Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 107 Guests

No new stadium

This thread currently has 17,918 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
March 19, 2023, 5:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If a new ground means waiting like this for a train every home game I’d rather stay at BP thanks

But also it would mean more facilities for fans stay on at the stadium for an hour so and capture a bit more spend I’m still in the Amex - still a few Towns here at  nearly 5.30.

A new stadium for a club like us needs a competent council to help make a Community Stadium happen and not just land. It needs serious grant funding. At the moment a lot of councils can’t even deliver basic services.

We need to get BP to about 10 - 11k capacity for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 194
IlkleyMariner
March 19, 2023, 5:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
I would welcome a statement saying we Will develop the ground to 10-11,000 capacity including upgrades.

At the present we have a statement from the council saying no new ground and a statement from the club saying nothing.

Maybe a case of burying bad/no news whils a quarter final is being played?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 194
dwayne
March 19, 2023, 5:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -2
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If a new ground means waiting like this for a train every home game I’d rather stay at BP thanks

Welcome to big crowds. 30k  people leaving at the same time. How many stadiums have a train station right outside there ground? An hour is reasonable for that size crowd

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 194
NorthLondonMariner
March 19, 2023, 5:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Yes, we do need a new ground. But in the short/medium term id rather we put everything into becoming a League 1 side competing for the playoffs. I am happy for us to stay at BP until that happens.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 194
grimps
March 20, 2023, 10:12am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,157
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mappers

You could argue though the majority of those 'lesser clubs ' have adequate but souless ,non armospheric stadiums for example :
Colchester (as above )
Burton
Shrewsbury
Oxford
Barnet
Boston
Been to all those and havent been that impressed ,obviously all done on a tight budget and just about functional but not much else .

The thing is Rotherham , Hull , Bradford , Brentford ect we’re lesser clubs than us 25 years ago when it become obvious that we needed a new ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 194
MarinerDevil
March 20, 2023, 11:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,809
Gold Stars: 80
I personally think we missed the boat when it comes to benefitting from a new ground. The period from the late 90s until around 2010 was the ideal time to do it when enabling retail developments were still profitable and the increase in revenue made it worthwhile.

But if you look at the situation now, with soaring construction costs and a fragile economy, it's very difficult to see how it would benefit us at all to build from scratch. We would almost certainly be paying rent or interest on debt that would eat into our budget for everything else. Would the potential increase in revenue make up for that? I think the owners' stance on the issue suggests that they don't think so.

But it is clear that something needs to happen as BP in its current state won't be suitable for the sustainable League One club that we are aspiring to become.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 194
White_shorts
March 20, 2023, 5:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Long term and not the priority, as long as you haven’t been living under a rock for the last 12 months the board have been clear on this.

I think everyone is aware a new stadium is "not a priority" for the owners.

I would just like them to answer these questions:

Do they seriously think the club can have a long-term future at BP?
Do they not understand the ground is not full for every game because most people dislike the Main Stand?
Will the council grant permission for new stands on the site?
Do they not think a Freemo arena would have been absolutely wonderful?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 20, 2023, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from White_shorts

Do they not understand the ground is not full for every game because most people dislike the Main Stand?

I have 2 questions for you.

What research has been conducted to prove that most people dislike the Main Stand?

Are you one of the enrolled Freemen?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 194
March 20, 2023, 6:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from White_shorts

No

More likely it's the sh1t home form

Ask the council

A free Freemo arena would be well wonderful

What if they replied thus?
Reply: 48 - 194
realist
March 20, 2023, 6:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I have never had a proper explanation of what a community stadium is. Can someone enlighten me please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 194
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.