8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
February 7, 2023, 9:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,477
Gold Stars: 536
Outstanding management once again. He gets his fair share of doubters- some unwarranted critics- but he is incresible at motivating and playing the way we need too in these big games.

Hats off to you Paul
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
February 7, 2023, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
E lad that bloke from Rotherum nors what ees doin.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 77
geir
February 7, 2023, 9:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

El General and your team! We salute you!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 77
Swansea_Mariner
February 7, 2023, 10:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Well done Hursty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 77
chicaneuk
February 7, 2023, 10:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
He absolutely deserves a break (again) from the criticism he's been taking lately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 77
moosey_club
February 7, 2023, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,277
Gold Stars: 226
Excellent approach, spot on tactics given the squad available...

Backed up by committed players who gave their everything .

Still in shock.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 77
Teestogreen
February 7, 2023, 10:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
I don’t know how Paul does - as sometimes he has baffled me with some of the selections - but the underlying  feeling for me is that he is doing a fantastic job - even from the point of joining us from Boston United. Just keep on doing it Paul please 🤙

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 77
BenBB
February 7, 2023, 10:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from DB
E lad that bloke from Rotherum nors what ees doin.

Are they lyrics out of an old-school (when they were good) Arctic Monkeys song?

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 77
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 7, 2023, 10:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Just a reminder that Paul is…

1. Tactically inept

2. Yoda(!): To me Hurst has no interest some of us never wanted him back. Ipswich fans voted him their worst ever manager and he’s not far off being ours

3. I don’t know who appointed him fenty or the new guys but by fook it was a lazy appointment of a manager on the way down. Perhaps some on here still believe the rebuilding crap if you do think about the substitutions today even those with limited knowledge of footy surely didn’t get that.  I don’t know who should replace him but I do know he should be sacked

4. Hurst is yesterdays man. Too much emphasis on players attitude and keeping harmony in the camp.

5. Not a motivator

6. Midget n’er has n’er was. Short arms, deep pockets. Short arms, deep pockets. Short arms, deep pockets.

7. This is worse than when Fenty was in chage. balderdash to this fancy scotch egg and over priced beer thing.  WE WANT A TEAM . NOT A NEARLY TEAM .

8. I sense now that the majority of the fans are now wanting Hurst gone. Hopefully the Chairmen will see sense soon ready to for a better season 2022-2023. A season without negative clueless Hurst.

9. But if you think that we should stick with a manager that is on course to give us our worst ever position in the football pyramid having had 3 transfer windows and used every excuse under the sun to detract from the fact that he got us relegated, then I'm absolutely shocked. Hurst has been a total failure this time around and doesn't deserve to be given another summer of 10+ signings to see if he can do better than the garbage he's unearthed so far.

10. Hurst came back thinking he was a god,shite on many many people in his time and now managers are knocking on Jason’s door.We need promotion not need relegation.Please Jason and Debbie plz sack manager. When Paul hurst first got the job as manager he did some stirring and a staff member lost their job.Hardworking my behind doigy does the majority. We need to be out of this league and we are still losing games,games we should not be losing.We need a new manager a quick.

11. (Morris’ Minors) Why anybody would want to lay out their hard-earned cash to watch this bunch of misfits is beyond me.
2 wins from 14 games are diabolical.
No manager would survive those results except our Mr Hurst.
Still, as long as we keep us shape the fans will be happy.
We are sailing into the Bermuda Triangle and are in danger of disappearing altogether just like the fans will do when they finally wake up and smell the coffee!
Supported GTFC for over 70 years and this is the worse I can remember. We have never been so low in the pyramid as we will end up this season.
No idea, no plan B, not a clue.
Does Chris Doig know where he and the Chuckle Brother is going next? Oh, he'll be the last to know.
Anyway rant over, but things need to change ASAP, following our next defeat at Wrexham. That will be 2 wins from 15 then.

…you get the drift.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 77
DB
February 7, 2023, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BenBB

Are they lyrics out of an old-school (when they were good) Arctic Monkeys song?

Noo lad twere out o my gob connecting to mi grey matter what putem on ere.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 77
ginnywings
February 7, 2023, 10:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
About time he was cut some slack. He's given us more memorable days and nights than any manager has for a very long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 77
HertsGTFC
February 7, 2023, 10:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Reading a book by a guy called Simon Sinek called “Start  with Why” there’s loads of stuff in it about leadership which sounds like it’s written about Hurst.

