Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 211 Guests

Legacy of our FA Cup run?

This thread currently has 8,673 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Simon
March 19, 2023, 7:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
I would like to think we have also increased our standing in the eyes of Premiership managers looking for a club to send out the next crop of upcoming youngsters on loan

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 71
Brighton Lurker
March 19, 2023, 8:06pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +80
Gold Stars: 5
Your legacy is the example you have made as decent, fervent and honest supporters of your club, that's from a personal point of view. You'll have made some good cash on your way and you will have made your club more attractive to players.

Jonathan Pierce said our players were worth a collective 354 mill and yours was 1.4 mill. That's just crazy. We were the 1.4 mill 20 years ago. It takes time, but with the right direction and the right owners all can aspire to be like us. Believe me, we still find it hard to understand where we are now. I would say we still have our past first and foremost ( I'm 58 ) and although we support a Prem club we still keep our mentality truly humble from our past. When I think that we have 11 internationals on duty this week, 2 who should be in the England squad if Southgate wasn't such a ******* (Dunk and March), one world cup winner, it's complete madness for a Brighton supporter. I wouldn't have dreamt this even 10 years ago, I'd have had to given my head a wobble. It is possible guys, you just have to dream that dream.

I wish you all the best and will lurk here every now and then and watch for your results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 71
SouthLakesMariner
March 19, 2023, 8:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +938
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Brighton Lurker
Your legacy is the example you have made as decent, fervent and honest supporters of your club, that's from a personal point of view. You'll have made some good cash on your way and you will have made your club more attractive to players.

Jonathan Pierce said our players were worth a collective 354 mill and yours was 1.4 mill. That's just crazy. We were the 1.4 mill 20 years ago. It takes time, but with the right direction and the right owners all can aspire to be like us. Believe me, we still find it hard to understand where we are now. I would say we still have our past first and foremost ( I'm 58 ) and although we support a Prem club we still keep our mentality truly humble from our past. When I think that we have 11 internationals on duty this week, 2 who should be in the England squad if Southgate wasn't such a ******* (Dunk and March), one world cup winner, it's complete madness for a Brighton supporter. I wouldn't have dreamt this even 10 years ago, I'd have had to given my head a wobble. It is possible guys, you just have to dream that dream.

I wish you all the best and will lurk here every now and then and watch for your results.

You’ll be welcome and I hope you have an FA Cup win to add to your club’s journey.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 71
jamesgtfc
March 19, 2023, 8:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,031
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Simon
I would like to think we have also increased our standing in the eyes of Premiership managers looking for a club to send out the next crop of upcoming youngsters on loan

I think this is important. I'm not sure about what Southampton are building, but they have had a decent conveyor belt of youth talent for a number of years (Ward-Prowse, Walcott, Bale).

I think Luton is a good business model to aspire to and we seemingly have a bit of a relationship there anyway, but Brighton seem to do a lot of good on and off the pitch; Mitoma a steal at £2.5m. Hopefully, Messrs Stockwood and Pettit have built some good relationships, that would have been otherwise impossible, during this cup run to help shape what we do going forwards.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 71
HertsGTFC
March 19, 2023, 9:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Where do we start? Money, profile, engagement, unity, good will, improved attention from agents, kudos from opposing supporters, there’s probably a few other things.

Maybe the biggest thing is that it shows that we’ve moved on and now GTFC is something positive to be involved with.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 71
acko338
March 19, 2023, 9:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
I hope that GTFC can enhance their sweep for new rough diamonds to develop, and young footballers who don't get taken on from the Premier and Championship teams after YTS or apprenticeship schemes.

We won't have huge amounts for signing on schemes, so the way forward will revolve around the player trawl that the Head of Recruitment can put in front of Paul Hurst.

My question would be how far afield this Head will be searching?

Are we considering the Scottish, Irish and Welsh Leagues, and would Town consider players from Europe, Iceland etc?

We've got a New Zealand keeper, and previously had an assistant from Australia, so how far will Town be searching?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 71
RichMariner
March 19, 2023, 9:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,145
Gold Stars: 209
The guy who stuck two past us today was found in Ireland as a 16-year-old.

It's one thing spotting talent; it's another improving it so they can realise their potential. I think that's where we've fallen in the past. We've had one or two really promising youngsters but not had the training facilities or the coaching set-up to take them onto the next level.

We just can't give youngsters like that everything they need to really push on. It's true that a lot of it is pure ability, but the game is full of stories where talent ends up in non-league while less talented players act like true pros and enjoy a good career in the FL.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 71
Lord Gadiform
March 19, 2023, 9:55pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +114
Gold Stars: 5
The legacy for me is that Hurst will know the players in this squad inside out. They’ve been tested against better teams. He’ll know their attitude, who the leaders are, who can develop, who can improve, who can maintain standards and all those other cliches we hear.

He’ll know who he can base the team around next year. It might be 2, it might be 10. I’m totally guessing but seeing who’s been trusted to do media stuff recently  I reckon he’s got a lot of trust in Waterfall, Holohan, Maher, Clifton and maybe Michee as a minimum.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 71
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 19, 2023, 10:03pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from acko338
I hope that GTFC can enhance their sweep for new rough diamonds to develop, and young footballers who don't get taken on from the Premier and Championship teams after YTS or apprenticeship schemes.

We won't have huge amounts for signing on schemes, so the way forward will revolve around the player trawl that the Head of Recruitment can put in front of Paul Hurst.

My question would be how far afield this Head will be searching?

Are we considering the Scottish, Irish and Welsh Leagues, and would Town consider players from Europe, Iceland etc?

We've got a New Zealand keeper, and previously had an assistant from Australia, so how far will Town be searching?

You would naturally think that a Head of Recruitment at our level would be covering the UK and Ireland, but knowing where we got him from, you would like to think that he may have contacts further afield that may be utilised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 71
TuckerJenkins
March 19, 2023, 10:28pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +67
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Lord Gadiform
The legacy for me is that Hurst will know the players in this squad inside out. They’ve been tested against better teams. He’ll know their attitude, who the leaders are, who can develop, who can improve, who can maintain standards and all those other cliches we hear.

He’ll know who he can base the team around next year. It might be 2, it might be 10. I’m totally guessing but seeing who’s been trusted to do media stuff recently  I reckon he’s got a lot of trust in Waterfall, Holohan, Maher, Clifton and maybe Michee as a minimum.

I'd like to think that the players have bonded with the supporters as well more than in a typical season. It's been an astonishing 12 months. I know they all have their own careers to think of, but I hope they'll want to stay here if they get the opportunity and see if the next chapter is half as exciting as the last one.

I can't wait for Season 2 (or it is 3?)

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.