Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 87 Guests

No new stadium

This thread currently has 17,915 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
April 6, 2023, 12:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I dont know why some people call the STH who have paid thier money up front and do not attend all the games.

They have given Hursty a pot of money at the begining of the season so he will have a better chance of knowing who he can afford to sign or not sign.

Thats as long as they want to come here.

If they dont then we do not want them anyway.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 194
TheFryingSquad
April 6, 2023, 4:59am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from grimsby pete
I dont know why some people call the STH who have paid thier money up front and do not attend all the games.

They have given Hursty a pot of money at the begining of the season so he will have a better chance of knowing who he can afford to sign or not sign.

The key word is in your first sentence, ‘some’, it applies both ways too, ‘some’ people and ‘some’ season ticket holders.  Let’s be clear before I jump onto my well trodden soap box, I’m not a season ticket holder quite simply because I don’t live in the area.

The issue, continuing with the ‘some’ theme is that, some season ticket holders seem to hold the opinion that they’re ‘super-fans’ and that the club plus casual/pay on the days should be eternally indebted.

I acknowledge that those who pay upfront should rightfully be rewarded for their commitment in the form of limited discounts, seat choice and favourable treatment in ticket allocation for premium fixtures.  The club relies on their support because of the cash-flow benefits and subsequent reduction in commercial borrowing costs.  However, and this is the elephant in the room, those who choose to pay for a season ticket on an instalment basis or who have received further benefit through concession shouldn’t receive the same status, quite frankly and whilst still welcome, the impact of their commitment is less.

The Club doesn’t get any real benefit from the legions of exiles that attend far more away games than home, but that isn’t the fault of the exiles, they still spend considerable sums supporting the club yet receive no recognition beyond reference in interviews.  

Of course and as ever, the system conspires against fairness, the home club is the only beneficiary of away support for league games.  It would be much fairer for visiting clubs to receive an equal share, after expenses, of away support revenues.  This would perhaps encourage clubs to introduce schemes whereby exiles can receive tangible recognition for their loyalty, instead of being ignored when availability issues or premium games occur.  But I’m not holding my breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 194
Mappers
April 6, 2023, 6:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,504
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from grimsby pete

Exactly Pete buying one and not going is surely as high a dedication as going to all 23 games .

I mean hell if you can buy one and dont go to 1 of  23 games thats commitment

Just make sure to release the seat lol

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 194
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2023, 6:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,009
Gold Stars: 228
This is a thread that truly defines this board. We couldn’t afford a new ground at the start of it and still can’t on page 17, what’s going on here I always thought we had the answer to everything.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 194
DB
April 6, 2023, 6:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm no apologist for the council, but they had no choice really.

They couldn't just let the centre of town die on it's ar$e.

It died years ago when out of town shopping became popular, followed by Internet shopping. Some months ago I read that, in Dundee I think, they tried to sell a shopping centre for £1 and had no takers. Freshney Place and others like it killed the old fashioned  High Street and now it is their turn to be killed off. I liked it when it was new with big names etc. but the House of Fraser has been empty for some time now and others have left as mentioned in the GT.

It's a bit like our Main Stand, the old has had its day.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 194
aldi_01
April 6, 2023, 7:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The council were always portrayed as the bad guy in Fenty’s quest for a stadium but in their defence, the plots he was desperate for weren’t the right spaces and I’d imagine, having spent some time with him, they realised that allowing that idiot anywhere near a project of that size was a flipping recipe for disaster.

Christ on a bike, he and his flipping idiot cronies thought Extreme Leisure were a good outfit…did they ever deliver on that project Mr Shut up told us about?

We haven’t the money, our current owners are unlikely to borrow that sum simply to appease a few fans who get their knickers in a twist about a new ground. I’ve no doubt it’s been a discussion and they’re well aware BP isn’t modern nor really efficient anymore but they’re also well aware that other things are important, that some TLC at least helps it out (the other idiot spent zero on it really, allowing it to go to wrack and ruin simply because he was the only moron convinced we were getting a new ground).

I suspect this conversation will happen every few months and most of us will say the same, time and time again…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 194
Yarborough Vaults
April 6, 2023, 8:22am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Buying a ST in a prime spot and then not going to matches is just like putting a towel on a sunbed first thing and then doing something else for the day instead of using it.

Now I'm among many forced to sit in the shade near the bins while looking wistfully at an empty lounger by the pool!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 194
rancido
April 6, 2023, 8:41am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,656
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
Buying a ST in a prime spot and then not going to matches is just like putting a towel on a sunbed first thing and then doing something else for the day instead of using it.

Now I'm among many forced to sit in the shade near the bins while looking wistfully at an empty lounger by the pool!

The difference is that you have PAID for that ST spot and it is up to you how much you use it. Sunbeds at hotels are usually free. If you go on any beach in the regular Spanish resorts you will see 'paid for' sunbeds with towels and the occupants nowhere to be seen - they could be going for a swim, at a bar or just gone shopping.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 194
Maringer
April 6, 2023, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,675
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from DB

It died years ago when out of town shopping became popular, followed by Internet shopping. Some months ago I read that, in Dundee I think, they tried to sell a shopping centre for £1 and had no takers. Freshney Place and others like it killed the old fashioned  High Street and now it is their turn to be killed off. I liked it when it was new with big names etc. but the House of Fraser has been empty for some time now and others have left as mentioned in the GT.

It's a bit like our Main Stand, the old has had its day.

Ah, best just give it up as a bad job then. I'm sure all the people who work in the shops will be able to find something to do with their free time. Their kids will have Mummy and Daddy at home a lot more which will no doubt make up for the increased amount of poverty they experience. Same goes for all the cafes/restaurants/pubs, which will no longer be needed due to lack of footfall. I suppose we could set up some really big soup kitchens in Freshney Place so the space doesn't go entirely to waste?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 194
diehardmariner
April 6, 2023, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
What this thread has done is emphasised that moving stadium isn't really an option, be that anymore or just for now.  

Realistically though redeveloping BP is going to a long old slog.  Let's be really honest about it, none of the four stands are really fit for purpose anymore.  If the option was there we could replace them all.  

I think it's fair to say that filling in the corners is likely to be the immediate focus, potentially the one between the Pontoon and the Main first for obvious reasons. But unless it's a separate entity, it'll be attached to one, possibly two, stands that you'll want to replace anyway.  

We want to increase capacity, I think we can all agree on that. But we've also this huge issue that whilst we can fill in the corners comparatively easily, we'll still have to replace the other four stands at some point.  It's not just about capacity in those stands, they're on their bottom.  The facilities, the infrastructure of them...everything is just dated.  In the case of the Main especially but definitely for them all, they're just going to get more and more expensive to maintain.

At some point we'll lose capacity, short-term anyway, whilst we have to rebuild those stands - or seriously renovate them anyway.  To me that makes it even more essential that we absolutely bleed dry every single space we've got in the ground to get some capacity in there, because the moment we lose the Main Stand we're 1800 seats down straight away.  Sure we can then rebuild that and maybe even increase the capacity on it to 3000, but I'd imagine the plan is then to gain as much income as possible to then rebuild the Pontoon, or the Osmond...or the Findus...

If we're staying at BP, this could be very, very slow progress.
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 194
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.