Proper manager who deserves the plaudits once again.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 77
LH
February 7, 2023, 11:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,558
Gold Stars: 174
This will be unpopular amongst some but please read the statement in full before you judge it:

I started watching Town in 1996 and I think in my time he might have now surpassed Buckley. Two promotions, five finals, FA Cup third and fifth rounds, some of the best goal scorers we’ve had in the time I’ve been watching them and some matches like tonight that we’ll remember for a long time. He’s done a lot of this under the old regime too.

He’s amongst the contenders for our best manager ever (granted that might be controversial).
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 77
crusty ole pie
February 7, 2023, 11:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,380
Gold Stars: 66
Not at all his record is so impressive and the quiet and dignified way he does it is an example that should be admired
PAUL HURST BLACK AND WHITE ARMY
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 77
toontown
February 8, 2023, 12:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LH
This will be unpopular amongst some but please read the statement in full before you judge it:

I started watching Town in 1996 and I think in my time he might have now surpassed Buckley. Two promotions, five finals, FA Cup third and fifth rounds, some of the best goal scorers we’ve had in the time I’ve been watching them and some matches like tonight that we’ll remember for a long time. He’s done a lot of this under the old regime too.

He’s amongst the contenders for our best manager ever (granted that might be controversial).

I applaud hursty as a successful manager but he isn't on a par with Sir Alan yet- his promotions have been from NL twice as opposed to league 2 twice and league 2 once. Also the football played under Sir Alan was revelatory. We were playing teams 3 leagues above us and we were playing the better football. Sir Alan made me the football fan I am today.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 77
forza ivano
February 8, 2023, 12:29am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,263
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from toontown

I applaud hursty as a successful manager but he isn't on a par with Sir Alan yet- his promotions have been from NL twice as opposed to league 2 twice and league 2 once. Also the football played under Sir Alan was revelatory. We were playing teams 3 leagues above us and we were playing the better football. Sir Alan made me the football fan I am today.

have to agree with that, although tbf hurst has took us from such low bases, twice over, that he's got be rivalling Sir Lawrie in the top 5?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 77
LH
February 8, 2023, 12:31am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,558
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from toontown

Did you read the first paragraph?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 77
Limerick Mariner
February 8, 2023, 2:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,716
Gold Stars: 137
Has led us to eight knock-out victories out of the last nine ties, has any other GTFC manager got that kind of record? In nearly all of those (save Solihull? and Burton) we've been the outsiders with the bookies. He's become a master tactician at using our limited resources for one-off games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 77
chaos33
February 8, 2023, 3:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,970
Gold Stars: 360
I suppose I might add that some of the perpetually negative, daft, moaning numptys who appear when things are tough and spout a load of cobblers go quiet at times like this, when the club pulls together and presents itself with honest, humble pride and togetherness. Sure, people are always more quick to complain than they are to praise and thank, but I reckon, on occasions like tonight, there are some who are conspicuous by their absence. It’s weird in the sense that some seem much more satisfied and ‘happy’ when they’re moaning and angry, than by the actual happy times of honest toil and victory and best efforts. You know who you are.

UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 77
monkeyboy
February 8, 2023, 4:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
no hes still got some way to go to match sir alan. gets us into the championship and hes nailed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 77
aldi_01
February 8, 2023, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The interesting thing about the naysayers when it comes to Hurst is that they often fail to provide an actual reason as to why they don’t think he’s very good…

Hurst is one promotion away from being the best town manager ever. Lord Buckley will always be the Lord, all clubs have a manager like that but Hurst has taken Town from the abyss twice. I know some will point to a relegation but anyone with half a brain knee we were down well before Hurst came back.

People often try and say he’s too pragmatic or sometimes negative but then fail to recognise games like last night or Wrexham, Chesterfield etc. all games where we took it to teams and won, deservedly so.

The club is rising again and whilst we may have to settle for consolidation in the league, a great cup run has been something unseen for many a year and financially puts us in a good position…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 77
grimsby pete
February 8, 2023, 6:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,803
Gold Stars: 222
He has got 2 promotions from the conference for us and now this excellent cup run.

Another promotion to L1 and he will equal Sir Alan get us into the championship and he will be Sir Paul best manager by far when you factor all the trips to Wembley into the equation.

