2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
lee65
December 27, 2022, 4:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Just looked at the table, still a decent gap to the bottom two (and we are closer to the play-offs than relegation) but on form over the last 6 games we are third worst in the league with 4 points from a possible 18, with only the current bottom two with a worse record.

I believe will will be ok, but due to the anxiety caused by supporting Town over many years, a small part of me is beginning to worry that if not careful we could be sleepwalking in to a very nervy last part of the season if we don’t kick on soon. We’ve seen before how hard it can be to get away once you are down there  
Logged Offline
Private Message
pen penfras
December 28, 2022, 9:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from lee65
Just looked at the table, still a decent gap to the bottom two (and we are closer to the play-offs than relegation) but on form over the last 6 games we are third worst in the league with 4 points from a possible 18, with only the current bottom two with a worse record.

I believe will will be ok, but due to the anxiety caused by supporting Town over many years, a small part of me is beginning to worry that if not careful we could be sleepwalking in to a very nervy last part of the season if we don’t kick on soon. We’ve seen before how hard it can be to get away once you are down there  

It's more concerning when you look at how bad the bottom 2 are and they both should have beaten us. Fortunately, we scraped enough points early on that we should stay clear of the bottom unless a really terrible run happens. But we are shite and the failure to even attempt to capitalise on all those new season ticket holders is very poor.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Limerick Mariner
December 28, 2022, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from pen penfras

It's more concerning when you look at how bad the bottom 2 are and they both should have beaten us. Fortunately, we scraped enough points early on that we should stay clear of the bottom unless a really terrible run happens. But we are shite and the failure to even attempt to capitalise on all those new season ticket holders is very poor.

Harsh. We are 4 points behind Stockport, who have a significantly bigger budget and had 3 extra weeks to add to their squad after promotion, and it's a feck-sight easier to get players to Greater Manchester than NE Lincs. Our first-choice front line hasn't played together all season.

Squad assembly has been generally good save the perennial problem in securing someone competent to lead the line. If we'd a 20-goal-a-season player in this squad we'd be in a play-off position. Hurst doesn't generally sign players that don't fit so I'm puzzled by the signing of Orsi as our only new permanent front-player as he doesn't seem to fit in any Hurst system. We will probably have to pay a bit over the odds as a fee and or wages but I still expect this will be rectified in this window. If it isn't that will be very disappointing admittedly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
sydney
December 28, 2022, 6:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Relegation Scrap?
Or have we enough in the tank?
Next 2 games key
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
ginnywings
December 28, 2022, 8:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,129
Gold Stars: 548
Not even half way through the season yet and a transfer window looming. Plenty of time to sort the problems, plus I don't think there are that many sides that are head and shoulders above us.

Even if we continue to struggle, I think we will get to or beyond 50 points, which is almost always enough.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
chaos33
December 28, 2022, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,930
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from pen penfras

I mean, those last two remarks are just crass. We are clearly not ‘sh1te’ - we are middling and inconsistent, and lacking in a couple of areas, like the vast majority in this league. On our day we’ve looked a really good team. I’ve seen some truly sh1te Town teams over the years, and they were way, way poorer than this. As for ‘not even attempting to capitalise’….just a daft thing to say. The manager has been backed and will continue to be so I’m sure as a work in progress. Get yourself a couple of reality tablets and neck them with a glass of pragmatism juice.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2022, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
Not even half way through the season yet and a transfer window looming. Plenty of time to sort the problems, plus I don't think there are that many sides that are head and shoulders above us.

Even if we continue to struggle, I think we will get to or beyond 50 points, which is almost always enough.

With regards to the “head and shoulders “ comment, that’s the frustration to me. We should have 6, 8, maybe even 10 points more than we have but our inability to finish off games is costing us badly.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Mariner_09
December 28, 2022, 10:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from MuddyWaters

With regards to the “head and shoulders “ comment, that’s the frustration to me. We should have 6, 8, maybe even 10 points more than we have but our inability to finish off games is costing us badly.

This is the issue for me. We should certainly have 6 more points with wins at Harrogate and Hartlepool. Reality also is a proper side capable of winning promotion would’ve seized the moment and won games like Salford, Bradford and Sutton in particular. Things would look a hell of a lot different if that’s what had happened, but that merely lays bare how we need to improve if we’re to really challenge. I almost feel it’s a mentality thing, players and even the manager need to see a game that is there to be won in front of us and kill them off, plus better quality makes that a lot easier. That will come in January and during the summer as I’m sure the side will improve. If we have a January akin to last year, we’ll jump up the league as there is very, very little between the majority of the sides in this league.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2022, 11:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mariner_09

This is the issue for me. We should certainly have 6 more points with wins at Harrogate and Hartlepool. Reality also is a proper side capable of winning promotion would’ve seized the moment and won games like Salford, Bradford and Sutton in particular. Things would look a hell of a lot different if that’s what had happened, but that merely lays bare how we need to improve if we’re to really challenge. I almost feel it’s a mentality thing, players and even the manager need to see a game that is there to be won in front of us and kill them off, plus better quality makes that a lot easier. That will come in January and during the summer as I’m sure the side will improve. If we have a January akin to last year, we’ll jump up the league as there is very, very little between the majority of the sides in this league.

I’ve just listened to the half hour interview Hurst has done today with Humberside and I’m probably even more frustrated afterwards, particularly with the comments he attributed to the owners about ‘how far we’ve come and how much we’ve improved’. I’m not saying we haven’t improved but I’m yet to see a team that’s actually that much better than we are and we’re, to a large extent, operating with a very similar team to last season. We could have easily won 12-14 points from the last eight games rather than the 5 we got.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Croxton
December 29, 2022, 9:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Only just noticed that this round of fixtures largely pits teams above us against those below us. After travelling to Harrogate my glass is now half empty and I am looking over our shoulder.

Sorry DB but I think we are already in a scrap. Even though it harms our chances of playoffs I want all the teams below, and just above us, to lose today and tomorrow. We had our fun in May.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Last 6 league games

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.