leave?’ I’d imagine there’s a raft of reasons, one being embarrassment, although I’m probably given him credit for having feelings and sadness about how flipping awful he ran the club.

I know he got into some ‘business’ over there but again, I can’t see this ending all that well.

Let’s not forget, May wasn’t just involved or trying to be with the club, there’d been off the record meetings at the council too…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 164
diehardmariner
March 28, 2023, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Barrattstander

I would think 12k probably is adequate, the last time we were in the second tier from 1998 to 2003 our average home attendance over those five seasons was 6163 and the highest attendance during that time was 9528. I would think that 1878 are fully aware of the potential level of support the club could achieve in each division and from my experience fans prefer to watch a winning team rather than a struggling one in a higher division.

Whilst I agree that anything north of 12,000 as an initial capacity would be foolish, I don't think the comparison to 20-25 years ago in terms of average attendance is valid.

Football and life has changed since then.  Football is more popular.  We were getting sub 4,000 games when we were ripping Wolves, Birmingham, Derby et al apart in the second tier.  Yet we've comfortably exceeded 6,000 gates in recent years when playing comparatively dull football against near pub sides.  

If we were in the Championship right now, I'd be very confident we would have the ability to easily pull five-figure gates in pretty much every home game.  Away followings in the Championship have averaged about 1,400 this season alone.  There's also a period of success required to get into the Championship, which would also see a massive uptake on the gate.  

This £350k news just helps strengthen the argument to me that we simply can't afford to stay at BP without significant investment into the infrastructure.  Its current guise is not only limiting in terms of income generation and development, but it's a massive money drain.  
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 164
Kris2
March 28, 2023, 11:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
I think it's also that lower league and non-league football has become more trendy these days which helps. In the years when the town had greater success during Buckley I and II from the late 80's to through the 90's supporting GTFC was really unfashionable. The PL had just started with tons of sponsorship and TV in pubs so people were more likely to gravitate to those teams, kids especially. Many of my relatives and friends supported Man Utd and Liverpool back then when I started attending games with my dad and we were a team on the up for quite a few seasons until the turn of the decade. Everybody knew who Eric Cantona was but Clive Mendonca was a cult hero known only to a few thousand who attended games at BP.

These days with Youtube, football hipster trends and so on a lot more light has shone on teams in non-league that nobody had really heard of and supporting your local team became a lot more trendy. As the PL became more overpriced and commercial, more football was being hidden behind paywalls and kits began to sell for even more extortionate prices, local football seemed a far more reasonable and accessible option. I think that's something the club are also keen to take advantage of by improving the matchday experience and connecting the club more locally into the culture to capture more of the community into backing them. The media coverage from the cup run and glowing reviews of matchday food on social media has helped too.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 164
grimps
March 28, 2023, 12:29pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Barrattstander

I would think 12k probably is adequate, the last time we were in the second tier from 1998 to 2003 our average home attendance over those five seasons was 6163 and the highest attendance during that time was 9528. I would think that 1878 are fully aware of the potential level of support the club could achieve in each division and from my experience fans prefer to watch a winning team rather than a struggling one in a higher division.

Yeah but football and fans attending it has changed a lot since then.
I often hear other fans saying “ I remember Grimsby was only getting 5000 in the old second division. “
Yeah we was but so was Bradford , Hull , Bolton etc .

Unless we build something big enough to host a championship club we’ll never be one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 164
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 28, 2023, 12:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
What was it that we previously spunked out on ‘consultancy fees’? £2m or something. Well, let’s be pleased that we’re not going to be wasting money like that on some vague white elephant knob extension

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 164
Mappers
March 28, 2023, 1:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,492
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from grimps

Yeah but football and fans attending it has changed a lot since then.
I often hear other fans saying “ I remember Grimsby was only getting 5000 in the old second division. “
Yeah we was but so was Bradford , Hull , Bolton etc .

Unless we build something big enough to host a championship club we’ll never be one

Exactly this the game has changed so much , clubs get bigger gates generally if you look back to when we where getting low crowds in the champ a few teams averages for the 2000-2001 season:
Rotherham Utd -5652
Wrexham-3952
Hull city -6676
Swansea -4913
Brentford-4645
Bournemouth -4403
Plymouth -4945

And look at what attendances those clubs get now ,its a flawed argument to say we would never get bigger crowds if we went back through now ,there are even more examples of clubs who's gates have taken a big upturn .
We can only speculate that we would get bigger crowds with a better stadium but looking at the clubs that have , on the whole its meant an upturn in both league position and attendances .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 164
Mappers
March 28, 2023, 1:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,492
Gold Stars: 120
What we dont know is if a higher number of fans not attending now is :
- they dont come because of the facilities
-there arent anymore there and we have maxed out

What we do know based on this season
-we have 7k people willing to buy a ticket for  every home game (even though about 10% roughly of ST holders dont turn up per matchday )
-Over the last two seasons the home average attendance has grown roughly 25% to what it was in that championship season stated above .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 164
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.