After all the years under Fenty it's just great having the feel good feeling in the club and the fans.

Not only Paul but we have to thank Jason and Anthony for making it happen.

Now Wrexham are out the cup we might get a bit of coverage on TV and in the press saying what a well run club we are.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 77
GrimRob
February 8, 2023, 7:26am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Hurst has had to operate in the post Bosman era so literally has had to build a new team every season, sometimes more than once. Buckley brought some great players when he first came but had the luxury of being able to keep them for years or sell them for large sums. He kept signing the same set of players all his career and was never very good at bringing in new ones after that first group.

Buckley was able to pluck the best players from non league because he knew about them. You had to travel to games to watch players. Technology was non existent. Now everybody has access to the same information and low hanging fruit are much harder to find.

Finally the standard. League 2/Division 4 used to be the bottom of the professional game. Now 22 out of 24 teams in the National League are full time and many teams in the levels below too. The standard is vastly higher at our level than it was in the 80s and 90s.

Hurst has built multiple great teams. We have been in so many finals and had a few cup runs. He did brilliantly at Shrewsbury as well. True greatness is to be able to repeat and better your great achievements. Every Beethoven symphony was better than the previous one.

He's "us" best ever manager.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 77
GTFC_85
February 8, 2023, 7:34am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 3
I spoke with my mate last night and he made a very very good point. We've not finished higher than 14th since 2006 season. Factor in the playoffs last year, this season's cup run, the feel good factor with new owners. If Hurst finishes 13th that is absolute progress given where we have been for almost 2 decades.

Let's not forget the new squad hes had to put together this season. Like the owners, improve day by day, slowly week by week. We know football is a results business, but I for one am pleased how the board didn't jump to rasu decisions when we went on that terrible run in NL, and this season without an away win in 3 months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 77
HertsGTFC
February 8, 2023, 8:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
There's plenty to know about Hurst based on last night and his time with us, when you quantify it the passage you could write is quite long winded.

We've just beaten a really good side in the cup and face a difficult league game on Saturday, where all 3 goal scorers from the previous league game can come in alongside a right back who is a level above what we have, that's building a squad which is what really good managers do.

In Hurst we trust, what's more important is that in Hurst the players trust.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 77
Jarmo.Is.God
February 8, 2023, 8:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
In all seriouness, i fully expected a 4-0 defeat at Luton.
We played superb, and got what we deserved.
I fully expected a 3-0 defeat last night.... instead, they all became hero's and will be remembered for a long time, including PH who deserves all the plaudits he's getting.

Let's not forget this when we lose our next league game.

However, it was still a horrible transfer window  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 77
Maringer
February 8, 2023, 8:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,624
Gold Stars: 185
I think Buckley still edges it for me (at the moment) due to the sheer quality of the football we played back in his first two spells at the club. However, I don't think Buckleyball has been possible in the modern era for lower division clubs. The newer generations of players have been getting bigger than their predecessors, sports science improvements have led them to become faster and fitter and there just isn't the space to play the sort of  expansive Buckley-style football we used to enjoy. The top level players are skilful enough to play the game to an incredible standard, the lower divisions play a hard and fast game where time on the ball is at a premium.

I'm encouraged that Hurst wants his teams to play decent football but we have to be pragmatic as well and realise that long throws and set pieces have a big role to play as Maher showed last night.

After two good 3-0 victories in a week, with greatly-changed teams, let's hope we've got the confidence to repeat it at the weekend and try to push our way up the table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 77
mariner83
February 8, 2023, 9:15am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Quoted from aldi_01

Hurst is one promotion away from being the best town manager ever. Lord Buckley will always be the Lord, all clubs have a manager like that but Hurst has taken Town from the abyss twice. I know some will point to a relegation but anyone with half a brain knew we were down well before Hurst came back.

I'm convinced if we'd had another 4 matches that season, Scunny would've gone down instead of us.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 77
The_Laughing_Mariner
February 8, 2023, 9:28am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
At half time in that Exeter match we were safe and sunny down.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 77
RonMariner
February 8, 2023, 9:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,777
Pondering who is the best? Tough choice, but a great dilemma to have!

