4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
January 17, 2023, 8:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
As I've recently been made redundant again, I've decided to become an alcoholic. What alcoholic beverages do you recommend? I'm talking spirits here, none of your real ale or Chateau Neuf de urine wine. I want individual spirits not generic gin or vodka.

At present I love Single Malt Whisky because I'm a snob although I realise as I become more alcoholic I will be less picky. Current fave is Bruichladdich 'The classic Laddie' its an Islay but it's not peaty. £35 at Tesco with a Clubcard.

OK Go

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
GYinScuntland
January 17, 2023, 9:27pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,252
Gold Stars: 98
Any litre blended whisky that you can usually pick up for £16.99 should do the trick. Always remember to save half a pint for breakfast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
ginnywings
January 17, 2023, 10:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
As I've recently been made redundant again, I've decided to become an alcoholic. What alcoholic beverages do you recommend? I'm talking spirits here, none of your real ale or Chateau Neuf de urine wine. I want individual spirits not generic gin or vodka.

At present I love Single Malt Whisky because I'm a snob although I realise as I become more alcoholic I will be less picky. Current fave is Bruichladdich 'The classic Laddie' its an Islay but it's not peaty. £35 at Tesco with a Clubcard.

OK Go

Been to that distillery and had a tot or two. Not a big whisky lover but it's included in the tour.

It's ok to start on something of that calibre, but you will find as your dependence grows and your bank balance diminishes, Spar brand brandy will do the trick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
promotion plaice
January 17, 2023, 11:22pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200

I know I'm a weirdo but I only like drinking shorts with a mixer, I need to get myself out of that disgusting habit and start drinking it neat.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
DB
January 18, 2023, 5:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Mostly any that somebody else pays for.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
grimsby pete
January 18, 2023, 7:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Went the last year without a drink because of my heart operation.

Back on the vodka now plus the odd bottle of wine.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
OddShapedBalls
January 18, 2023, 10:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Penderyn madeira cask finish single malt is a very smooth whiskey, the bottles do not last long at my house
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
Maringer
January 18, 2023, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,618
Gold Stars: 185
Is that because you're so drunk that you keep dropping them?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
Les Brechin
January 18, 2023, 10:54am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Laphroaig and Talisker are my favourite whiskies.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
cmackenzie4
January 18, 2023, 11:44am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Tobermory is quite nice, I’m not a big fan of whiskey but I make an exception for Tobermory, I first tasted it when visiting Mull, we went around the distillery and after tasting it I bought a bottle.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
DB
January 18, 2023, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Tobermory is quite nice, I’m not a big fan of whiskey but I make an exception for Tobermory, I first tasted it when visiting Mull, we went around the distillery and after tasting it I bought a bottle.

Did it have anything in it. lol  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
ginnywings
January 18, 2023, 5:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
Penderyn madeira cask finish single malt is a very smooth whiskey, the bottles do not last long at my house

Mrs G is a big fan of Penderyn. She is the Whisky lover in our house; dont like the stuff myself.

We visit Scotland a lot and have been to countless distilleries, and all those mentioned in this thread. Think there are 8 or 9 on Islay alone and some more planned.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
moosey_club
January 18, 2023, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,274
Gold Stars: 226
Tequila Rose.....tastes like strawberry milk shake or maybe like Calpol crucifies me everytime.

Younger members of the family go for a can of Dragon Soup when they want something with an edge...a 7 per cent ish energy drink  type thing, reliably informed its effective.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 22, 2023, 1:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I've moved along with my alcoholism, sorry whisky journey, since starting this thread and have discovered smokey peaty whisky, Ardbeg in particular. Tobermory do a very good peated whisky which I wouldn't mind trying. Ledaig (pronounced Letch-ick). The wife is visiting Tobermory as part of a cruise she's going on later in the year, I'm trying to persuade her to visit the distillery shop.

I'm not a very good alcoholic as it seems I only drink whisky. I keep wanting to try Tequila but I've found that the world of Tequila is nearly as complex as the world of whisky. I know there is a poster who absolutely adores vodka, so maybe I should experiment a bit more.

