Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 273 Guests

Legacy of our FA Cup run?

This thread currently has 8,674 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 20, 2023, 10:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,900
Gold Stars: 178
Build from within. I feel the reason why the ‘home’ atmosphere is never as good is because the ones that do want the songs etc are dispersed around the ground. Also, going back to points made before, any noise that the pontoon does make, gets lost either side of the stand. Let’s get something added to the sides to keep that noise in (and create advertising space too). Bournemouth have done it and am sure it certainly ups the ante on match day.

Attachment: e458fb0ca8a1442eb77e21f49df93ee7_2633.jpeg
Size: 26.85 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
Limerick Mariner
March 20, 2023, 10:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,718
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Build from within. I feel the reason why the ‘home’ atmosphere is never as good is because the ones that do want the songs etc are dispersed around the ground. Also, going back to points made before, any noise that the pontoon does make, gets lost either side of the stand. Let’s get something added to the sides to keep that noise in (and create advertising space too). Bournemouth have done it and am sure it certainly ups the ante on match day.

I was thinking the same about Bournemouth reading the No New Stadium thread. When you see that picture - that is no bigger than a Main Stand rebuild would be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 20, 2023, 10:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,900
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I was thinking the same about Bournemouth reading the No New Stadium thread. When you see that picture - that is no bigger than a Main Stand rebuild would be.

I was thinking more Dalymount park for redevelopment would be more our size/infrastructure but Bournemouth are certainly a great blueprint to use. That stand goes the full length though and from what I remember, the ground is quite open from each side. Although, last time I went was 10 plus years ago

https://m.independent.ie/sport.....vealed-37409975.html

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
March 20, 2023, 10:48am
Guest User
Also, when considering transfer budget for next season, it’s looking likely that Wrexham will be up. And they will go bananas in the transfer market.
Reply: 33 - 71
GrimRob
March 20, 2023, 12:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mappers

I get what you mean , we should have one of the biggest based on crowds and this cup run .
BUT  you will have teams like Salford , FGR and Colchester with double our budget probably .

Looking at attendances is a bit misleading as there are more ways to earn income other than bums on seats. Especially with those clubs with new stadiums. Some clubs undoubtedly do overspend but we just reported a big loss. We still have catching up to do.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 71
DB
March 20, 2023, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
I sincerely hope the TV exposure has put Grimsby on the footballing map, as opposed to being another league 2 club. The cup run has shown we can mix it with any league 1 side, take on a very good championship side and beat a downtrodden prem side.

All those performances showed the passion and acumen of the team and, of course, let's not forget the travelling fans. The Brighton game was one too many but the team showed what they could do in the first half, a £1 million squad and a £300 million squad and there is only going to be one winner.

I think just under the play offs this season and promotion next season. We have the £1 million cup run money to bolster the squad with better players. I think future targeted players will now see what playing for Grimsby means and where we are going.

Looking to move to a new stadium is not going to happen, so it's improvements to BP that we are going to get. What we can look forward to is the new training ground, eventually, and it has been said before this is where the players do most of their work; so it has to be attractive to future signings.

So to me, the legacy of the cup run is the creation of optimism in the future. Lastly, I see THE FISHY has about 50 new members since the Southampton fixture was announced. Welcome to you all to this fantastic fans forum.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
RonMariner
March 20, 2023, 6:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,781
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GrimRob

Looking at attendances is a bit misleading as there are more ways to earn income other than bums on seats. Especially with those clubs with new stadiums. Some clubs undoubtedly do overspend but we just reported a big loss. We still have catching up to do.

Correct. A stadium with good facilities will draw in conferences, business meetings, even exhibitions and concerts. The ideas is that the stadium generates revenue on non match days. Also superior catering options will bring in more revenue, and it's possible that a better match day experience will attract bigger crowds too.

It works for other clubs why not us?  The key is to secure funding, but I am sure there are various grants available, and a new stadium location with enabling retail partners might well provide significant capital contributions towards construction costs. I am sure our owners will be on it when they think the time is right.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
Heisenberg
March 20, 2023, 7:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from moosey_club

£ 1.4m ?? I think he must have included the players cars and watches to come up with that figure of worth 😂

I’d imagine that’s purely the loan players’ parent clubs valuations!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 71
lukeo
March 21, 2023, 5:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,388
Gold Stars: 149
I'm slightly concerned people are expecting too much for next season, I've seen and heard people mention promotion. We need to be realistic. Ideally this season if we can push on and finish top 12 then we've done well. Next season for me it's about progression and aslong as we're close to the play offs with a couple of games to go it's progression. Ideally I'd love for us to be in the play offs and with the way PH works I can genuinely see that as a possibility. But, as we all know, play offs are a lottery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
DB
March 21, 2023, 6:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from lukeo
I'm slightly concerned people are expecting too much for next season, I've seen and heard people mention promotion. We need to be realistic. Ideally this season if we can push on and finish top 12 then we've done well. Next season for me it's about progression and aslong as we're close to the play offs with a couple of games to go it's progression. Ideally I'd love for us to be in the play offs and with the way PH works I can genuinely see that as a possibility. But, as we all know, play offs are a lottery.

We'd better make sure we're in the top 3.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.