I am sure other clubs will be looking at Hurst now, and I hope that the new owners, and the new funds, will mean that we can keep him. I firmly believe he can get us into League one within the next couple of years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 77
OddShapedBalls
February 8, 2023, 9:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Has led us to eight knock-out victories out of the last nine ties, has any other GTFC manager got that kind of record? In nearly all of those (save Solihull? and Burton) we've been the outsiders with the bookies. He's become a master tactician at using our limited resources for one-off games.

Absolutely mate - Listening to the post match interview from the Luton chap El General knew exactly what game plan his troops needed to win and so did Luton, they just couldn't stop it! - lots of changes in the Luton team from a previously settled starting 11 meant they'd be disjointed first half but grow into it later on, and they weren't ready for a blistering start from Town who took the game to them when they were vulnerable.  Hursty seems to have an ability to get the players to raise their overall game for knock-out ties and I honestly think our lads just wanted it more.  Which is fair enough if we we're knocking on the door of the prem would we be fully focused on the FA Cup? I doubt it.  The blessings of being mid table lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 77
Rick12
February 8, 2023, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Hursty seems to have an ability to get the players to raise their overall game for knock-out ties and I honestly think our lads just wanted it more.  Which is fair enough if we we're knocking on the door of the prem would we be fully focused on the FA Cup? I doubt it.  The blessings of being mid table lol
In many ways this club reminds me of the likes of Sunderland( brilliant series on  Netflix eg Sunderland till I die)   and Liverpool . Very working class where the club means a lot to the people in the area.  The players pick up on that passion in the crowd which helps raise their game eg on magical nights like yesterday. Pleased for Hurst though that he achieved a great result last night though. Long may in continue. But as in anything in football as in life there's always room for improvement.

UTM

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 77
Manchester Mariner
February 8, 2023, 9:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,820
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from aldi_01
The interesting thing about the naysayers when it comes to Hurst is that they often fail to provide an actual reason as to why they don’t think he’s very good…

They're probably the same people with hurt feelings that he cupped his hands to his ears at Wembley.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 77
RonMariner
February 8, 2023, 9:50am

Special Brew Drinker
With MacAtee and the new signings coming back into the squad for Saturday  Hurst has a huge problem.

Who on earth do you play? Can't drop Orsi surely, and what about LLoyd, Emmanuel and MacAtee? Who would you drop to make way for them?

Tough choices. But what a great problem to have.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 77
Poojah
February 8, 2023, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,646
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from RonMariner
With MacAtee and the new signings coming back into the squad for Saturday  Hurst has a huge problem.

Who on earth do you play? Can't drop Orsi surely, and what about LLoyd, Emmanuel and MacAtee? Who would you drop to make way for them?

Town overloaded with in form, attacking players. Have I slipped into some sort of parallel universe?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 77
TheRealJohnLewis
February 8, 2023, 9:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from RonMariner

McAtee!
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 77
RonMariner
February 8, 2023, 10:12am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Town overloaded with in form, attacking players. Have I slipped into some sort of parallel universe?

Yes. I know that for a fact because I find myself there too.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 77
DaleH
February 8, 2023, 10:12am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +815
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from LH

I am a massive massive Paul Hurst fan, and I think your post makes for an interesting and healthy debate.

I am full of admiration for Paul, but I wouldn't be able to agree that he has now surpassed Alan Buckley. For me, Bucko stays ahead of Paul at this moment in time, for the dizzy heights that he got us to. And, as much as I enjoy watching Paul's teams too, the brand of passing football that Alan got his teams to produce, week in and week out, at such high levels; means he would have to get my vote at the moment.

But Paul still has time on his side to take us even higher, and then it wouldn't be out of the question that I then put him alongside Sir Alan, or even perhaps slightly above him.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 77
Poojah
February 8, 2023, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DaleH

I am a massive massive Paul Hurst fan, and I think your post makes for an interesting and healthy debate.

I am full of admiration for Paul, but I wouldn't be able to agree that he has now surpassed Alan Buckley. For me, Bucko stays ahead of Paul at this moment in time, for the dizzy heights that he got us to. And, as much as I enjoy watching Paul's teams too, the brand of passing football that Alan got his teams to produce, week in and week out, at such high levels; means he would have to get my vote at the moment.

But Paul still has time on his side to take us even higher, and then it wouldn't be out of the question that I then put him alongside Sir Alan, or even perhaps slightly above him.

Yep, in my lifetime Alan Buckley remains the undisputed number one for the time being, with Hurst a respectable but distant second. It’s a cliff drop from there; I’m not sure I’d even know where to start.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 77
RonMariner
February 8, 2023, 10:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

McAtee!