Looking for recommendations and I shall re-visit this thread occasionally to up date on my slide towards alcoholic oblivion.

No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
chaos33
March 23, 2023, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,969
Gold Stars: 360
Try Bowmore whisky mate.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
Hagrid
March 23, 2023, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,474
Gold Stars: 536
i drink disarano
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
OddShapedBalls
March 23, 2023, 11:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

Mrs G is a big fan of Penderyn. She is the Whisky lover in our house; dont like the stuff myself.

We visit Scotland a lot and have been to countless distilleries, and all those mentioned in this thread. Think there are 8 or 9 on Islay alone and some more planned.

A lady of refined taste, clearly!  The Penderyn tour only takes about 15 mins which was a shock, several times I've just rocked up and they've done it though without a booking which is nice (it's not much of a diversion from my Lincoln-Llanelli route)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 24, 2023, 2:07am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Try Bowmore whisky mate.

Its on the list mate but not at the top. I'm aiming to make my next Islay purchase Ardbeg Uigeadail, Then theres Port Charlotte, Octomore, I'd really like a bottle of Lagavulin preferably the 16 and I suppose I'd better try some Laphroaig although thats below Bowmore. Theres also Kilchoman, Caol Ila and Ardnahoe. So I've got a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair, two bottles of Bruichladdich Classic Laddie and then I discovered peat so I've got a bottle of Ardbeg 5 Wee Beastie and a bottle of Ardbeg 10. I think I'll hit Speyside once I've finished on Islay but I'll definitely try some Bowmore sooner rather than later.

If you want an altogether lighter, peat and smoke free, whisky I'd give Auchentoshan a try you can usually pick up the American Oak on offer at Tesco and very nice it is too.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 24, 2023, 2:16am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
i drink disarano

Each to their own mate.

I don't drink it because it tastes like marzipan, which I hate. Missus Barmy likes it though and I'm pretty sure the Barmyettes love it too, although one of them likes anything alcoholic.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 24, 2023, 1:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,830
Gold Stars: 555

Its on the list mate but not at the top. I'm aiming to make my next Islay purchase Ardbeg Uigeadail, Then theres Port Charlotte, Octomore, I'd really like a bottle of Lagavulin preferably the 16 and I suppose I'd better try some Laphroaig although thats below Bowmore. Theres also Kilchoman, Caol Ila and Ardnahoe. So I've got a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair, two bottles of Bruichladdich Classic Laddie and then I discovered peat so I've got a bottle of Ardbeg 5 Wee Beastie and a bottle of Ardbeg 10. I think I'll hit Speyside once I've finished on Islay but I'll definitely try some Bowmore sooner rather than later.

I was never a fan of whisky as a youth; only discovering the joys of it in my late 30s. So I skipped most of the gateway brands and squelched straight into the boggy stuff in the form of Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10.

I’ve now moved on to Uigeadail, which is now my whisky of choice and nursed me through the post-Wrexham playoff match from the back of a campervan in Iceland.

Not sure where to go from Uigeadail or whether that will be my pinnacle.

I’ve been to a couple of Japanese distilleries, which were pretty good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
Mappers
March 24, 2023, 4:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,383
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from moosey_club
Tequila Rose.....tastes like strawberry milk shake or maybe like Calpol crucifies me everytime.

Younger members of the family go for a can of Dragon Soup when they want something with an edge...a 7 per cent ish energy drink  type thing, reliably informed its effective.

Had a can of that dragon soup  once by mistake ,thought it was a relentless energy drink  - then was wondering what the hit was after going through most the can ,in a bad way .The wife wasnt happy when i couldnt drive her to the shop ,thought i had done it on purpose .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
moosey_club
March 28, 2023, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,274
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mappers

Had a can of that dragon soup  once by mistake ,thought it was a relentless energy drink  - then was wondering what the hit was after going through most the can ,in a bad way .The wife wasnt happy when i couldnt drive her to the shop ,thought i had done it on purpose .

