forza ivano
February 8, 2023, 10:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,263
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Poojah

Yep, in my lifetime Alan Buckley remains the undisputed number one for the time being, with Hurst a respectable but distant second. It’s a cliff drop from there; I’m not sure I’d even know where to start.

Lawrie mac, Allenby Chilton for starters?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 77
Poojah
February 8, 2023, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,641
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from forza ivano

I was born in the mid-80s, so both a little before my time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 77
RonMariner
February 8, 2023, 10:39am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,775
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from forza ivano

Bill Shankly?

George Kerr maybe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 77
DB
February 8, 2023, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
There are somewhere in excess of 700+ teams who enter the FA Cup. There are now 700+ managers, including some from the prem, green with envy, looking up to those last 16 in the competition.

Paul Hurst is one of the last 16 managers on merit.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 77
buckstown
February 8, 2023, 5:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,185
Gold Stars: 79
Quite interesting in his post match, talked about the support, particularly away and how he tried to convince people to join us in the window
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 77
grimps
February 8, 2023, 5:46pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from aldi_01
The interesting thing about the naysayers when it comes to Hurst is that they often fail to provide an actual reason as to why they don’t think he’s very good…

Hurst is one promotion away from being the best town manager ever. Lord Buckley will always be the Lord, all clubs have a manager like that but Hurst has taken Town from the abyss twice. I know some will point to a relegation but anyone with half a brain knee we were down well before Hurst came back.

People often try and say he’s too pragmatic or sometimes negative but then fail to recognise games like last night or Wrexham, Chesterfield etc. all games where we took it to teams and won, deservedly so.

The club is rising again and whilst we may have to settle for consolidation in the league, a great cup run has been something unseen for many a year and financially puts us in a good position…

I remember Buckley had plenty of doubters even after two promotions and several cup runs .
He was fortunate it was the pre-internet days but I can remember lots of Town fans whinging about his type of ‘ Tippy Tappy Football ‘
Hurst is a Grimsby legend , in 10 or 20 years he’ll he remembered as an even bigger legend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 77
forza ivano
February 8, 2023, 6:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,263
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from buckstown
Quite interesting in his post match, talked about the support, particularly away and how he tried to convince people to join us in the window

don't remember that bit - got  a link?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 77
Mariner_501
February 8, 2023, 6:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +224
Gold Stars: 28
He’d have to get us to league one and keep us there to be in the same category as Buckley. But after Buckley he’s the second best manager in my lifetime, albeit there isn’t much to choose from
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 77
Spurn boy
February 8, 2023, 6:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Whichever way you look at it , I believe we are privileged to have had both Alan Buckley and Paul Hurst as our manager. Buckley’s team played tight pretty football and scored the majority of their goals from inside the penalty areas whilst Hurst’s teams are a bit more adventurous and score goals from anywhere.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 77
Poojah
February 8, 2023, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,641
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Spurn boy
Whichever way you look at it , I believe we are privileged to have had both Alan Buckley and Paul Hurst as our manager. Buckley’s team played tight pretty football and scored the majority of their goals from inside the penalty areas whilst Hurst’s teams are a bit more adventurous and score goals from anywhere.

Begs the question; what the fúck did we do to deserve all the fúckers in between?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.