Sorry. I am so worked up that I am not thinking straight. Plus I am a bit dyslexic too. But I should at least be able to  spell his name!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 77
forza ivano
February 8, 2023, 10:36am

Exile
Quoted from Poojah

Yep, in my lifetime Alan Buckley remains the undisputed number one for the time being, with Hurst a respectable but distant second. It’s a cliff drop from there; I’m not sure I’d even know where to start.

Lawrie mac, Allenby Chilton for starters?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 77
Poojah
February 8, 2023, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

I was born in the mid-80s, so both a little before my time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 77
RonMariner
February 8, 2023, 10:39am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Bill Shankly?

George Kerr maybe?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 77
DB
February 8, 2023, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
There are somewhere in excess of 700+ teams who enter the FA Cup. There are now 700+ managers, including some from the prem, green with envy, looking up to those last 16 in the competition.

Paul Hurst is one of the last 16 managers on merit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 77
buckstown
February 8, 2023, 5:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,185
Gold Stars: 79
Quite interesting in his post match, talked about the support, particularly away and how he tried to convince people to join us in the window
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 77
grimps
February 8, 2023, 5:46pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from aldi_01

Hurst is one promotion away from being the best town manager ever. Lord Buckley will always be the Lord, all clubs have a manager like that but Hurst has taken Town from the abyss twice. I know some will point to a relegation but anyone with half a brain knee we were down well before Hurst came back.

People often try and say he’s too pragmatic or sometimes negative but then fail to recognise games like last night or Wrexham, Chesterfield etc. all games where we took it to teams and won, deservedly so.

The club is rising again and whilst we may have to settle for consolidation in the league, a great cup run has been something unseen for many a year and financially puts us in a good position…

I remember Buckley had plenty of doubters even after two promotions and several cup runs .
He was fortunate it was the pre-internet days but I can remember lots of Town fans whinging about his type of ‘ Tippy Tappy Football ‘
Hurst is a Grimsby legend , in 10 or 20 years he’ll he remembered as an even bigger legend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 77
forza ivano
February 8, 2023, 6:15pm

Exile
Quoted from buckstown
Quite interesting in his post match, talked about the support, particularly away and how he tried to convince people to join us in the window

don't remember that bit - got  a link?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 77
Mariner_501
February 8, 2023, 6:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +224
Gold Stars: 28
He’d have to get us to league one and keep us there to be in the same category as Buckley. But after Buckley he’s the second best manager in my lifetime, albeit there isn’t much to choose from
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 77
Spurn boy
February 8, 2023, 6:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Approval: +1,264
Whichever way you look at it , I believe we are privileged to have had both Alan Buckley and Paul Hurst as our manager. Buckley’s team played tight pretty football and scored the majority of their goals from inside the penalty areas whilst Hurst’s teams are a bit more adventurous and score goals from anywhere.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 77
Poojah
February 8, 2023, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Spurn boy
Whichever way you look at it , I believe we are privileged to have had both Alan Buckley and Paul Hurst as our manager. Buckley’s team played tight pretty football and scored the majority of their goals from inside the penalty areas whilst Hurst’s teams are a bit more adventurous and score goals from anywhere.

Begs the question; what the fúck did we do to deserve all the fúckers in between?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 77
Spurn boy
February 8, 2023, 7:43pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Approval: +1,264
Agree, we went off the rails a bit during them times, as the saying goes If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 77
buckstown
February 8, 2023, 7:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

don't remember that bit - got  a link?

About 5:30 in
https://marinerstv.co.uk/player/0_213k0zav
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
buckstown
February 8, 2023, 7:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Apologies, you need to log in to Mariners TV
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
February 8, 2023, 7:57pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid
Outstanding management once again. He gets his fair share of doubters- some unwarranted critics- but he is incresible at motivating and playing the way we need too in these big games.

Hats off to you Paul

We're lucky to have him.
Reply: 53 - 77
jamesgtfc
February 8, 2023, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,028
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from buckstown
Apologies, you need to log in to Mariners TV

Why should a basic thing like a post match interview be behind a pay wall?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
ginnywings
February 8, 2023, 10:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Why should a basic thing like a post match interview be behind a pay wall?

Probably exclusive content for Mariners TV subscribers?