😂

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
immariner
March 29, 2023, 7:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61

OK Go

I've only just got into whisky in my mid-30s. Not ventured to anything more expensive than Highland 12 yet, but I think that's well tasty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 29, 2023, 10:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from immariner

I've only just got into whisky in my mid-30s. Not ventured to anything more expensive than Highland 12 yet, but I think that's well tasty

If you mean Highland Park 12 then yes it is very tasty. It was one of the whiskies that turned me from someone who just used to throw back a glass of Bells to someone who is learning to appreciate whisky and I'm nearly 58. Wish I'd got into it in my mid thirties. I am typing this as I enjoy a dram of Ardbeg 5 Wee Beastie, I'll be needing another bottle soon, it's bloody lovely.

At this rate I'm going to have to arrange a Fishy Whisky night.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
Withnail
March 30, 2023, 4:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
My poisons of choice when it comes to whisky/whiskey are:

Scotch - The Glenrothes, Cardhu Gold Reserve.

Irish - Green Spot, Jameson Black Barrel.

Liberal measure with a finger of water to help bring the flavour out.

Disclaimer: I can't abide the peaty stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
gytone
March 31, 2023, 4:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
Can't beat a drop of good rum, I've been to Cuba a few times and some of the rum available is Nectar from the gods. Unfortunately I've not managed to get to Cuba since before covid so not sure of the prices now, but it was very reasonable beforehand.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
April 1, 2023, 10:58am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from gytone
Can't beat a drop of good rum, I've been to Cuba a few times and some of the rum available is Nectar from the gods. Unfortunately I've not managed to get to Cuba since before covid so not sure of the prices now, but it was very reasonable beforehand.

I can drink white rum especially in cocktails, you can't beat a good mojito, but surprisingly, I don't care for the normal stuff and the spiced stuff, to me, is awful.I was gifted a bottle of Woods one christmas and after opening and taking one drink it is now sat on my shelf gathering dust.

Added advantage of drinking whisky is that it's easier to get to Scotland than Cuba.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
promotion plaice
April 1, 2023, 3:04pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200

When I was in Florida a few weeks ago I mainly drank tea.

Twisted tea, can, alcohol content of 5%  

Made with whisky and real brewed tea, actually surprisingly good.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
April 2, 2023, 7:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

When I was in Florida a few weeks ago I mainly drank tea.

Twisted tea, can, alcohol content of 5%  

Made with whisky and real brewed tea, actually surprisingly good.

Can't say I particularly like the sound of it, but then I don't like tea. There must be an awful lot of tea in it to take the alcohol content down to 5%. Then again if they told me I could go to Florida as long as I drank one of those a day I'm sure I could manage.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
supertown
April 5, 2023, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,460
Gold Stars: 53
Jamesons (normal, not black barrel)
Cardu

Both affordable smooth whiskies
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
April 7, 2023, 12:08am
Snakebite drinker
I always think Jameson is a little, well a little average. Same with Bushmills. They're far from being rubbish but if I had my choice of Irish whiskies I'd probably go for the Red Breast. Not tried Cardhu.

Most whiskies at 40% ABV are 'smooth' unless its Laphroaig.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
April 12, 2023, 12:15am
Snakebite drinker
I'd just like to say

Lagavulin 8

That is all

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
ginnywings
May 15, 2023, 8:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Arrived in Norn Iron yesterday. Heading up to the Giants Causeway and Bushmills later on today.

No doubt we will have a look around the distillery and have a sample or three.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
aldi_01
May 17, 2023, 7:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ginnywings
Arrived in Norn Iron yesterday. Heading up to the Giants Causeway and Bushmills later on today.

No doubt we will have a look around the distillery and have a sample or three.

Went on a stag do a few years ago up to Edinburgh, did one of those distillery tours, found it really interesting to be honest. Not a whisky drinker in the slightest so the free samples were a waste but still a good day nonetheless, especially after being a tad apprehensive in the first instance…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 20, 2023, 8:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,306
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from promotion plaice

I know I'm a weirdo but I only like drinking shorts with a mixer, I need to get myself out of that disgusting habit and start drinking it neat.

No problem. For breakfast I recommend vodka on your cornflakes. We can call it a mixer.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Alcohol

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.