There is a post match interview for general consumption on RH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
sam gy
February 9, 2023, 11:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 55
One more thing to add with regards to PH.

At a base level, It's nice to just have a manager who seems....like a really sound bloke? so many managers come across as absolute n*bheads. And we've certainly had a few of them.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2023, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Probably exclusive content for Mariners TV subscribers?

There is a post match interview for general consumption on RH.

At the start of the season they put a pre-match interview behind the pay wall. It was a video so I thought I would watch it.

But it was just the same interview with Matt Dean but 10 minutes instead of 20.

Highlights should be free for all.
Player interviews when they sign should be free for all.
Pre and post match interviews should be free for all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
ginnywings
February 9, 2023, 5:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc

At the start of the season they put a pre-match interview behind the pay wall. It was a video so I thought I would watch it.

But there has to be some exclusive content, otherwise why pay for Mariners TV if you can access the content for free?

You seem to have a gripe about everything the club do, but at least you have moved on from moaning about the advertising revenue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2023, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

But there has to be some exclusive content, otherwise why pay for Mariners TV if you can access the content for free?

You seem to have a gripe about everything the club do, but at least you have moved on from moaning about the advertising revenue.

Pre/post match interviews with a BBC journalist - not exclusive.

Interviews with new signings - shouldn't be exclusive.

Highlights - Matchday Moments is a great piece of creative content that should be showed off to the world.

The interviews with returning legends, "day in the life" kind of series and training videos, no issues with these being charged for.

I don't complain about "everything" but I think the departure of our Head of Commercial suggests the club weren't impressed with the department either. I'm so sorry for wanting the club to be the best it can be.

Our ticket system is a joke, hopefully we are on with improving that this summer.

There is a lot of good however, we are finally getting the coaching/support setup that we need to put us on a par with rivals. We are holding on to our young players longer and we are having some overdue cup success.

The ground has had some investment, but it definitely needs more and hopefully that continues year on year. The owners do talk sense and you no longer have your heart in your mouth when you know one of them is speaking in public or writing in The Guardian.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
HerveJosse
February 9, 2023, 6:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,212
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from RonMariner

Bill Shankly?

George Kerr maybe?

George Kerr was great motivator and had a good eye for a player .Not the most sophisticated tactically. Inherited a good side from the underrated John Newman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 77
DB
February 9, 2023, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Pre/post match interviews with a BBC journalist - not exclusive.

Interviews with new signings - shouldn't be exclusive.

Highlights - Matchday Moments is a great piece of creative content that should be showed off to the world.

The interviews with returning legends, "day in the life" kind of series and training videos, no issues with these being charged for.

I don't complain about "everything" but I think the departure of our Head of Commercial suggests the club weren't impressed with the department either. I'm so sorry for wanting the club to be the best it can be.

Our ticket system is a joke, hopefully we are on with improving that this summer.

There is a lot of good however, we are finally getting the coaching/support setup that we need to put us on a par with rivals. We are holding on to our young players longer and we are having some overdue cup success.

The ground has had some investment, but it definitely needs more and hopefully that continues year on year. The owners do talk sense and you no longer have your heart in your mouth when you know one of them is speaking in public or writing in The Guardian.

On the 4th of May 2021 the club was in sh!t street. 1 day later a rebuilding program started, putting right all that was missing in the previous 17+ years plus trying to improve it.

Fast forward we are in a higher league, back into the EFL and the last 16 of the FA Cup.

Rome wasn't built in a day and nothing is perfect but the need to moan about anything at this time is a bit silly. We're on the up both on the field and off it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 77
BIron
February 11, 2023, 9:16am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: -98
Gold Stars: 2
A real dour, boring bloke. Should never have managed us, him giving it the fist pump when we beat you at your place was the closest I saw to any passion.

Clearly a match made in heaven for you lot though, credit where it’s due he’s done a cracking job, especially your FA Cup run this season (the worst set of fixtures you could have asked for though haha)  I would have liked to have seen how he would have got on managing us under a different owner though. We all knew He who must not be named was the real problem.

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 77
TheRealJohnLewis
February 11, 2023, 9:53am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from BIron
A real dour, boring bloke. Should never have managed us, him giving it the fist pump when we beat you at your place was the closest I saw to any passion.

Clearly a match made in heaven for you lot though, credit where it’s due he’s done a cracking job, especially your FA Cup run this season (the worst set of fixtures you could have asked for though haha)  I would have liked to have seen how he would have got on managing us under a different owner though. We all knew He who must not be named was the real problem.

UTI

I do get where you are coming from, while under Fenty a lot would have described PH as "dour, boring", but since returning under the new owner, he is thriving and we are getting to see the real PH.

No matter how good the managers are, they will get stifled while working for deviant owners.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 77
Hagrid
February 11, 2023, 9:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,477
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from BIron

UTI

you couldnt be further from the truth about him being dour and borin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 77
February 11, 2023, 10:40am
Guest User
Quoted from BIron

UTI

Don't know what you are doing on here, why don't you go back to your tinpot team in their tinpot league.

Reply: 65 - 77
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 11, 2023, 11:01am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from BIron

UTI

Maybe before, maybe it's working for the sort of owners he was working for previously, both here and with you. The Paul Hurst that we saw at the Fans Forum seemed happy and at ease, willing to talk and let his natural slightly cheeky sense of humour come through. To be fair though Scunny fans are not the best of judges, I mean, most of you said McAtee was lazy.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 77
mariner83
February 11, 2023, 11:07am

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Confused, does BIron want Hursty in charge of Scunny or not.  Their post gives off proper mixed signals.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 67 - 77
chaos33
February 11, 2023, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,970
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Why are you automatically entitled to all the things you say you should be, for free?!

Get a Mariners TV account. It’s about £4 a month.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 77
BIron
February 11, 2023, 12:14pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from mariner83
Confused, does BIron want Hursty in charge of Scunny or not.  Their post gives off proper mixed signals.

To avoid any confusion for you, absolutely not. He belongs down the road and he has done a great job for you. No denying that. I am just stating an opinion from the other side.

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 77
BIron
February 11, 2023, 12:17pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Don't know what you are doing on here, why don't you go back to your tinpot team in their tinpot league.

Found it interesting that our “tinpot team” in our “tinpot league”  is one of the main threads on your fan page still.

Actually appreciated the amount of posts wishing that we don’t go bust so felt obliged to post from our side of things. We have had one hell of a fall from  grace but you clearly have a short memory, pretty sure you spent a long time down here yourselves?

Always get one  clown don’t you.

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 77
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2023, 1:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIron

UTI

With Paul Hurst there is ambition and determination but no real ego on show, some people mistake that for a lack of passion, don’t be fooled by that. Just because a manager doesn’t leap around on the touch line or give stupid sound bite interviews doesn’t mean he’s dour.

Players trust Paul Hurst and appear to like playing for him that’s all that matters in reality.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 77
immariner
February 11, 2023, 1:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from BIron

Found it interesting that our “tinpot team” in our “tinpot league”  is one of the main threads on your fan page still.

Actually appreciated the amount of posts wishing that we don’t go bust so felt obliged to post from our side of things. We have had one hell of a fall from  grace but you clearly have a short memory, pretty sure you spent a long time down here yourselves?

UTI

He's a well-recognised clown mate, pay him no heed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 77
ginnywings
February 11, 2023, 2:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from BIron

UTI

We did and had plenty of your fans on here rubbing it in.

So don't be surprised that a few have had a go back now the boot is on the other foot. I remember saying that what goes around comes around and your turn in the cesspit league would come.

I didn't and don't want you to go bust, but I hope you go down another league yet and spend a few years of misery trying to get back. Lose a few play off semi's and a final or two for good measure.

Your welcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 77
rancido
February 11, 2023, 2:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,612
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ginnywings

We did and had plenty of your fans on here rubbing it in.

So don't be surprised that a few have had a go back now the boot is on the other foot. I remember saying that what goes around comes around and your turn in the cesspit league would come.

I didn't and don't want you to go bust, but I hope you go down another league yet and spend a few years of misery trying to get back. Lose a few play off semi's and a final or two for good measure.

Your welcome.

This in Spades !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 77
February 11, 2023, 2:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from immariner

He's a well-recognised clown mate, pay him no heed
  Idiot, you are more recognized as a clown than I am!

Reply: 75 - 77
immariner
February 11, 2023, 2:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from 123614
  Idiot, you are more recognized as a clown than I am!

Grow up Koko!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 77
February 11, 2023, 4:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from immariner

Grow up Koko!

*yawn*
Reply: 77 - 77
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.